1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

i want this to end

Discussion in 'Emotional and Mental Health' started by gabi__, Apr 9, 2021.

1. 35yearsofType1

35yearsofType1 · Active Member

Hi Gabi,

I’ve only just read your post. I was diagnosed as a baby and my parents brought me up to believe diabetes would not stop me from doing anything. And that has been my mantra - yes there are time when things go “**** up” for a better phrase. Puberty was difficult to get blood sugars stable but honestly it gets better - have faith! It never stopped me having a boyfriend - I’m married with children. I was always willing to tell people I was diabetic as I felt it kept me safe - if anything happened they would know and could help.

You are going through a rubbish time but there is light at the end of the tunnel even if it only seems really small at the moment.

I hope your ok and that you’ve got some reassurance - sending you
    Lots of love

Caroline xx

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. 35yearsofType1

35yearsofType1 · Active Member

Hi Gabi,

How have you got on? Did you you find your appointment helpful or not really?

I hope your ok

Xxx

3. elsalisa

elsalisa Type 1 · Active Member

Hi Gabriela! I understand you. I have a daughter with diabetes, she’s 12, she was diagnosed 4 years ago. Back then sugars were normal and easy to control but now... doctors says it temporary though - it’s just a period of hormones kicking in so you both will be fine, I’m sure.

Yes, some things changed. But...

- you have to count carbs - well, to be honest, many people would benefit from doing so, no matter if they have diabetes or not!
    - some food better be avoided - as I said above, some food better be avoided anyway. I’m not diabetic and still I count carbs now and think about what I eat!
    - my friend’s dad had type 1 diabetes. Back then diabetics didn’t even have glucose monitors like Contour next or Aviva, no Dexcom or Libre, no tiny needles... he lived about 90 years in pretty good health, when his friends without conditions were gone already. Sport, healthy food... something diabetics are practically forced to do when many healthy people don’t even think about it.
    - you are not disabled. You have a condition that make you watch over your health closer than others but in the long run it can help you. Yes, you’d better be without it. But every single person on Earth have their own challenges. People with virtually no physical limitations can be very unhappy.
    - you are not alone!
    - there is a good book recommended to me by a friend who was translating it - “The Sisterhood of Diabetes: Facing Challenges & Living Dreams” by Judith Ambrosini

Don’t fall into despair, Gabriel. You are not alone.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. bmtest

bmtest · Well-Known Member

Its all normal thoughts at your age i was like that at times

But at that age i was just too sharp for most even with diabetes u was still the best.

I enjoyed injecting testing and eating it gave others a fighting chance but they never had a chance if competing with me i was class above.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook