i need to stop smoking!!

scotchpie

Dislikes
not being able to eat when i like, rudeness, liars and bad weather.
Can anyone give me any tips on stopping? I've been taking a stop smoking drug called champix for more than two weeks now and still cant get through a day without smoking :shock:

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Have you noticed a change in blood sugars. I expect the doctor warned you about this particular drug.

People with diabetes who smoke normally need more insulin, as smoking reduces the amount of insulin that is absorbed into the blood from an injection under the skin. If you have diabetes and are giving up smoking, you may subsequently need a reduction in your insulin dose. Discuss this with your doctor.

Have you tried patches ? Cold Turkey? not easy I know.

valattrevear

Dislikes
Vegetables!
scotchpie, I really do feel for you, as I was a longterm heavy smoker :oops: You might find it an incentive to know that from being a swimming & water skiing fanatic I now sit in a chair all day struggling to get my next breath. Trust me it's not worth the pleasure [and yes, I did get pleasure from smoking]. You are quite young enough to stop this happening, and believe me I do so hope you do. Hard to do, easy to give advice, but take it from me you need to do it for yourself :!: Just stop, I did it overnight, because the Doc said stop or die, unfortunately I didn't do it early enough. There are no quick fixes, but I was so scared I didn't even want a cigarette once I had really set my mind to it. Good luck to you, the only thing I can say is do something to keep your hands occupied :!:

scotchpie

Dislikes
Hi sue, congrats on your 10.000th post!
My bg is all over the place at the mo as i have been struggling a wee bit lately so i woud'nt notice a change if it happened.
The doctor did'nt warn me about taking this drug. Is there something i should know?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
the day i was diagnosed i stopped, i went cold turkey and believe me it was extremely hard,
ive now been stopped over 5yrs :D it is really hard i know but you have to persevere

dad101255

The drugs/gum/patches etc are not a 'cure' for smoking. They all have their place, I used gum, but I believe giving up smoking happens in your head. Try to think of loads of positive things about not smoking and negative things about smoking. Even to the extent of not using the term 'stop smoking' when refering to smoking. Stopping is negative. Becoming a non-smoker is positive.
Write 2 lists. List 1 containing the things you like about smoking. List 2 containing the things you dislike about smoking. I think you'll be very surprised at the difference in the length of your lists.
Make realistic short term targets and reward yourself for achieving them.
You'll be unable to avoid telling yourself 'how long it's been'. Use this to your advantage. If you smoke after a break of, say, 3 days, you'll need to start counting from 1 again. This becomes a very powerful tool when you're in to weeks and then months.
We all tick in a different way. Try to come up with loads of little things like this that work specifically for you. The more you come up with, no matter how small, the more ammunition you have in your armoury. I called it a battle between my head and my chest. You need to hang in until your head wins every time. I was a heavy smoker for thirty years, I now cycle sometimes hundreds a miles a week. Good luck with it. I really do hope this will be of help.

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I gave up smoking nearly 5 years ago, I did it cold turkey no patches, gum nothing! I tried unsuccessfully for years to give up the dreaded weed, but to no avail. So one morning I decided enough was enough and I would just STOP, yeah it was hard but I kept busy, kept cleaning my teeth and chewed sweets and gum, after 2 weeks I lost the urge to smoke. After 5 weeks I went on holiday, I thought I would start smoking again being in the company of other smokers, luckily by then the smell of smoking turned my stomach and made me feel sick. So my advice is to just try it cold turkey. It may work for you, it might not, but all I know is putting more drugs into your body won't be doing you much good either!

tezza

i need to stop also ,its hard ,i live alone in letts say a ruff area ,get no sleep thursday,friday.saturday ,noise off pub down the road so the first thing i do when im that mad at being woken up again is lite up,(not in bed )relieves the stress,anyway this worked for me last time put a couple of ciggies in a packet put packet in a draw you dont often use or a coat that you dont wear,i found if i did not have the money to buy some and none in the house thats when i craved for a smoke,i supose it,s mind over matter so to speak,good luck. :)

andy_hull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi

i stopped smoking using champix, finsihed my 3 month course 2 weeks ago i was daiagnosed as a t2 a month ago. the urge to smoke should be easing off by now, i would speak to your stop smoking support worker before you do anything, there are different doses and it maybe that an alternative treatment would work better for you

andy

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
I gave up in 2004 with hypnotherapy and a strong motivator:

I "understood" all the risks of smoking, my problem was I really enjoyed it, so although I wanted to give up, had zero will power to succeed. When I woke one morning with a "spider's web" masking the vision in one eye (retinal bleed), I booked in for NLP-style hypnotherapy the same day, paid £250 for one session and have never smoked (or wanted to) since.

My guy used NLP to achieve the result, and it's important you believe in the process, but I'm open-minded and can honestly say it was the best money I ever spent. After much laser and meddling with blood pressure meds my bleeds have stopped, I finally have stable retinas and can now read the penultimate line on an optician's letter chart.

dragongirl

If NLP isn't your thing, you could try EFT. I see you're in Inverness which isn't terribly close to the Fife area but I can highly recommend Gill Wightman and she also will work by phone - she gives you 20 mins free discussion first to see if she can help or you can get on with her. It may be worth a try? I have no financial or other benefit in recommending her. Her website is at eastneuktherapies.co.uk/

DG

jenrose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
very cold and very hot weather
I stopped smoking about 30 years ago and I think the best advice I had was to write down all the benefits of not smoking on a piece of paper and then stick the paper to where you will see it all the time so that you reinforce the message in to your brain because I have found that being really determined to stop helps a lot. I stopped cold turkey but did not have diabetes then and sucked a lot of sweets. My husband promised me he would stop smoking when we got married (10 years ago) but he couldn't do it all in one go so dropped to 20 a day and then it took a few years to drop to 10 a day and he is still smoking 10 a day. He won't write down a list and put it on the fridge or somewhere because deep down he feels he will be deprived if he doesn't smoke at all even though he is seeing my father dying of COPD. What is worse suffering from giving up for a few weeks or suffering from the effects of tobacco inhalation for years?

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I gave up around 3 years ago after waking in the middle of the night unable to breath, fear is a great motivator, but I did download a no smoking wallpaper for my PC which helped reinforce my determination to give up.

If you want one search google for 'no smoking wallpaper' I chose one with lots of fag butts in an ashtray - revolting

scotchpie

Dislikes
Hey guys thanks for all your advice and the time it took to give it.
I have, in the past, tried a lot of the ideas that you've mentioned along with NRT and have not stayed my smoking longer than a few months. That was before i was T1 and really understood how much harm it could cause me. I've never wanted to stop more but also never found it harder to quit.
I stopped on Saturday night, after a haloween party, and did'nt have another till about 4pm today (Mon).
If i'm honest i'm struggling to adjust to T1 and find it almost impossible to cut everything out even long enough to get a clear idea of my bg levels.
Trying to cut out alcohol, sweets and cakes, snacks when i want them, pot :shock:, and just change everything at once seems daunting. I've tried giving up one thing at a time but i have a very addictive personality (always have had) :oops:and have been advised that i need to give it all up in order to get my levels recognised.
Dont get me wrong, i love life and want it to be as long as possible but lately, im struggling to make it happen.

valattrevear

Dislikes
Vegetables!
scotchpie, it isn't going to happen overnight, and don't beat yourself up when it doesn't. Something to make you laugh,[I hope], ten years ago my GP, a great chap who is now sadly dead, told me I HAD to stop smoking, no ifs ands or buts, it had to happpen! I duly threw away the demon tobacco, and didn't smoke for a fortnight :) :) . Over this time I got shirtier and shirtier, my temper,never the sweetest, became shorter and shorter! After an argument with Rob one day he looked at me, Rob that is, and said get to the Doc, both your eyeballs are full of blood :shock: . On arrival at the surgery Ken took one look, grinned and said go out and buy a packet of fags girl, before your blood pressure knocks out your brain instead of a few blood vessels. :oops: :oops:
Learn not to put yourself under unneccessary pressure! Take your time, when you are ready you will know, you will find the reserves of will power you need and you will succeed. In the meantime at least you know you are helping yourself diet wise! By the way, none of us are perfect :lol:
Val

Kastrian

I gave up smoking 1yr ago and have to say it's one of the hardest things I've ever done. I did it with Nicorette Inhalers and will power, it was hard at first but i just kept telling myself that it's never to late to give up and all the pro's of not smoking. I still miss smoking now but for my health I am glad I gave up. I do so hope that you manage to stop smoking, it's surprising how little time you have to not be smoking to feel better for it, no more morning cough for me and a lot less out of breath now.
good luck with it all, just keep at it I'm sure you will get there

You can get champix over the counter without a prescription in most of Asia.Better watch it,lots of cases of diabetics unreported after its usage.Its no fun being a diabetic even if u quit smoking
i think the drug needs to be banned till more R&D has been done on it,apparently you could also end up as a suicidal lemming.
Tell your family to stop stressing you out to quit smoking if they like you to be around a little longer :D

TracyA

Dislikes
Liars and ignorant people.
I gave up smoking together with my hubby over 4 years ago.I never ever thought I'd be a non smoker.We were buying 80 ciggies aday between us and at the time we were only 34 and 35 :? We both started smoking very young,at 12 years old.
My hubby did it cold turkey,but I had to have a little help with patches,I was a non smoker within 2 weeks.My main reason was my youngest was a micro preemie and the smell of the cigs was on our clothing so everytime we held her we had to change clothes,wash and clean our teeth etc.Also the money thing was an issue.I tried hypnotism too,but it didnt work for me.I wish you loads of luck,its a hard job but can be done. :wink:

bobkennuk

http://www.news-medical.net/news/2008/05/25/38637.aspx

Check out this website on the side affects of Champix. You'll have to copy and paste into your browser