I struggle to test my glucose levels...

76kid

Morning

I have been a type 1 diabetic for 15 years now and have never really been able to keep a consistent check on my blood glucose levels. I know this is a key part to managing your diabetes, and I am first to hold up my hands and accept I manage my diabetes poorly.

It would really help me if I could have some feedback from anyone who has had experience of overcoming this massive hurdle. If you have had problems testing your blood levels and now have a good routine that has worked for you, please come back to me with your advice.

Thanks in advance.

Ben

Katharine

Hi Ben,

I haven't had to overcome this hurdle personally. My son has type one and from the start we just make it a rule to test before every meal and before going to bed as a minimum.

One thing that is very clear is that even insulin users are not really taught exactly what to do with the blood sugar numbers once they have checked them. Of course you are not going to see the point of testing until you are given the information on how the information can be used to alter your insulin and eating regime in your favour.

As a start, are you happy with your diabetes control? What is your hbaic? How many hypos a week would you usually have? Do you drive? What do you think keeps you from testing? What sort of life would you really, really like to have? Do you have any complications from diabetes? What help do you have from friends and family?

Nosey, aren't I?

KimSuzanne

Hi Ben
I've been diabetic 18 years and I've been through the same thing - I found it hard when my routine changed and I had to reorganise myself again. What is the main thing that means you can't test? Do you forget or just not able to?

76kid

Hi Kim

Thanks for your response.

I know it only takes 2 mins to do, but for some reason I just can't maintain a consistent routine.

My plan is, to write down the format of my day during a working week and stick to it. Hopefully this will make me build up a regular routine that in time will become second nature.

I have breakfast at work, so my day will look like this;

09.00 - Start work
09.30 - Check blood glucose levels and inject. Followed by breakfast.
11.30 - Check blood glucose levels - mid morning.
13.00 - Check blood glucose levels and inject. Followed by lunch.
16.00 - Check blood glucose levels - mid afternoon.
17.30 - End work
20.30 - Check blood glucose levels and inject. Followed by dinner.
22.30 - Check blood glucose levels - mid evening.

How does that sound?

Thanks

Ben

Katharine

That sounds like a great start. You will be able to see if you need to adjust your insulin as a direct result of listing your results.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Ben,

I'd agree with Katherine, that sounds faultless. Unless you're signing the cheques on behalf of your local PCT of course :wink:

fergus

76kid

Well next week they start me on a new insulin regime. I will be injecting before every meal now and will also have a background insulin for during the night, so I need to sort myself out and I think this will be a good start.

derailleurs

Dislikes
Piccalilly!!
Hi Ben

Yeah, I used to HATE doing the tests but it's become a routine thing now, it's a bit like wearing a watch, it serves a purpose. Well, OK, I still dislike wearing a watch but I do check my blood glucose 4-5 times a day! ;)

What kind of meter do you have? Some of them have really good software, you don't even have to write the readings down, you can just plug the meter into your computer and it will upload the data automatically. Or if you do not have a computer, all meters now have a system where they store the readings together with the time and date. That way, you won't have to write the readings down every time you have tested although it is still good to do it frequently, otherwise you will forge whether the test was taken before or after meals etc.

I personally really like graphs (goes with the job) and I've got a few templates I've created on Ecxel where I can follow how my insulin doses affect my blood sugar levels. I KNOW, it IS a bit sad :lol: but the realisation of how testing really does make you able to manage your condition so much better is motivating. Remember that you're doing this for yourself, not for your doctor or anybody else, and the reason you're doing it is because you want to look after yourself, so that you feel well.

Good luck and let us know how you get on :)

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
I go through phases from hardly testing at all to testing around 10 times a day.

At the moment im after a pump so im testing alot (started testing intensly again yesterday).

I find that it's easier if there is a routine to your day... What do you do for work?

I work in IT so im sat at a computer all day... i find it helps to lay out the test kit on my desk first thing in the morning helps... then it's there all day and as a result pretty hard to forget... it's right handy for when i just wonder what my blood level is or for when before lunch and after lunch time comes around...

Probably why on the weekend i dont test as often... out of sight out of mind! I get distracted very easily and just forget about it!

You can also try setting alarms on your watch or your phone for regular testing times!

nikinrobbie

hi 76kid,i have had type one for 28yrs,i was diagnosed at age 7,for the first 16yrs i used to pretend to check my blood to doctors and my family,till i got found out 1 day and the doctor said my readings in my diary was excellent but my hb1c was 16.7 and i had no prick marks on my fingers lol,them was the days.only when i got married and had my first daughter 11 yrs ago did i start to check regullaly,i now check it too often so the doctors tell me,i can check it about 10 times a day,i have 4 injections,i drive,i work,i have 3 children to take care of and my husband works night so i would rather keep a check on it than something bad happen.i do not get any hypo symptons but i must admit i do not suffer with them really,because i check my blood regullaly :? i hope you do get in a routine and good luckx

chips

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
diet coke and most diet drinks as they all taste vile
nikinrobbie, i am doing the exact same thing you just said, i ahve not been found out yet, i really need to sort myself out too do it but i lack the motivation for it.

alaska

Hi Ben

I only lately started to get myself under control. I tested a decent number of times but it felt like they were random tests getting random numbers.

It took me til January to get myself a way I could handle my diabetes. For me it was to keep a blog

The idea was that if I posted my results on the net it would make me too embarassed to put bad results so i would have to make sure i posted an improvement.

For me i didn't feel a desperate need to get better so i wanted to show my friends how badly i was doing so they could help me out if i did start to stumble.

Looks like you're doing a lot of tests. Good if you can keep it up.

I think one of the best lessons I learned recently was not to set a long term goal. Saying I'm going to get these tests better for now until the end of time is ridiculously overwhelming. So i applied a trick which says try to get better for 30 days. I tried this and 30 days (or so) later and now it seems natural to write down my results, make good tests, keep to a routine and try to learn one or two things about myself (and my type 1) each week.

Another important thing I learned is not to give up after a few days or a week or two. that's why the 30 day rule is quite good. I find that when i try to get myself on track, the first few days are really good and then the anomalies come and the control slips. in the past i've given up at this point but this year i've pushed through and the faith in myself has really started to pay off.

If you're interested in seeing someone else's figures take a look here
http://from-infinity.blogspot.com/

and compare 8th january's results with 1st february's. a big difference

Good luck with staying on the right tracks.

All the best
Ed