i thought i was ok!

tolsn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
well just lately i have been feeling a bit down!
i thought i knew a far bit about diabetes and i was coping ok but now i feel i dont know what i thought i did and i feel i arnt coping with it as well as i thought i was and worrying about stuff i thought i was ok with and knew how to stop happening.
whats going on why am i feeling like this? i was diagnosed 20th march last yr :?

Sharon68

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I really don't have any answers as I was only diagnosed at the beginning of the year so am still learning lots but did want to offer a big hug as it does sound a little like you have become a bit overwhelmed with it all. Just take some time out, eat well, look after yourself and smile ((((hug))))

susanmanley

It is very overwhelming and I felt shattered at the beginning.
I was diagnosed last May and can now deal with it all and feel I am in charge of it, not the other way round.

Big hugs from here too :)

tolsn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
thank you Sharon68 i think the hardest part is i have no one to talk to about all this everyone thinks i am fine and dont realize how worryed i am and i i try tell them they tell me i am ok or ot to be so daft :/

tolsn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
susanmanley said:
It is very overwhelming and I felt shattered at the beginning.
I was diagnosed last May and can now deal with it all and feel I am in charge of it, not the other way round.

Big hugs from here too :)
wish i felt like that! i am tiered all the time had to have b12 injections and folic acid tablets ad i still feel like i could sleep for a wk! :/

Sharon68

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am very lucky as my OH has been fantastic as have my parents. Sometimes though I do feel guilty as I go on about it a bit and I know both my OH and parents have conditions which are far more painful/serious but they never stop me talking bout the diabetes.

Just know you can always pop on here for a 'chat' it does help and of course, we all understand.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
im a newb so what do i know but..... i would say from all thats involved that it would be more worrying if you wasnt having these feelings, theres so much to think about and understand of course we feel worried and stressed out over it all, i reckon we need to give ourselves a break, as the song says "its ok not to be ok" its hard work, take it in little chunks and know that the downs will become ups.

tolsn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
dont get me wrong my hubbie and my mum and dad and my sister if it comes to it all understand ad make sure i am ok (gosh if it wasnt for my hubbie i prob wouldnt eat meals like i do!he makes me dinner on a weekend and in the week if hes home so he does understand to a point)
they all just think i am deeling with it fine but deep dow i feel i arent especially now for some reason!! i think half my problem is i feel so tiered ALL the time and no matter what i do i have to have a sleep in the day just to get through! some days i sleep nearly all day other days it can be for an hr or 2 i have told my dr who checked my B12 and folic acid and found them low so i had 3 B12 injections in a month in jan and am taking folic acid but tbh they dont seem to have helped at all i still feel tiered ALL the time and thats gettig me dow too :?
thank you all for reading and replying :)

staycalm&hopeful

hi tolsn,
i am type 2 diabetic been diagnoised for 9 years now.I also have b12 injections every 3 months, and although they
have helped me a lot,there are days when i have to fight through the tiredness . I think its the 2 deseases combined myseflf but hey,please take one day at a time. I find walking my dog in the fresh air helps! take care . Hugs :D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Diabetes means learning all the time and it ccan be overwhelming.
Hana

Sharon68

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think this weather helps! During the dry days I am outside pottering in the garden or out on the beach with the dogs but these damp, dreary days its a quick walk in the woods then back inside :thumbdown: I too feel very tired, I know I work full time and its quite a demanding job but its been the same for years and its only recently that I've felt, well not like I need to sleep but just weary. Going for a walk does help so I say come on spring, we need some sunshine!

Hope you feeling a little better today Tolsn (my day just got better, Wales won :thumbup: )

susanmanley

Sharon68 said:
I don't think this weather helps! During the dry days I am outside pottering in the garden or out on the beach with the dogs but these damp, dreary days its a quick walk in the woods then back inside :thumbdown: I too feel very tired, I know I work full time and its quite a demanding job but its been the same for years and its only recently that I've felt, well not like I need to sleep but just weary. Going for a walk does help so I say come on spring, we need some sunshine!

Hope you feeling a little better today Tolsn (my day just got better, Wales won :thumbup: )

I am sure this is right. Because the 'good' days have been few and far between we overdo it when it is sunny and warm.

Had my daughter and grandaughter here this weekend...exhausted

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Has your doctor also checked you for an underactive thyroid, and for your Vitamin D levels?

Vitamin D is much more important than was previously realised, and one of the deficiency symptoms is great tiredness and a general "low" feeling. Similarly with underactive thyroid - I have never had a reading outside the "normal" range, but my GP listens, and treated the symptoms (see ThyroidUK website). Now I take 100mg (mcg?) of Levothyroxine daily, and I feel much better.

At the latitude we live, only people who work outside get anywhere near enough Vit D from sunshine between about October and March; also, as we get older, so we get less efficient in making it (Vit D is made by the action of sunlight on the cholesterol under your skin). It isn't really possible to get enough through dietary sources alone, though eggs and oily fish are good sources.

Discuss both thyroid problems and Vitamin D with your GP. If they won't give you a blood test for it (they are expensive) it's worth trying a supplement anyway, I think. Have a good search round on Google and look for the summaries of research papers. I did (though stupidly I have lost my best links) and I now take 2400 IU (international units) every day in summer, and 4800IU every day in winter. Vitamin D3 is the one you want, and it is available on ebay and Amazon.

I also use a SAD lamp in winter. Seasonal Affective Disorder - for when winter gets you really down and you get to this time of year feeling awful.

Having said all that - I am not qualified to give you advice and can only speak from my own experience. Do your own reading round, and also speak to your doctor. I've been much better since taking my Vit D3 supplement. They wouldn't give me a blood test at first, but the nurse and I eventually managed to sneak one past "them" - last February my Vit D was slightly above the given range, which I was very happy about!

IMHO, the NHS-issue supplements don't contain enough - we are able to handle much more that was previously thought.

Good luck with all this. If you are feeling really down it will have a knock-on effect to how you feel about coping with your diabetes. Try not to worry, and hang on in there - one day we will have some warm sunshine and everything will be good again!

We have warm sunshine here at the moment - at least, I hope it's warm enough to melt the 2 inches of snow that fell overnight! :lol:

Let us kow how you get on :D

Viv 8)

Lozzybabyw

A couple of months ago I thought there was a connection between sugar &me falling asleep! I was falling asleep walking down the road& still sometimes:-/ I've tested my theory out over this time period.. It really DOES!! That's why being diabetic we feel tired a lot the sugar makes us sleepy not the other things like meds... I don't take any meds for it or test as the doctor says I don't need to.. I'm type 2 diabetes borderline.. I find it a struggle to know what to eat& feel tired constantly..

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App