I need some motivation please

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Since I started running my bg higher to get hypo awareness back, I'm afraid I've lost all motivation to get better control again. I do now have SOME hypo awareness, although it tends to come and go in fits and starts. For example I have had clear warnings at 3.5 but have again been below 2.0 with no warnings at all.

To add more misery to it, my last hba1c was an incredible 8.4 (I say incredible because I'm normally around 7.5). I have posted before about my dilemma of whether to run lower to improve my hba1c and possibly lose hypo warnings again, or to continue to run higher with a rubbish hba1c but with hypo warnings. I am seeing my consultant in May but knowing me I will just go in and pretend everything is fine, and come away wishing I'd been more honest.

I just can't 'be bothered' to try any more. I'm sick of doing all the blood tests, and have lately gone through the day maybe testing once or twice, instead of the usual 5 or 6 times. And when I have tested I've hardly been able to look at the result, through fear of it being sky high. Then I overcompensate with correction does through disgust at being so high. I know the problems but I'm just tired of it and I fear I'm becoming stuck in a rut.

Sorry to go on guys.

cyb3rminx

Dislikes
anything that is good for you
hi i have the best thing for motavation i use it every day.
If im having one of those days or weeks i find one of my 4 children and get a hug off them i know this sounds so simple but it is such an amazing feeling when my 3 year old gives me a big hug and tells me he loves me millions :D . it works for me everytime ive been diabetic almost 2 years now and im still learning and some days i think to my self why me but i think its because i can handle it we all have the odd moment of weakness were are only human :D. When i go see my consultant i am very much like you so i take my partner who tells them the truth :D i hope you feel better soon

Heath

My choice would be a definite ..... go for the lower A1c and do more BG readings, after all what else are fingers for ? : )

maryrachel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Beetroot
Lucie you sound just like I feel. I used to have good control but lately its all gone to pot. My hypo symptons are randon like yours and really at a Hba1c of 7.5 I cant beleive running higher still thant that is the key. However you have not said how long you have been running higher? Maybe it takes a bit longer than we think. If you have only been doing this for a couple of months I would suggest keeping at that level for a bit longer and see how it goes. But not for any great length of time. I know that is easier said than done because you feel tired, achy etc running that high. Its a balance really between the risk of a serious hypo and long term complications but if it is just higher for 6 months or so I think the risk is worth taking as the short term risk of hypo are more serious right now.

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
Hi Lucie, it gets to us all at times! you know what you have to do but doing it is soooooooo tiresome at times.......your higher hba1c is more than likely because of your higher BG levels, as you know. You are doing that for a reason. It is not a dangerously high number so well done for that! Hypo awareness is a tricky business when you get below 2 so there must be something going on to make you drop that low. Are you carb counting? are your ratio's correct? Don't forget, you could be 1 ratio for 6 months and then need to change so that is why it's so important to keep testing. Can you get a meter which you can use to download spreadsheets? These are really helpful for identifying the 'danger' times of the day when you need less basal or bolus.

Keep at it!! tomorrow is another day :wink: