I think I may have reversed my Type 2 diabetes !!!!!!

johnlfitz

I have some recent personal experience of what I think is a dramatic change or reversal in average & fasting blood glucose levels over the past 7 weeks (since I was diagnosed as Type 2 diabetic 7 weeks ago). I have achieved this, I believe, due to self initiated rapid weight loss. I hope you find it of interest.

As I mentioned above, I myself was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes just 7 weeks ago. I’m male, aged 37, 5ft 8 inch tall. At the time of diagnoses, I weighed 18 stone 5lbs. I desperately wanted to tackle / reduce the onset of diabetes myself via diet and exercise, and so I rejected my GP’s suggestion of starting Metformin. Admittedly, I “overdid” it diet-wise / exercise-wise over the last 7 weeks …… I went on a very restricted low carb low fat diet (self initiated) and hit my home electric treadmill 2 or 3 times a day. I have lost 2 stone 3lbs in the last 6 weeks to now weigh 16 stone 2lbs. I felt ill during this time (hence my “I overdid it” comment) and felt really weak, light headed, ill and woozy, but my blood glucose readings have come down from 11-15 mmol/L postprandial, to typically 6-7.5 mmol/L postprandial after my weight loss.

In the last 2 weeks my fasting overnight readings (first thing in the morning when waking up) are now at 4.5 – 5.2 mmol/L. My GP has noted that my liver ALT levels are 122 at the moment (and AST of 56) …. however I’ve no real way of knowing what these figures were prior to my diabetes diagnoses.

During self research online in these past few days, I have stumbled onto the research at http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm with great interest (i.e. the findings of particular interest was that people who have had type 2 diabetes for 4 years or less can see reversal when major weight loss occurs). I was delighted to see that the conclusions you had to come to with your research has seemingly mirrored my findings over the last 7 weeks since I was diagnosed. Though in my case, I was not aware of your research and it’s successes during the time I was losing lots of weight.

I am fully determined to continue with the weight loss as I know this will be beneficial in the long run for my all round health, and hopefully to also be beneficial in “my battle” with my Type 2 diabetes.

Has anybody else had similar results?

johnlfitz

As you may gather, I'm relatively new to this forum.

One question, has anybody successfully managed to convince / persuade their GP to prescribe testing strips? I've gotten the "we don't recommend you testing your blood glucose at home" response, despite several attempts I've made to convince them I need them !

K

Kat100

No testing strips are not supported at my health centre..only blood tests not sure if I am missing out or not. Regular 3 month hba1c are being done at the moment....

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
Nope just had to ask nicely and they are on repeat prescription so no issues with getting more when I need them

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Finzi

I get 50 per month, I really don't know if they're rationed, I've never dared ask for more than that, in case they change their minds and don't give me any. But to be fair, it's never seemed to be an issue. They gave me the meter upon diagnosis, and one time I put my prescription repeat request in a bit early, and the result was that I got a prescription done for strips and lancets but not for any of my other medications "because they're not due yet" so that kind of implies that they would give me them more than monthly if I asked. But I don't want to though.

What I have done instead, and recommend, is getting the Code Free meter from Amazon, because the strips are only £6 for 50, free P&P. with the 50 from my GP and the 50 Code Free I find I manage very well. I use the code free when I go out , so carry it in my bag, and keep the Freestyle at home.

Type 2 on Metformin, diagnosed Jan 2013, ultra low carber, Hba1C at diagnosis 8% (11mmol), now between 4.5 and 5.5 mmol. 20kg lost so far :)

johnlfitz

Asked my GP in my appointment a couple of days ago ...... she just said a couple of years ago I would've gotten them, but the (PCT?) in the area are now strict and state that they are "not necessary" !!!? :x

I just don't understand how certain areas can just point blank refuse to provide strips, yet others do give them on prescription.

How / where can we complain or challenge this ?

johnlfitz

Anyone know how I can challenge my GP or local NHS trust in order to get prescriptions for blood glucose test strips?

bonnynemia

johnlfitz,

Congratulations on reversing your diabetes!!!

I love reading stories like yours. They confirm my strong belief that type 2 diabetes is not a progressive disease.

In my particular case, since my diagnosis in July 1991 (my diagnosis fasting blood sugar reading was 468 mg/dl so I was required to be on several anti-diabetes pills), I have been exercising as much and as hard as I can. The foods I have been eating are real (heart-healthy, natural, fresh [raw or cooked], unprocessed, and whole) which are mostly carbohydrates. So far so good. I have no diabetes complications yet, never have had any hypoglycemic problems, and have been enjoying life like I have no diabetes.

Bonny Damocles
Male, 77 1/2 years old, 139 lbs., 5'7"
Daily exercise is my only anti-type 2 diabetes med for 22 years
Past A1c's: 5.2% - 6.3%

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
I'm a new T2 and still learning, I have an awful GP who just constantly reminds me she's only has 10 mins to spare. When I was first diagnosed, she explained " you are confirmed as diabetic, now, you can go on medication now or control it by diet and exercise which do you want to do? " - 3 months later I saw her colleague my hba1c had dropped from 71 to 58, I had some praise which felt good and he told me if I kept this progress up " we can knock this out the air and you have a chance of reversing it"

I had my last hba1c results 3 days ago and it had dropped to 43, I saw the dragon again this time and I asked if I was closer to reversing the diabetes - she said that " you are and always will be diabetic, there is no cure" anybody have any thoughts, I was so disheartened.

janeecee

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done! I hope these changes are permanent.

I've been looking at the ND, I've been reading up on it and it seems to be significant weight loss and then keeping it off that leads to success. I'm desperate to address 'prediabetes' and IGT but I'm probably too thin to benefit from the ND. Isn't it 15% of body weight or ideally >15kg that gets the best results? All the same I'm going to shift a few pounds in the hope it might kick start the pancreas into gear. People can and do succeed with this regime. The results ARE impressive. Good luck with your continuing success in maintaining your success.

janeecee

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Q007, from what I can tell it's the maintenance of the lifestyle changes - diet and physical activity - that keeps the blood glucose levels down. I don't think it's a permanent cure. Weight gain and a bad diet will undo those positive results. You too have done well, so just keep going. There is info on the ND online, so why not have a look at it and see if it feels right for you? The hardest part of any new regime is commitment, but you seem to have what it takes. It's obvious from your numbers :)

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).

johnlfitz

Along with the weight loss, it IS the exercising that's making the difference for me.

6 weeks ago, there's no way I would have had the energy to do 40 mins on treadmill at 5.5kph ..... but I've gradually built up over the last 6 weeks to being doing this each day.

I'm waking up with fasting blood sugars of 4.4 to 5.2. Tonight's evening meal was chicken, a large baked potatoe with cheese and cucumber and cherry tomatoes. Two hours after I was 6.2, 4 hours after I've just tested and it's 4.4.

9 weeks ago and 2stone 8lbs heavier, I would typically be 8-14.