If You Feel You Are At Risk Of Diabetes And Have Allergies.....

mogalobs

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
If you feel you are at risk of diabetes and have numerous allergies then what type of diet should one follow? NO wheat, gluten, soya, dairy, lactose, nuts, herbs, spices, apples, etc. GP cannot even give me a pain killer for arthritis both RA, OA and also have osteoporosis. I have 38 on the 'sugar test' and told not to go back till November. I also take enzymes to digest foods, prescribed since 1994.
I am worried and frightened of getting too fat, as I lost my husband and comfort eat when thinking of him. 5ft 4 in and 11st .
Would vegetables help as in low carbs? Would less cereal help and just have porridge?
Any advice welcome. I am fearful of immediately having to go on to injections because all tablets contain lactose. I have had anaphylaxis attacks on lactose, parsley - oxalic acid, salicylates [aspirin] and drugs with cillin as in penicillin.
I am 76 and been ill most of my life and can only have 8gms a day of fat before being ill. Thank you.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Oh goodness, what a nightmare litany of allergies. I’m allergic to meat and dairy (and hair dye, go figure), and have had to insist that they give me a liquid formulation of my pregabalin (Lyrica) painkiller because I am allergic to the gelatin in the usual capsules. There is a lactose free formulation of metformin, I believe?

Porridge would probably be better than standard cereals, as long as it’s made with proper oats, rather than a processed one like ready brek, I’d imagine. It’s worth bearing in mind that gluten free substitute foods often contain more starch than the original, and a fair bit of sugar.

Above ground, non starchy vegetables would be a great thing to fill up on, if you can tolerate them, and protein to keep you satisfied as you can’t eat much fat. Eggs are great too, if you can eat them?

I’ll have a think and see if I can come up with some other suggestions x