I need help

storyman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I was first diagnosed with Diabetes, nearly two years ago, I was told by the consultant at the hospital to buy a meter to help me controll my blood sugar levels, and that I would get the prickers and strips on prescription. I did and I haven't!!!

When I take my blood levels with me to the Doctors, they don't even bother to look at them. I was advised to go and see the Doctor by my dentist a couple of months back, because she felt that my blood sugars were probably up as my gums were bleeding etc, and I had to agree because they had been up when I tested them over the previous couple of weeks, but the Doctor just looked at an eight month old blood test that was on her computer and said they looked fine, making me feel as if I had wasted her time. So I ask myself, why bother. The strips are £25 a box, but if I am the only one taking any notice of the results is it worth it?

I have been working hard to keep my blood sugars down on my own and would really appreciate any advice or help that anyone could give. I am beginning to feel depressed and quite stressed with the situation.

Tony

Grazer

Same old problem. They don't want to give us strips (cost) so don't like to acknowledge us doing it for ourselves. For a starter, if you haven't signed our e-petition on the subject, please do and get the people you know to do the same. Here's a link.:-

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/20537

You should keep testing though, it's vital, but accept you do it for yourself and that the doctor won't be interested. Use it to adjust your diet. You say that your diet is just "healthy eating", (in your profile), but that means different things to different people. I know you've been diabetic for a while, but below is a note I've sent to newly diagnosed people that you might find useful because it covers things like testing. And if your blood sugars are high, you need to make changes.

In general terms you will need to reduce the total number of carbohydrates you eat per day. All carbohydrates turn to sugar when we eat them, and no type 2 diabetic on diet only, or on diet and metformin only, can control their blood sugars (BGs) without controlling their carb intake. Even those on strong medication normally choose to control their carb intake to keep the level of medication they take down. The total number of carbs per day you can eat depends on how advanced your diabetes is. It’s perhaps worth starting at about 50% of normal levels for a non-diabetic then adjusting up or down according to how you get on. That’s 150 grams of carbs per day for a man, 125 for a woman. You can read the total carb content of food under “nutritional info” on the packet or wrapping, or look it up on the internet for loose food. Just google “carb content..”
You also need to stop or reduce the bad carbs; that is the starchy ones that make your BG go up quickly.
So obviously no sugar or glucose! But also no white bread, white rice, pasta, flour products like pastry, cake and batter. You can eat a little basmati rice, wholewheat pasta or the tri-color pasta fusilli ones in small quantities. Boiled new potatos are OK but not old pots mashed, boiled or in their jackets. (Roast is not so bad, the fat slows their absorption and conversion to glucose in the blood) Amongst other veg, parsnips are about the worst for BG, and carrots not great but ok in smaller amounts.
Multi grain bread (not wholemeal) is not SO bad, but lots of us eat Burgen soya and linseed bread from tescos and sainsburys, although all bread should be in limited amounts.
All fruit has carbohydrates, and needs to be included in the amounts of carbs you eat in a day. For most people, bananas are about the worst for pushing our BG up and berries (like strawberries, raspberries etc) are the least bad.
No sweeties!
Exercise is important. I tend to exercise about an hour after eating when I know my BG will be peaking. This helps to bring it down quicker and further. I do ten minutes hard work on an exercise machine, but you could run up and down stairs for ten minutes or go for a brisk walk.
Returning to types of food and quantities of carbs - you can only find out how many you can eat by testing. Most type 2’s are not given access to testing equipment, so you should get your own – although try arguing with your Doc that you want to manage to NICE guideline blood sugar levels, and can’t do that without testing! If you have to buy a meter, they are cheap and most manufacturers will give them away for free. They make their money on the strips you have to use! So go for the meter with the cheapest testing strips. Some people test before and after eating, on waking (fasting test) and before bed. But if you have limited strips because of cost, the key to me is testing 2 hours after eating. If your BG is above, say, 7.8 at that stage, you need to cut down on the carb content the next time you have that meal. Test after various different meals and you soon get to see a pattern of what you can and can’t eat, and in what quantities. You can then reduce your testing. I said “below, say, 7.8” because NICE guidelines are below 8.5 but most of us think that’s a little high. 7.8 is the max. Level at 2 hours after eating that a non-diabetic normally gets to so is perhaps a better target. Some then set progressively lower targets.
Do ask lots of questions; there is normally an answer on here. The more you get to learn about your diabetes, the better it will be.
Good luck!

A

Anonymous

Hi Storyman,

what sort of levels are your readings showing? We're a nosey bunch and will certainly look at the numbers even if your GP won't.

S

storyman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the help. I am on Metformin 500mg per day and diet, usually fresh meat fish and veg, we do our own cooking and don't often have processed food. I take my blood sugars every morning, when I started I manage to keep them at about 6.7 for over a year, but the last three or four months they have crept up to the eights and then the nines, and a couple of mornings lately into the tens.

I seem to be on edge all the time lately, not sleeping well, and down in the dumps when that has never been the case before.

Thanks again for the help

Tony

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Have you checked the Internet for lower cost test strips? You can buy them from some suppliers without VAT if you click the box for being a diabetic. Cost depends on mailing costs, but you may find it saves money overall. I wouldn't rely too much on morning tests due to overnight liver-dumps that may affect them. I would be more inclined to test 2 hours after your main meal which should relate more closely to what you've eaten. BTW you are not alone in having a GP who ignores your meter test results. They only want to know Hba1C results which are good in themselves but tell you nothing about what foods affect you and spikes.

storyman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for your help. Where should I start looking for the strips and pickers.

Tony

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Hi storyman and welcome.

At the moment the most cost effective meter and strips is one called an SD CODEFREE. Many forum members have been buying it recently because the test strips are a lot cheaper than other meters. The cheapest place is to get it from the healthcare.co.uk shop on eBay. You can pick up the meter, a case and spikey thing plus an initial 50 strips for under £20. If you can afford to I'd buy as many additional strips as you can on the initial order as it will save you P&P later on. When you run out of strips they will then cost £4.99 / 50. Make sure you get a UK version of the meter that measures mmol/l and not the US version that is in mg/dl or otherwise the numbers that show will be very confusing!

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
I've ordered from them twice now and both times I recieved the strips the following day via Royal mail! I'm very happy with this eBay seller and would recommend to anyone on a low budget or anyone else in fact,the meter is a bit chunky and basic BUT it does what it says on the tin! :D

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also have the SD Codefree meter, thanks to recommendations from those on this site, and have bought it, and the strips from Amazon. Fast service, and no problems. I recommend it.

storyman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone, I have been using an Accu-Chek Compact, I liked it because I could plug it into my PC and keep a record of everytime I have used it. If I am going to test more than once a day I am going to need something that is a lot cheaper.

I took my blood sugars two hours after lunch and it was 5.5 and first thing this morning before I had anything to eat or drink it was 9.3. What should it be?

Again thanks for your help, I am feeling a lot better than I did first thing this morning

Tony