If I have a choice...

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hello... Next week I have my pump assessment (insert happy dance here) -- now, I know I have to be assessed n' all - but - if I get approved and *if* I get a choice, which pump(s) do you like and why...?

I know my hospital offers meditronic, animas and omnipod - I *think* meditronic is the standard, unless patients specifically want one of the other two...

Any/all advice appreciated muchly... :)

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
As it's your first pump you will like it as know no different. So it doesn't matter what we like or don't like about our pumps :) Good luck though.

Reactions: 5 people

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Try making a list of all the things you want from your pump and then compare them to your list to make your choice. As already said, we will all tell you our own pumps are great (cause they are for each of us individually) :)

Reactions: 4 people

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks both :)

... Are you basically saying all pumps are good, or that you've both chosen the type of pumps you wanted, based on your personal requirements...? Soz if this is obvious - I'm just not sure of the different features / benefits of different pumps :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Agree with the comments above Artemis, its yours and only your decision to which pump you choose, look at the pro's & con's of each pump and discuss them with your diabetes team.

Exciting times ahead.............................:)

iHs

All pumps will sing and dance but each one does so in different ways. They all have their pros and cons . My advice ts to find an area on yr body where you feel sure that insulin will be absorbed ok and then have a look at the infusions sets that come with each pump and how well they are made. If you want to insert an infusion set in your backside, then you should look at either a steel needle set that is easy to insert and stick down or look at an infusion set that is teflon and look at how the infusion set clip attaches to the set. Some tube clips join sets and dont wobble, whereas others do. Most women want a pump that comes with a remote to operate it so that is another thing to consider. If that doesnt bother you, then it will be important to have decent screen visability on the pump itself and to find out what the screen display wiill be like in bright sunlight.

The other thing to consider is teststrips and whether the pump will enable any teststrip to be used or only work with a specific brand. Many GPs are doing their hardest to reduce teststrip prescriptions or change diabetics over to using a cheaper make.

Reactions: 4 people

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Might be good if you can trial a few first ?, my initial thoughts on what I wanted changed after I started using.

I like my pump and like the remote control - it fits my lifestyle. I have tried the Omnipod as a trial after I got my AccuCheck Combo, and also liked this as its water proof too (which my one isn't). Found out later that both do not support CGM, but Dexcom will soon support Apple products so looking forward to that too.

Think about where you want to wear it, do you want it connected via cannula or fixed to your skin, do you want CGM, what activities do you do and will it fit them ? Good luck and whichever you choose it will be right for you :)

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Might be good if you can trial a few first ?, my initial thoughts on what I wanted changed after I started using.

I like my pump and like the remote control - it fits my lifestyle. I have tried the Omnipod as a trial after I got my AccuCheck Combo, and also liked this as its water proof too (which my one isn't). Found out later that both do not support CGM, but Dexcom will soon support Apple products so looking forward to that too.

Think about where you want to wear it, do you want it connected via cannula or fixed to your skin, do you want CGM, what activities do you do and will it fit them ? Good luck and whichever you choose it will be right for you :)

Hi Chas C - thanks for making me think of a few things.... I think that's why I posted - peeps are saying think about what options will best suit you - but I don't yet know what the options are.... :)

I've seen the omnipod - and liked the idea that it's not got any tubes - as I'm a bit worried about getting the tubes caught etc - however - it looks bulky to me? As a girl I might have more "body consciousness" about this.... but from the pics I've seen I think it looks a bit like someone's glued a really big piece of lego to you :D but that might be a misinterpretation of its size in reality on my part...? It also looks like it might dig into you - whereas ones that connect via cannulas look like they might less so....? I'm also worried I'd knock it more than a canula? And that I couldn't wear tight clothes over it? Again - perhaps a girl worry....?

I do like the idea of a remote - as I guess it means you can just tuck the pump away for the day and bolus etc from the remote? Which ones come with those?

I don't really swim all that often - which is, I assume, why I'd want a waterproof one...? So I guess that's less important to me.

I am Apple everything ;-) so it would also be great to have a pump which is most compatible with Apple stuff - again, I'm not sure which these are...?

