I WANT CHOCOLATE ONLY..IT'S A CRAVING.

gingercat

I would appreciate some advice please. As the title suggests, I have in recent weeks developed a craving for chocolate only. Not just any chocolate, but special caramel types. I want this in place of breakfast, lunch, and dinner. In fact, this is does constitute my daily diet. I don't eat food for the sake of it but chocolate is different. I am craving every bit of sugar in that bar.

I was diagnosed with T2 in September 2010. But this is new, and to be honest I never experienced something like this pre-diagnosis. I wonder if anyone has or does experience this and well, how do you manage? Has anyone given you a proper reason for it? Is it part of the condition?

Things

Jayne :***:

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Jayne!

I tend to crave chocolate when my period is about to start. I guess it's the hormone changes. I don't give in to it because I also have some insulin resistance and my BG goes a bit high at the same time. Chocolate cravings and insulin resistance are not a great combination :lol:

Could it be hormonal changes with you? Pregnant? Menopause?

Just a thought!

I'll be interested in people's replies.

Smidge

Reactions: Freema

159redbus

i sympathies with you i also crave chocolate
but i always have done
i tell my dr im a choc o hollic and its true
as im on my own i dont have it in the house
having just one piece of a bar would be pointless
i want the bar
i really dont think there is an answer
it might be hormones as such or the fact you
find its a comfort
if you find an answer let me know :) :)

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Family sized packets are fine for people who can eat a bit and then put it back for another day.

My suggestion would be to buy the smallest bar possible such as a freddo or the child sized bar. Ok it would have an impact on your BS levels, but not as much as a larger bar and you would have had your chocolate fix, but once you had eaten it, it would be gone.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another addict here but I'm going to be brutally honest with you.

You have two choices. Feed your addiction and accept the consequences or stop it. I can't tell you how, you have to find a way just like the cravings for cigarettes and alcohol in others and for some, much more serious addictions.

Reactions: Freema

gingercat

Hi Smidge,

No! At the grand old age of 42 and with 4 children, I am most definitley not pregnant!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
No not at the menopause yet, and the desire is there every single day.......... :***: :shock: :crazy:

:eh: :eh: :eh:

Thanks for your suggestion though! :thumbup:

gingercat :wave:

gingercat

159redbus said:
i sympathies with you i also crave chocolate
but i always have done
i tell my dr im a choc o hollic and its true
as im on my own i dont have it in the house
having just one piece of a bar would be pointless
i want the bar
i really dont think there is an answer
it might be hormones as such or the fact you
find its a comfort
if you find an answer let me know :) :)

Hi,

Will do!

:D :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

gingercat

))Denise(( said:
Family sized packets are fine for people who can eat a bit and then put it back for another day.

My suggestion would be to buy the smallest bar possible such as a freddo or the child sized bar. Ok it would have an impact on your BS levels, but not as much as a larger bar and you would have had your chocolate fix, but once you had eaten it, it would be gone.

Good advice Denise, I will try that one. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Ann19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Aldi and Lidl both do packs of chocolate that are 5 small bars in a pack of 85% chocolate. Enough chocolate in a bar to satisfy the craving but not enough to effect MY levels. Lots on here eat these, you will of course have to test to see how it effects you. They also do 70% if you don't like the 'strong' stuff.

Ann

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Jayne
smidge's comment about premenstrual cravings rings bells. I think that craving sugary things at that time might be down to mild vitamin B deficiency, especially if you low carb. Vitamin B sources are often carby.
As to how to cope
I keep chocolate in my fridge and every night I have a square. I've got used to restricting my amount to that and Ihave it after my evening meal. My favoured chocolate is a darker, less sugary one with roasted hazelnuts from LIDL
You could try having a square of high cocoa solids [70%+] chocolate or one of those low cal chocolate instant drinks. I don't know the carb count, but you can look it up.
Try upping the vitamin B in your eating.
Hana

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
In my case,I used to crave sweet food like chocolate,sweets etc when my Blood sugars were very high,my body couldn't use the Glucose in my blood for energy due to my low insulin production so my body started screaming for sugar! :( These days I luckily enjoy much better Blood glucose control and all my cravings have dissapeared(Except for crumpets) :oops:

mrawfell

I also am addicted to chocolate. Fortunately I have always had a desire for dark chocolate, thinking milk was too sweet, long before I was found to have T2. So I allow myself a "smallish" piece of dark chocolate minimum 70% cocoa and no added sugar. I am a little bit naughty, I don't test afterwards. What the eye doesn't see the heart doesn't grieve. However my last HbA1c was 4.4, and my doctor is concerned it is a bit low ! Of course the truth may be that my blood sugars might be on a roller coaster.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
mrawfell Hi I also enjoy dark choc I coat almonds in melted choc and enjoy with a glass of red wine :thumbup: They are a good source of magnesium
CAROL

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Like others I go for Dark Chocolate. The 85% types are very low-carb and I like Green & Blacks which is particularly low-carb and smooth

Defren

gingercat said:
I would appreciate some advice please. As the title suggests, I have in recent weeks developed a craving for chocolate only. Not just any chocolate, but special caramel types. I want this in place of breakfast, lunch, and dinner. In fact, this is does constitute my daily diet. I don't eat food for the sake of it but chocolate is different. I am craving every bit of sugar in that bar.

I was diagnosed with T2 in September 2010. But this is new, and to be honest I never experienced something like this pre-diagnosis. I wonder if anyone has or does experience this and well, how do you manage? Has anyone given you a proper reason for it? Is it part of the condition?

Things

Jayne :***:

The first thing that crossed my mind when I read your post was; have you changed to a low carb diet? If you have, what have you replaced the carb calories with? I wonder if it's not actually chocolate you're craving, but fat. It may be worth upping your intake of healthy fats a little bit and seeing if that helps.

Neicy0412

Type of diabetes
Type 1
This sounds really silly, but it works for me when I crave the chocolate (or steamed syrup pudding, mmmm) put some vanilla essence on a cotton wool pad, and every time the craving takes hold sniff it for all your worth, really inhale that sweet sickly smell and (bizarrely) the craving will lesson, try it, it's weird but it may work for you. :)

Reactions: Ktcool

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
gingercat said:
Hi Smidge,

No! At the grand old age of 42 and with 4 children, I am most definitley not pregnant!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
No not at the menopause yet, and the desire is there every single day.......... :***: :shock: :crazy:

:eh: :eh: :eh:

Thanks for your suggestion though! :thumbup:

gingercat :wave:

There is something called ... the peri-menopause ... which starts well before the menopause actually sets it ...
http://www.34-menopause-symptoms.com/we ... avings.htm
http://www.femflax.com/menopause-belly- ... -gain.html

joeyhudson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The only way I can deal with chocolate is not to have it in the house cos if it is I want it.

For me 'resistance is futile'.

sdgray22

Dislikes
Loud Music, Confrontations, blood and gore on the TV
I still eat a bit of dark chocolate - you can make life pretty miserable for yourself if you do not give in to the odd craving.
I have one Ainsley Harriett dark Chocolate wafer bar 14 carbs or one aldi dark chocolate mint or orange and almond (the ones with 5 small bars) bars they are 12 carbs or 2 thorntons dark chocolates they are 7 carbs each. I check my BS levels and if I am below 6 I let myself have one of the above I don't really know what they do to my levels at 1 hour but at two hours I am just about back to where I was before eating them.
:D

hophead

Surely an alternative strategy would be to have a small amount of what you fancy (!) followed by a period of brisk exercise?