1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

ignorance from other diabetics about our treatment

Discussion in 'Type 2 with Insulin' started by Mep, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Mep

Mep Type 2 · Well-Known Member

That's a worry for your colleague to say that to you :eek: although not surprising though as I've had a lot of "should you be eating that" from people in the past.

I was diagnosed at age 25 which at the time was considered too young because it was called mature onset diabetes. I was also diagnosed with PCOS the same day and told I would've been living with that undiagnosed for some time. I was also told that was the reason why I developed type 2 at a young age. I remember telling people when I was first diagnosed that I had type 2 and they'd just shake their heads and say no you can't have that as you're too young, you must be type 1. So I've been having to explain myself forever it seems since I've been diagnosed. Now I'm having to explain to type 1's that yes I'm definitely on insulin and why. I just get annoyed I guess that people assume things without understanding the condition, or even thinking it is serious as was the case with the type 1's responding in the post I mentioned earlier. My pancreas is hardly producing insulin either but I'm still type 2 as no evidence of auto immune for me. My last GAD was negative and the c-peptide showed my pancreas just isn't doing its job.

2. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Hi mep, that is understandable and billions of people also use FB. I do have a FB account, but I don't go ion t much ( my teen loves it and I do not have skype, don't want it) and I really don't want to view the 'diabetes talk' on FB, but I have seen it in the past.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Cumberland

Cumberland Type 1 · Master

I hope you don't encounter any negatives from off this site

Generally speaking some good folk on here helpful friendly etc

25 sounds young to me too mep

• Like Like x 3
  4. lizbet9

lizbet9 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm on a bolus/Basel regime as well as a type 2 - I use novo rapid (carb count) and levimir 56 units at the moment x

• Like Like x 2
  5. TorqPenderloin

TorqPenderloin Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Had met with one of my clients earlier this week and it turns out he is a diabetic (type 2) also.

We got to talking and he's insulin-dependent using an omnipod and also uses a Dexcom. It was a really cool conversation and we shared things I would have never discussed in a business setting. What's funny is that as soon as he found out I was a diabetic, he lifted up his shirt and showed me his OmniPod. If someone had looked into my office it probably would have looked pretty hilarious.

I thought the interaction was really cool and I suppose one of the few good things about this disease and how it can bring people together.

• Like Like x 8
  6. Mep

That's awesome that you were both able to chat about things. It's true though there are some good things about having the disease (never thought I'd say that. lol). My type 1 friend often chats to me about diabetes and she is trying to talk me into getting a pump. She knows I'm type 2 of course and knows I have insulin deficiency. She'd never heard of that herself either, but when I explained it she was happy to learn something new. We were both going to the same diabetic clinic at the time too. At the moment I'm happy with MDI, and not even sure if I can get a pump or not. She thinks I can and I should as I've been on MDI for over 6 years now. But right now I am happy with MDI. I would like to get a CGM though. She was talking me into getting that too.

• Like Like x 2
  7. eddie1968

eddie1968 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I am T2 on lots of mixed insulin. I am also prone to DKA and use two meters, Accucheck and Glucomen LX Plus B-Ketone meter. T1's have said I can't be producing ketones if I'm T2 in the past but some T2's are prone to it. :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Mep

Yes, I'm the same. The ER got me to eat again last night as I hadn't eaten for 10 hours. They had just done a urine test on me too so I knew it was ketones otherwise they don't even bother fussing.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook