i want my life back

cyb3rminx

Dislikes
anything that is good for you
hi all i was told i was type 1 about 2 months ago im 26 and have four children under 9. I was put on humolog 25 which was no good at all and have now been on humalog and lantus for about 2 weeks which is better. The problem is i feel like my life is on hold before i found out i was type 1 i was learning to drive and now i have had my licence taken off me and am waiting for it to be returned so that i can resume the lessons. I hate injecting as i find it painful ,and its getting to the point were im missing meals so i dont have to inject, even though i know that it is very stupid off me. I used to be very active and now i have a hypo just walking my kids to school. I have no idea what im doing with my insulin levels as i have not yet spoke to the dietician and will not see her until the end of july. I feel very low but dont think its deppression. I have spoken to my gp about this and she said i should speak to my diabeties nurse but im worried that they will think ive gone mad and keep me in the hospital. Im so sorry to moan like this and many of you have probably felt like this at some point or just think that i need to grow up.I just want to feel normal again my friends and family are either freak out about me been diabetic or try to ignore it .I feel alone in a room full of people and i dont know what to do about it .

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Does sound like depression. I'm not a medic though. Having survived a stroke, I can tell you though that In the end it's up to you. Learn all you can and take charge. As to painful injections, I'm not on insulin, but I am a biologist and know that there are places on the body where pain sensors are a long way apart. You need to find yours. I do all my BG tests on the inside of my fore-arm and often don't feel it at all. The sensors are a long way apart there and I'd be very unlucky to hit one. Do you have the right delivery system for you? Push until you get it.
In the end. you have 2 options: Learn to control it and win or give in and lose.( or die) First get that depression sorted out. you will get the driving licence back. they took mine after the stroke for a couple of months and I'd had it 40 years. Once you get control, you will feel so much better and your children will have a parent to be proud of.

donnamum

See your diabetic nurse. He/she won't think your mad, they will think your dealing with the shock of the diagnosis. If walking to school causes hypo, then your insulin amounts might be wrong and the nurse will need to advice you of what changes to make. In the mean time depending on how far you have to walk try eating a gluco tablet. My daughter has one for a 20-15 miutue walk.

I know how lonely it can feel. In the first week after daughter was diagnosed everyone rallyed around to help out . The following week when the work really started, to get to grips with things at home everyone disappeared and got on with their lives.

I know this time of the year is really busy with sports days and concerts etc, so with 4 children you must be run of your feet. Which is why it is especially important that you eat, if not for yourself then for your children. They need you to be their mum no matter what you are feeling inside.

If you need to ask a question just post it. Someone will know the answer. Everyone is great on here at suporting each other and making you smile when you need to most.

Tracy

I can relate to the injections hurting I was just over 7 stone, they gave me long needles to inject with. These really hurt and always left bruising I now use 6mm, I inject into my stomach. I have tried injecting my legs but find that leaves bruising too. Ask your doctor if you can change to a smaller needle you may find this helps. I was a single parent with a young daughter who had lots of parties and school discos to go to. I had many a hypo whilst running around trying to work full time and keep up with my daughters social life it really got me down. Going around the supermarket was dreadful I felt like crying everytime the weekly shop needed to be done. I initially cut out virtually all sweet stuff including chocolate and to be honest I have never felt so unwell in my life. I was on humalog mix and dreaded meal times because I felt so ill afterwards. For me there was a lot of trial and error , I do eat chocolate now and for me it certainly helps me feel better. I changed my insulin and hey presto started to look forward to meal times. I am in the throws of requesting another change to my insulin because I feel there is definite room for improvement. For brekkie I usually have 1 weetabix/or bran and piece of toast with cup of tea. I also find bagels and mars bars work for me. Stick with it, talk to your health care professionals and keep asking them questions. It's not easy, you are not alone - you will feel better, see what works for you. Good luck

Carol11

I know how you feel. I've had this curse for 16 months (I was60 at diagnosis). All you can do is get by day by day. Try pinching an inch in your abdomen where you inject and use a short needle. It seems to help. Are you using an insulin pen? That should be easier then a syringe. All of us here are with you in this struggle. Some say it gets better over time. Carol

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi, I felt lke you when I was diagnosed. I'd just started a new life in London, and 8 months later I had to leave my job, go home and get my head around it. I was put on anti-depressents, but wish I hadn't. GPs think they're the answer to everthing-saves them listneing to you. It's perfectly normal what you are feeling, your life has changed and you need time to adjust. You will feel proud of yourself and have your life back when you get used to a good regime of injecting, eating, exercising and keeping your blood sugars under control. Having regular high blood sugars can make you feel lousy too.
I'm afraid diabetes care is not what it was 20 years ago when I was diagnosed, and you will need to make you health professionals to listen and take notice of the problems you are having. Trying shorter needles mayl help, as the injection only needs to go under the skin. Practice without insulin finding places where it is less painful to inject, tummy and bum is good. It'll soon be like brushing your teeth, you wont give it a second thought. You can buy a pack of smaller needle syringes from your chemist for just over a quid, if you don't want to argue with your doc over it. You can sort your prescription at your next appt.
You're very busy with 4 children and that obviously doesn't give you much time to look after yourself, so I'm not surprised your finding it tough. Can you get friends and family to help with the kids while you get on top of your diabetes control? Even if it's just school runs for a while. I had the same experience with some of my family-they didn't want to know and it made me feel very angry and lonely. My dad said it was boring! People can be very insensitive. You'd think it would be obvious to people close to you when you need help-doesn't always work like that though.
Don't expect too much from yourself, and keep us posted.
Jus

cyb3rminx

Dislikes
anything that is good for you
thanks for all your replies and support i have been in touch with my nurse and she is trying to get me an appointment to see her. But over past couple of days i have been having lots of hypos and feeling very drained so she thinks i might be in a honey moon period,what ever that means lol. Will keep you posted thanks again

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
What it means is that your body has not completely stopped making insulin on its own and is doing that in addition to the stuff you're injecting. Therefore you're having hypos.

