I upset somebody

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I was at my brother-in-law's 60th birthday party, where I'd been told that a friend of his has just been diagnosed T2. I was chatting to a cousin about the activities of children and grandchildren, when I heard a voice saying very authoritively that it isn't good for people to test their own BG. I'm afraid I couldn't stand that, so I turned and asked her to please not say that, because It's a myth. She got VERY angry and told me in the same authoritative tone that she's been a nurse for years and she knows what is right and I must have been given bad advice. She was so stroppy and sure of herself that I didn't bother to tell her I've read and understood the original study.I just said that this myth is based on a very poor bit of research. The wife of the new T2 then cut in to say that she's given up ;looking for the answers, because there's so much information out there, that she's confused.
I avoided the nurse from then on.she kept giving me dirty looks.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Good for you Hanadr. :D

It's about time we stopped biting our lips when people say things we know are patently untrue, whoever and wherever they are. I hope you gave her dirty looks back. Then again, she probably wasn't worth wasting your time on ?

Ken.

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Why can't you just do as you're told, hanadr. :mrgreen:

“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.”
~Martin Luther King, Jr.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
I think I'll go along with Martin Luther King

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Hana,
good for you, though i have to admit i would have prefered if the nasty nurse had been wallopped in the face with a large slice of birthday cake :lol: That would have made her take notice!
All the best,
Suzi x

Spiral

Good on you hanadr!

Maybe we should start an empowered patient vigilante group to spread the word to the newly diagnosed and long term misinformed, and filling the shoes of the diabetes care people, who prefer their patients compliant, with yogurt.

We could hit the streets (or the clinics) with a ready supply of meters and test strips and buckets of yogurt.

peppiB

Possibly she would have a different opinion if she was diabetic herself, trying to improve her quality and quantity of life. Self preservation is a great incentive.

mrburden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi hanadr,
Isn't it odd how some people just can't believe that sometimes the patient can be the best knowledge base? I guess that this nurse has had many, many years of 24hr per day specific training in the diabetes field, and is bound to know best!!
While I was in hospital last year, the nursing staff were only too pleased that I self-tested my BG so that they didn't have to keep putting fresh gloves on and go from bay to bay to find their ward BG meter. Their only insistance was that I tested before EVERY meal and before bed (4 per day) and that I wrote the results on my notes so they did not forget!

kentishman

I had a similar run in with a nurse wqhen I gave an answer at a quiz that Insuline is a hormone.
'No it's not' she snarled.
What do they teach them?

badmedisin

How can anyone possibly think self testing is a bad thing? That makes no sense.

But whilst most nurses are great at their jobs, some of them are, frankly, nuts. My ex-stepmother was a nurse, and she used to tell us to "take nurofen & ibuprofen" and refused to believe that they were the same and taking both would be overdosing.

Always speak out against complete idiocy! :roll:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
I went to an all-girls' school and as I remember( a long time ago), it wasn't the brightest girls who went into nursing, although my very brilliant niece is a nurse. ( in Afghanistan, working with the army at the moment.) She's trained in intensive care, where someone's life may depend on her making the right decision in a hurry, by using her brains.