I should have appreciated the lows!

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm 22 weeks now and it's like over night I've gone from needing very little insulin to needing soooooo much! still trying to tweek my rates so had a full day of 7.2-9.8 yesterday which cracked me up! I moaned about constantly being low up until now but my god that was so much easier I'm not used to readings like this! Lol X

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like your 'honeymoon' period is tapering off.

If it's same as mine, you can expect a few months of uncertainty as it kicked in and out randomly and made it a lottery for a while...

It has settled down though and I can inject with certainty with respect to carbs and don't have hypos overnight. Small steps I'm afraid!

ha ha... should have had a look at the forum section before I posted! :banghead:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sounds like your 'honeymoon' period is tapering off.

If it's same as mine, you can expect a few months of uncertainty as it kicked in and out randomly and made it a lottery for a while...

It has settled down though and I can inject with certainty with respect to carbs and don't have hypos overnight. Small steps I'm afraid!

It's just the normal pattern of pregnancy :) Insulin resistance kicks in big time around then, and leads to major insulin increases. All perfectly normal :)

@Mrsass I agree the hypos were easier : D For me, the most difficult thing as my insulin resistance increased in pregnancy was getting my head round the huge increases needed to my basal and to my ratios. Eg by the end of pregnancy my basal had almost tripled!

My only tip is test lots and correct if necessary. I did quite a few corrections as pregnancy went on.

I can't believe you're 22 weeks already. Enjoy every minute (despite the hard work!) xx

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know it's flying by @azure

I just can't believe how quickly it's changed I was still having to set a temp basal over night this time last week where I've now increased all my basal rates and still not quite giving me the numbers I want to see so I've tweeked again today and will see how I go but even eating a really low carb brekkie this morning hasn't made much of a difference.
I did know this would happen so was expecting it but thought I would be able to adjust doses and all would be fine but I can see this is going to take some work! Lol x

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Breakfast was my worst meal. I ended up bolusing well in advance of eating it. I was still able to have my usual cereal, but by the end of pregnancy I was injecting more than double the bolus and about twice the time in advance! You could try moving your bolus forward mor maybe?

You're doing the right thing tweaking. Better to proceed carefully and gradually :)

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Breakfast was my worst meal. I ended up bolusing well in advance of eating it. I was still able to have my usual cereal, but by the end of pregnancy I was injecting more than double the bolus and about twice the time in advance! You could try moving your bolus forward mor maybe?

You're doing the right thing tweaking. Better to proceed carefully and gradually :)

Yeah I'll try to bolus as soon as I get up then wait a bit before I eat, I'll find a way :)

Reactions: 4 people

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had to have protein with my breakfast because I needed a massive amount for it but then dropped too soon after, so had to have egg on toast to stop the lows! Pregnancy and diabetes is completely random! I couldn't take long hardly any long acting insulin as I hypoed in the night all the time I had to bolus massive amounts for meals!!

nmb264

I feel your pain. Up until 24 week I could get away with a huge bowl of pasta and still sit at 5 for hours and hours. It was unbelievable. Then 24 weeks I had to resort back to my best behaviour and more diet wise. Sometimes it felt water put my blood sugar up hahaha. You'll get through it and not long to go at all!