I was answering some messages about my mention that Leeds NHS no longer provide testing strips andla

membrew

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
lies
I commented on a story that Doctors may be asked to provide E cigarettes.
I am appauled at this suggestion. If the smokers can afford to purchase real cigarettes then they can afford to purchase E cigarettes to overcome the self inflicted drug abuse.

Type 2,non insulin dependant Diabetics need to regularly monitor the blood to undersand if they have control. Without test strips and lancets we are unable to do so as they are far too expensive to purchase for many many people,

Result of ths decision will mean more and more requiring hospital treatment. Will they be turned away because they have failed to monitor bloods as required. NICE Regulators need to take an URGENT look at these Regulations. Leeds Healthcare do not provide them as required by the patient.
February 2018

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here, here, but according to some, T2 diabetes is self inflicted although we all know better.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I commented on a story that Doctors may be asked to provide E cigarettes.
I am appauled at this suggestion. If the smokers can afford to purchase real cigarettes then they can afford to purchase E cigarettes to overcome the self inflicted drug abuse.

Type 2,non insulin dependant Diabetics need to regularly monitor the blood to undersand if they have control. Without test strips and lancets we are unable to do so as they are far too expensive to purchase for many many people,

Result of ths decision will mean more and more requiring hospital treatment. Will they be turned away because they have failed to monitor bloods as required. NICE Regulators need to take an URGENT look at these Regulations. Leeds Healthcare do not provide them as required by the patient.
February 2018
I think this what Teresa May means when she says the UK is to work for everyone. All addicts, I suppose?

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I started smoking age 11 and spent the next 20+ years trying to gve up, several successes but went back to smoking eventually every time. I only gave up when I was diagnosed diabtetic and was told by a surgeon that smoking is between 2&10 times as dangerous for a diabetic as a non diabetic and then giving up was a really easy step
Im a believer that the only time you will succesfully give up a strong addiction like cigarettes is when something fundamental has clicked “ at the back of your brain” such that giving up becomes a no brainer
For me nicotine on prescription via gum / sprays was useless and did nothing for my attemts to stop smoking and therefore was a complete waste of money, vaping on the nhs would have been no different

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can get nicotine patches, gum, certain drugs, clinics to stop smoking on the NHS so I see no difference in getting vaping, anything that helps someone give up smoking which is bad for so so many conditions not just diabetes is a good thing in my opinion

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
On thinking a bit longer on this.
Maybe once less smoking ailments then diabetics may get meters for life.
Well, we live in hope.

Maybe smoking will become the addiction of the past and diabetics will be even more demonised ? Or nagged even.
I've never smoked but apparently very difficult to give up on your own.

A suppose any addiction if its in your dna. My both parents were addicted and do other things which are addictive still.
I'm hoping I've escaped their dna. Somehow. Unless you class carbs as an addiction but I control its cravings these days.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If the smokers can afford to purchase real cigarettes then they can afford to purchase E cigarettes
Yes I agree. Also I well remember TV adverts telling us how bad smoking was back when I was a child. I have some sympathy with older smokers who may not have been well informed when they started smoking, but no-one younger than me (60) should have even started the habit.

Reactions: Engineer88