If you could warn us when you are going to have a hypo it would be appreciated....

Ultimaf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs in Potatoes
Ok just a little rant. I had a hypo just before I was due to pick my son up from school. So I was ever so slightly late, you know making sure I was going to live long enough to fetch him home. Today when I take him to school his teacher asked if I could let them know if I'm going to have a hypo before the end of the day so that they know.....***?!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There were a couple of threads containing stupid things that have been said to diabetics. If yours had been on there I think it might have won a prize.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It was an ignorant comment, no doubt. However, it's obvious that this person has no idea what you're going through when you're having a hypo.

I would politely explain that these are very serious events, and describe what you're going through and use terms this person could understand. I explain to other people that hypos are best explained as a "Conscious seizure." My mental and physical ability to function is seriously impaired and it can be a life-threatening matter in the most severe cases.

I've heard hypos explained that "It's kind of like being drunk." Personally, I'd try not to explain it that way as this person could negatively interpret that explanation.

Reactions: therower

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Rant away - best place to do it is here ! That is certainly the most ignorant/silly comment i've heard in a while, however just proves the need for education, I would wait until you feel a little more calmer and more composed and approach this person again.

I've also been late for school due to having a hypo, it's more stress too as you're under pressure not just for yourself but for your child, fortunately i've sneaked her in before anyone noticed so didn't warrant a report or interaction with anyone, but that was pure luck ;)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Today when I take him to school his teacher asked if I could let them know if I'm going to have a hypo before the end of the day so that they know.....***?!

How inconsiderate of you not to let them know in advance.........:rolleyes:

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
Peolpe like that need putting in a classroom with a couple of DSN's and a couple of Consultants for a few hours so "they" can be edjucated :banghead:

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree it's ignorance but isn't there a general education program for teachers and school staff who may well have children with type 1 in their charge at some point?

Reactions: Dodo

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I agree it's ignorance but isn't there a general education program for teachers and school staff who may well have children with type 1 in their charge at some point?

If there's a child in the school with type 1 diabetes then that child will come with a IHP (Individual Healthcare Plan) which the teaching staff are made aware of, it covers the triggers and symptoms of a hypo as the following article from DUK explains:

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Schools/School-staff/Responsibilities-teachers/

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
S

Shar67

This has to be the best stupid thing ever said to a diabetic ever.
It even beats my then work absence policy to inform them how long you are going to be ill for, they insisted on speaking to me, even though I was in ICU and said they could barely hear what I was saying due to the machines beeping, yes I'll just turn that off shall I, it's only monitoring I'm still alive.

Bic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I agree with Zand: the worst kind of ignorance is that of people who think they already know.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I see a window of opportunity here.
How about I set up a business.
BOOK A HYPO. com.
No need to worry about inconvenient hypos ever again.
Decide what time best suits you for a hypo, contact me with details, and leave the rest to me.
Charges will be extortionate and priced according to individual requirements.

NEVER FEAR. BOOK A HYPO we're here for you.

prancer53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Professionals who know little about diabetes who generalise!!
Ok just a little rant. I had a hypo just before I was due to pick my son up from school. So I was ever so slightly late, you know making sure I was going to live long enough to fetch him home. Today when I take him to school his teacher asked if I could let them know if I'm going to have a hypo before the end of the day so that they know.....***?!
What an arrogant response--does she actually think she knows more than you about diabetes?

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I would have been sorely tempted to say something to the effect of "could you let me know ahead of time when you plan to say something monumentally stupid so I have time to bite my tongue" but I can be undiplomatic at times. o_O:wacky:;)

Ultimaf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs in Potatoes
All of your responses are golden I'm so sorry I didn't respond at the time I lost my phone and didn't install the app again for a while. I hope you are all on good health x

Reactions: Energize