Of the pumps which are connected via canulas, do you know which are the smallest? Again - thinking about clothes / hiding it :)

I seem to have asked you a lot of questions! Haha! If anyone else wants to chip in, please do.... :D :) :)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I don't really swim all that often - which is, I assume, why I'd want a waterproof one...? So I guess that's less important to me.
It also means that you don't have to disconnect it in the shower or in the bath....

Also, canulas versus Omnipod:

Pump with Cannula (guess it's a Medtronic with an enlite sensor on the left):

Insulin_pump.jpg

Omnipod:

mqdefault.jpg

A comparison of Animas and Medtronic (plus a whole load of other links): http://hmongreplay.com/?w=VQT2HdoTIGrE

Last edited by a moderator:

iHs

The Insight pump is tiny size wise and is smaller but thicker than the Spirit and same thickness as the Vibe. Both the Spirit and the Vibe fitted in my lycra bras so conceling is no problem. Getting the Vibe out of my bra walking around the shops etc is a problem in winter but thats because of wearing a jumper and coat. I tend now to hang the Vibe around my neck over my jumper but under my coat so all I have to do is undo my coat a tiny bit and use the pump thst way, but its also possible to keep pump in pocket and make a slit in the top centre part, neaten the slit with cotton or nail varnish and thread the tube clip through the slit and attwch to pump. Thzt way, theres no need to undo coat.
With all insulin pumps, frequent bg testing is essential and the future is in cgm. If all pumpers could have a pump that had avremote and was to be cgm enabled, then we could all see who the winner would be.

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Instinctively I think I prefer the idea of the tubed pumps... I just can't imagine the omnipod not digging in/poking out...

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Whoo hoo ! :D I didn't realise you were getting a pump ! Congrats ! :D

Whichever you choose, good luck and we want an account of the journey ;)

( ( That's "we" as in us on here, not " We" as in Signy now thinks she is Queen of the Wildlings ! ) :D

Signy the Serf

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Instinctively I think I prefer the idea of the tubed pumps... I just can't imagine the omnipod not digging in/poking out...

Looking at the picture that Tim posted above the girl looks like she's wearing the previous pod to what is available now, the current pods are really small and discreet and you hardly notice your wearing one, I've got one on my stomach at the moment and it's hardly noticeable through my shirt.

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Whichever you choose, good luck and we want an account of the journey ;)

( ( That's "we" as in us on here, not " We" as in Signy now thinks she is Queen of the Wildlings ! ) :D

You are SO FUNNY!! Your posts really make me :) :) :) ...❤️

Btw the pump isn't definite: my assessment is next Wednesday - so keep fingers and toes crossed for me...

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Looking at the picture that Tim posted above the girl looks like she's wearing the previous pod to what is available now, the current pods are really small and discreet and you hardly notice your wearing one, I've got one on my stomach at the moment and it's hardly noticeable through my shirt.

Ah, ok - good to know... Would you think a girl could get away with something slinky with the new pod...? And, does it dig into you...?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Ah, ok - good to know... Would you think a girl could get away with something slinky with the new pod...? And, does it dig into you...?

I'm sure you can and there's plenty of lady's who use this pump, a lot of the video's on Youtube are quite old and don't show the current Pod and PDM.

It doesn't dig into you, you have to make sure that you don't wear the pod where the skin will crease, but you can wear it any place wear you would normally inject insulin, tbh most of the time I don't notice I'm wearing one, I've not used a pump before so couldn't say how it compares to other pumps, but I really like it and it was the Omnipod being tubeless that attracted me to choose it over other pumps.

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks @noblehead - that's good to know... Initially I really didn't want a pump with tubes - cos it felt like it would be more intrusive and I worry I'll catch it... But then I saw ( what is maybe the old) omnipod - and thought that looked *really* bulky and intrusive... So thought maybe the wired ones were more discreet... I also 'wriggle' loads when I'm sleeping - so I worry which is more likely to be an issue in that case.... The pod I'm worried I'll roll over and it will dig into me - the tubed ones I'm worried I'll roll over - and possibly disconnect!

But... It sounds like the pods have moved on from the ones I've been looking at...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm sure there's photo's out there on the web comparing the old and new pods for the Omnipod pump, but I would wait and discuss your options with your DSN near the time, it's never best to rush into these things and regret it later, as said look at the pro's & con's of each model.