Illness and glucose levels

kazwbb

I have been testing myself now for a few weeks and it has really helped me find out what's good for me and not so good.

The past few days though I seem to have a reading after meals of over 10 when it used to be about 8.1. My fasting has been about 5.5 but again at the moment it is about 7.

I have an abcess at the moment that is currently being treated. I have had it for 2 weeks and it is being packed and redressed every other day. Nurse says it looks lovely and clean and I finished my course of antibiotics.

My question really is could this be causing my higher than usual readings? I am also getting very very tired and have an upset tummy a lot.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
If you are ill or stressed it is a fact that this can sometimes seriously affect your Bg levels, usually in an upward direction. Tiredness and higher Bg levels also go hand in hand, sickness can also be a problem with higher levels. When my levels were OTT recently I was sometimes sick, rushing to the loo and stomach pains. My levels were much higher than my normal levels.

So, I wouldn't worry too much for now. When you are feeling better then see what the levels are.

Ken

k9kitty

Hi there,
Good to hear that testing is helping you and your abcess is now cleaned up. Your normal bg readings are within NICE guidelines too.

Your wound is still healing even when its clean, the site has to close and it is natural to feel a little run down when recovering from infection or trauma. The antibiotics may have upset your tum. When this happens to me, I have a few spoonfuls of plain probiotic yoghurt to help regain digestive wellness. If you don't like yoghurt, you can buy some probiotic capsules at the chemist, have plenty of fluids whilst your tum is still upset and keep an eye on the abcess site, if it doesn't heal fully go back to the nurse for advice.

I wouldn't worry too much about a slight rise in bg level if I had an infection, it's a sign the body is fighting it. If your bg levels are still rising or go higher after the wound and tum have settled down, why not have a chat with your GP to put your mind at rest.