I think my daughter has type 1 diabetes

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

My husband has had to take my youngest daughter of 10 years to A&E in an ambulance. Today my daughter seemed to be drinking more than usual and i asked her nan and grandad if she had been drinking alot last week while my 2 daughters were staying with them. I have always told her to drink plenty of fluids especially in hot weather as she was born with only 1 kidney. This evening my husband made her a orange juice and 10 minutes later to came upto me asking for another drink.my husband said to me do a blood glucose test on her with my old meter as i have been type 1 for 30 years, i done a test and it came up HIGH off the scale so i immediatly called NHS direct for advice of what to do next they put me through to a doctor who said he would call an ambulance for her. My husband has gone with her as i have my 12 year old daughter to look after as we all could'nt in the ambulance still waiting for some news

Does anyone know if they will keep her in hospital if so how long , i know when i was diagnosed 30 years ago i had to stay in for 1 week but i think its not that long now. Even though i am type 1 it is abit of a shock to me and i feel abit responsible even though it can't be helped.

Any advise please for children with diabetes

tracey167

CambridgeLass

Hi hon. If it is T1 well done for catching it early. When we were diagnosed last year my 6yo was in on a Sunday morning & out on the Monday evening so not long. We went in with just high glucose levels, no DKA or ketones. We had to wait for the diabetes team to come round on the Monday otherwise perhaps it would have been sooner. :( The hardest part is what we feel as parents. My little girl took it all in her stride and amazed me. Thinking of you and hope she is OK x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

CambridgeLass

Also please don't feel bad. We can't change our genes and you didn't ask for this. I'm sure your daughter has a wonderful fulfilling life and she'll continue to do so!! My daughter has definitely become a stronger character, I'm so proud of her. x

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
HI

Thank you for your advise , hubby has just got home, they have kept her in hospital they done another blood glucose test on her and it had come down into the 20's so i think her pancreas is slowly stopping producing insulin. I will keep you posted

thanks again

tracey167

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It was probably so high because of the orange juice, but of course being in the 20s isn't great either! I was diagnosed on a Monday morning with a reading if 29. No DKA and I felt pretty great so I was sent home within 2 hours!

LaughingHyena

Sorry to hear about your daughter, it must come as quite a shock but it sounds like you are in a good position to
help her get off to a good start with managing everything which goes along with the diagnosis.

I was diagnosed as an adult so I don;t know how much difference that will make in terms of hospital stay. I was kept in for about 48 hours. I went in last on the Tuesday night and spent the night on drips then in the morning saw the DSN. At first the expectation was that I would go home that morning but my potassium levels were too low so I had to stay in until that was sorted.

Geri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stress and feeling exhausted.
Hi Tracey,
sending alot of love to you.
My teenage son went in for a blood test and we are awaiting results regarding whether he is type 1. I have been long term diabetic, Type 1 for 43 years and it is a huge shock just sending him for a test. All I can suggest is to keep strong and you will have alot of support on the forum too.
Having diabetes yourself will mean that you have alot of information to hand.
Take care. Geri xx

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
So sorry to hear about your daughter Tracey, hope they get her levels sorted and she's soon back home with you all.

Gizmo123

Hi I know exactly how your feeling. I've been t1 for 30+ years and my daughter did the same as yours started drinking a lot. I checked on my meter and although my gut feeling was she had it I still wasn't prepared. She was just 2 when she was diagnosed. We were in for 4 days but that was 8 years ago and she was a lot younger than your daughter. I do know we got out a lot faster than some other kids due to my experience.
Fingers crossed she gets out ASAP and try not to blame yourself as I did.

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All

Thank you all for your replys, Lauren came home from hospital Thursday evening, she is dealing with it really well, and this morning she asked me if she could inject her own insulin which previously she was worried about doing so my hubby and myself done it for her.
I am now trying to find some family and children events for children with diabetes, i checked on DIABETES UK and they had a few things but they want us to drop and pick up and unfortunatley we do not have a car at present so to travel to Hampshire and places like that for a weekend it would be to much especially with my diabetes as well. I think things like holidays and day trips for diabetic children will do her the world of good it will give her a chance to meet other kids in the same position.

If any one has any idea of other organisations that deal with children with diabetes could you please let me know, it would be much appriciated.

thanks again

tracey167