When I was diagnosed as a child 25 years ago I was admitted to hospital for 3 weeks and my parents were taught everything then. Now a child is admitted for 24-48 hours only.

So here are the basics. Sorry if this is a repetition of things you have been told.

You have to balance your blood sugar through insulin and food. The more insulin you take the more food you will need. Some foods may temporarily make your blood sugar go high and then dip later (e.g. sugar), others will keep it more steady (brown pasta, oats). The GI type diets are good bases for looking at what foods are good to eat and what are less good although some of their ideas will not work. You test your blood sugar to check what is working and what is not. Once you have found out you can continue with less testing.

The best way to get to grips with it is to try and build a structure in each day. So get up and test, then inject, then eat. Then mid morning test again and if you need to eat then do. Try and do this throughout the day.

The nurse should really be giving you information on this and how the insulin interacts with the diet so if you're low at a specific time of day or high, which one should be raised or lowered to counteract it.

I'd recommend looking at the IDDT website. http://www.iddtinternational.org/ They have lots of useful information or give them a call, there is always someone there willing to talk and help.

As you have more hypos you should recognise the symptoms and be able to eat so it does not become too bad. If you are not getting symptoms I'd advise a change of insulin to one where you do.

It's an awful lot to deal with but you can and will manage. Raising 4 kids is pretty impressive so you're obviously capable of managing some pretty big mountains. If it helps think of the diabetes as a 5th child requiring specific care rather than an affliction. Good luck.

mrbobuk

Hi folks

This is my first post in this forum after only discovering the site and joining this weekend. Hello everyone!

Just to reply to you cyb3rminx, you've done extremely well to get thus far. Remember that. When I was first diagnosed with Type 1 at 35 (I am now almost 36 1/2), I felt my whole world crumbling in. I felt down, alone and the feeling of "Why me?". This is not the case. Many times, those around you feel your anguish, your struggles and your heartache but often cannot find a way to express this. Even some of those around you will still feel that diabetes is a medieval condition that is shrouded with imagery of long needles and the unknown. This is not the case either.

Look on your new condition as an opportunity to take stock of life, of what is important, of your current physiology, your lifestyle and start this as a building block. I did. At first I felt so low as you do/did and this is normal. We all need to 'grieve' as this condition feels alien. It is something that we do not deserve to have or want. Look on your life ahead of you now with vigour and use your children and family/friends around you as incentives to manage the condition. Bounce off them and reflect back positivity about diabetes - let them see and feel that you are on top of this. Remember that diabetes is not a death sentence, it is a medical condition which is treatable. I looked on the condition after as a rare opportunuity in life to take stock and realise that we only have one body and as custodians of that, the need to look after it as best we can.

There are days now where I forget to take my insulation occasionally as I am sure most do, where I think "You know what, I don't want this anymore!" and feel like not testing or injecting. This is normal too. Thankfully, these days are few.

Many folks on this website will provision support and help - you've come to one of the best places to find that. Time is a great healer and I am sure you are finding mechanisms to cope and work around this. Just remember that what you were/are feeling is normal and that you will punch through it; in fact, I'll go as far as saying, it will make you stronger.

I have an identical twin brother who is showing early signs of the condition and it is my prayer that he doesn't develop it. If he does however, I'll be there to help him as best I can to get through it, using my own experiences to encourage and assist. Bizarrely enough, I have a friend at work in the same office who is also an identical twin who has just been diagnosed a type 1 (his brother already a type 1). The point I am making, is to use your own experiences to support others around you over time; this you'll find is extremely theraupetic.

Take care.

mrbobuk
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever".

~Lance Armstrong (Cancer survivor who went on after to win an unprecedented Tour de France 7 times)
http://www.livestrong.org

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Nice attitude,Bob.I hope your brother does not get type 1 but...if he does he is lucky...he has you to help him.

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
injecting shouldn't be painful... what size needles are you using? Are you slim or not-so-slim?

Im slim an use the NovoFine 32g 6mm needles... occassionally i hit a pain sensor but not very often at all! usually i dont even feel it... and i inject into my stomach, one side for basal and one side for bolus.

nathansdiary

Dislikes
Non diabetics who think they know better and people who keep asking me "are you allowed to eat that?"
Stuboy said:
injecting shouldn't be painful... what size needles are you using? Are you slim or not-so-slim?

Im slim an use the NovoFine 32g 6mm needles... occassionally i hit a pain sensor but not very often at all! usually i dont even feel it... and i inject into my stomach, one side for basal and one side for bolus.

I agree, injecting should not be painful. I would check your needle size and see if you can get a smaller size.

Stuboy, what dose of your levemir do you take. I have never thought of taking it in my stomach because of my larger dose size. I always do my lantus in my thigh.

howsitgoing

It is a very tough time, I also found it very lonely, speak to your diabetic support team. It will improve, there is life with diabetes, you can achieve everything that you ever planned and more, try not to feel sorry for yourself, try and be positive, but most of all tell people how you feel.
I was like many other people diagnosed as a child, went to university, married have six wonderful children two have type 1 just like me, I could feel guilty that I have passed this awful disease on to my children but what good would that do? they are very happy well adjusted young men coping reasonably well, facing life with their partners, with the ups and downs, just as they would if they had good health.

As my wife always says the alternative to not taking insulin, or not looking after your diet, is not acceptable!!!!

Good luck,
Keep smiling
Alex