If it works for you......

John J

I'm expecting a bit of disagreement here, especially after reading many of the threads so far. :wink:

Anyway, I was diagnosed as Type 2 in late August and since then I've made a determined effort to lose weight, keep fit, and generally adopt a fairly sensible diet.
I've managed to lose over 2 stone..down from just under 16 stone to 13.5 stone.
My blood pressure has fallen from something like 168/90 to near normal. Average Blood sugar levels have steadily improved too. 8.9 to 7.3 to 6.3(most recent).

The doctors and diabetic clinic are very pleased with my progress and efforts and advise me that I can control my condition by diet alone. I agree and expect an even greater improvement as I lose more weight.... I need to lose another stone to bring me down to 12.5 when I'll be fairly content even although I could get away with losing even more.

Anyway, they haven't encouraged me to "self test" and I'm inclined to agree that it isn't necessary for me at this stage. What I'm doing is obviously working for me. As long as I continue to improve and stay healthy, I feel that it's better not to worry too much about detail at this stage.
Of course, if things change and as I get older it may well be necessary to revise my views a little. Eventually, even as a relatively healthy person, I may not be able to exercise to the same extent as I do now. However, it's up to myself to monitor my weight etc and take any necessary action.

Now, I know that my outlook probably goes against much of the advice on the forum but I just feel that if what I'm doing works well for me then why not continue as I'm doing....as long as it's practical do so?

Also, I've read all the advice about Low Versus High Carbohydrate diets but feel that a "well balanced" diet is the best option for me. Of course, I have "cut down" but I still enjoy a fair amount of these and don't see the necessity of eliminating them from my diet altogether. Again, this seems to be working alright for me just and I don't see any problem with this approach.

Last but not least, I don't see anything wrong with having an occasional treat within reason. Of course, I'll still avoid the very obvious "No nos"

As I say, my circumstances may well change as the years go by. Until then, I think it's probably sufficient to continue with a sensible lifestyle and, of course, be aware for the future.

Or am I being too complacent?

Robbo

John J

You seem to have the same philosophy as me.

I was diagnosed last year, cut out all obvious sugars and lowered my carb intake, i do not test and do not intend to unless my circimstances change.

Last HBA1C 5.9

Good luck and all the best.

Robbo.

John J

Thanks for that, Robbo, and best wishes for the future too.

As I say, my circumstances might well change over the years and I'm sure much of the advice given here will be very valid.

I do realise there's no such thing as "borderline" diabetes but I feel very fortunate that I was diagnosed at an (apparently) early stage and have no other health problems (Apart from gout which I've had for about 25 years but is very well controlled). Obviously, I had a few typical symptoms which have now subsided since I've lost weight and started to take better care of myself.

The only risk I can envisage is that I might start to slip into some of my old bad habits and one argument for "self testing" and an even stricter diet might be that it would serve to concentrate the mind more.

However, there's not a day which goes by when I'm not aware of my condition and I carefully consider all my actions and I'm sure it's possible to fall by the wayside regardless of whatever kind of treatment regime one adopts. Thankfully, the initial shock and feeling of helplessness has now subsided and I can continue to enjoy life as normal while still remaining aware, of course.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've managed to lose over 2 stone..down from just under 16 stone to 13.5 stone.
My blood pressure has fallen from something like 168/90 to near normal. Average Blood sugar levels have steadily improved too. 8.9 to 7.3 to 6.3(most recent).
well done, all those figures mean that you are now so much healthier.

jopar

Well done indeed the lad done well...

Yes if it's working for you and you'll happy then go for it..

Your results are good, and you fully aware that you need to keep an eye on things, and if necessary review at a later date but you know what you'll looking for to indicate a review might be required and that is what is good good control, good managment and good understanding

what else can one ask for...

P.S

If you say winning the lottery, only after I've done it first :D

wallycorker

Hi John and Robbo,

Great stuff! Keep it up!

Generally, I'd advocate testing so that people know what different foods do to their blood glucose levels. I took the advice that is generally given to Type 2s and didn't test for the first eight years but my condition slowly deteriorated. Testing has taught me a hell of a lot over the last twelve months. However, if you have a good knowledge of what the danger foods are and you limit your intake of those foods then I'd agree that testing becomes much less important. These days, I really always know what my meter is going to show before I do the test - almost always I maybe should have said.

The only danger with not doing any testing whatsoever is that you will not be aware if your blood glucose levels start to deteriorate until your periodic HbA1c check which tells you what the situation was some months ago rather than what is going on today. During that period, you will likely have been causing damage to your body.

However, you both sound well tuned in to your diabetic situations to me! Well done!

Best wishes and good luck with your improvement programmes - John

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dear John

Comgratulations on achieving such significant improvements to your health indicators. As you say, you must obviously be doing a few things right! :)

Diabetes is a disease which demands of the patient a high degree of involvment in its actual day to day management. It is also a quite complex disease, about which we probably all, including our doctors, still need to learn quite a lot about. As such, we all have the right to make our own choices about how we choose to treat our disease.

I believe that the role of forums such as this, should be not to preach any particular approach, but to provide information and personal experiences of fellow diabetics to allow us to make informed choices about our treatment.

Personally, on diagnosis I chose to test and test frequently, as I felt that testing was the way for me to learn about my diabetes and take matters under my own control, something which I felt I needed to do for psychological reasons at least. I still test regularly as I find that testing provides me with reassurance that things are going OK. I also have to watch out for high cholesterol levels and find it frustrating that I can only have feedback on this once every about three months, when I have a lipd panel professionaly done by a medical lab. I guess I must be a bit more insecure than you are! :)

Playing devils advocate for a minute, one theoretical disadvantage of relying exclusively on the HbA1C scores for glyceamic control, is that as HbA1C is an indicator of average glucose levels over a period, it could be disguising individual scores in the period which are either unacceptably high or unacceptably low.

However as you are not on any medication, you are probably very unlikely to have big lows and so HbA1C is probably quite reliable for you.

Anyway, as I say well done!

Regards

Pavlos

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I'm agree with Pavlos. HbA1c is only an average figure. It shows a trend and is not ideal as an indicator of overall blood glucose control.

To give an example using my average numbers over the last 90 days it is 6.7. Not bad, you might think. However what that number hides when I analyse it over that period is that I have had a large number of readings up to 14.7 mmol/l and also readings of down to 2.9 mmol/l. Hyperglycaemia and Hypoglycaemia !

So if I was to rely solely on the HbA1c or my monthly average readings I would be well wide of the mark. That's why I for one advocate frequent testing on a daily basis, without them I would be treading a pathway in the dark, possibly eventually leading to complications.

creative

Cugila,

Just out of interest why did your numbers reach such levels during the 90 days? Was it just a matter of testing new foods or some other underlying factor.

Allan

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
creative said:
Cugila,

Just out of interest why did your numbers reach such levels during the 90 days? Was it just a matter of testing new foods or some other underlying factor.

Allan

It is an underlying factor over which I have no control.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
creative said:
Thanks Cuglia,
I asked because you always seem to be in control of your BG with testing.

Allan

That's no problem. I usually am but unfortunately sometimes things are taken out of our hands. Up until 4 weeks ago I was on top of everything, now......? I still advocate frequent testing as an aid to control.

John J

Thanks for all the responses so far.

I understand all the advice about daily testing and appreciate that I'm still in the very early stages. It might well be that I have to revise my ideas sooner than I think although I would still expect continued improvement in the short term , at least...especially as I intend to lose another stone or more.

Of course, I realise that eating certain foods (or not) will cause my blood sugar level to fluctuate but does this not also happen with non diabetics?

I realise too that it is the dramatic spikes and drops which cause the problem but everything I consume will be in moderation... certainly, compared to what I've done before. Also, I don't necessary agree with the official medical advice "Eat PLENTY carbohydrates". My definition of "plenty" obviously differs.
However, I don't reckon that having a couple of potatos, one or two slices of good bread, even an occasional pasta etc is likely to do me any great harm and I wouldn't have them all in the one day. Some days, I miss them out altogether. However, I believe that eliminating these completely could lead to other health problems eg ulcers, increased risk of cancer and so on. I also need a little extra energy if I go to the gym, swimming pool or whatever.

I'm actually very fortunate that I've always enjoyed all types of food including what is good for me especially green vegetables including broccoli and so on. Therefore, I've found it very easy to switch over and I've not really missed sweeties, chocolate, cakes, pastries(Though I'll have steak pie now and again) etc. Likewise, with alcohol... I'm probably drinking much less than is absolutely necessary and would probably be quite safe if I had more. However, I've got to the stage where I don't really miss it much either. I now have a couple drinks at the most, usually, and most days nothing at all.

As I've already said, things may well change as I get older(highly probable) but I'll be on my guard for any obvious deterioration both in my health and my lifestyle habits.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
John J
If it's working and keeps working. AND you feel you've made your decision from a point of view of adquate information. go with it.
However, don't forget that the "don't self test" advice is given to save money, so it may not be the best thing long term. Also it helps to understand how different foods affect you. Things do change.
Non-diabetic Hba1c averages 5.1% and ideal is probably nearer 4.6%. If you think you are as near to that as you wish. Go for it.
Hana

John J

Well, "saving money" isn't always a bad thing. I've already done so myself by drinking less and eating smaller portions but I do understand what you're saying.

Of course, I'm still not happy with my lowest reading and would like it to come down even further. However, it's still early days and I would expect an even greater improvement if I carry on losing weight and don't overdo things at Christmas. Then, I'll review things again in January.

Yes "things" do change and that's why I will always be conscious of the various possibilities.