I'm 21 year's old guy and living with 2 diabetes and got covid

JoshJogail

Hello, my name is Josh and I'm living with 2 diabetes since I was 16. This is the first forum that I register to. And I don't know how to express my thought's clearly.
Now I think it's the time I'm comfortable can talk about my condition and don't be ashamed of myself.

So all my family has diabetes my father my mother, and my grandfathers, and my great grandfather. everybody from my family has diabetes. When I was born I was healthy I didn't suffer from this disease, but when I got older doctors to diagnose me with diabetes. That day was the sades in my life. I was literary crying inside my bedroom for hours because I was sad and I knew that I can't drink anymore a lot of soda, no more delicious cakes, and other candy. I knew that eventually I will have that disease but I didn't know that it came when I would be that young.

My parents always teach me how to eat healthier. How to make and choose food that was suitable for diabetes, and always told me that every human body is different what suits you doesn't mean it suits everyone in the family.

When I was going to school some kind was bulling me, making fun out of me, calling rude names. High school was a nightmare for me, bet that hard yes made my soul strong and after graduating and joining college I had the best years of my life before covid-19 arrived.
In 2021-01-10 I got covid-19, and that was really hard. I was living alone in my apartment. I couldn't speak couldn't think. I was like a vegetable. Getting food and insulin was a daily challenge for me. One day I thought I'm going to die and this is my last hour. Every day in my mind was zero positive thought. I was giving up, but my doctor never gave up. Two times a day she called me and asked me how I felt that moment and if there were bad moments. Sometimes she reminds me when I need to take an insulin shot. My doctor is a hero, She sacrifices her own time to call me and asked how I felt. If I had another doctor I think I would be dead. Thank you.
I think for the first time is enough.
P.S English isn't my native language. So sorry for the mistakes I made.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @JoshJogail , and welcome to the forum!

It sounds like you were very lucky with such a caring doctor.
How are you doing now?
P.S English isn't my native language. So sorry for the mistakes I made.
Don't worry about mistakes, we can always ask for clarification. So may I ask, are you sure you mean diabetes type 2? Most people with type 2 don't need insulin, and you are very young.

JoshJogail

Hi @JoshJogail , and welcome to the forum!

It sounds like you were very lucky with such a caring doctor.
How are you doing now?

Don't worry about mistakes, we can always ask for clarification. So may I ask, are you sure you mean diabetes type 2? Most people with type 2 don't need insulin, and you are very young.

Thanks for asking. I'm feeling right now great and my doctor even let me ate a little slice of cake today. So I'm happy.

I have level 2 diabetes and need insulin because drugs don't do any effect on my glucose level in the blood. So this is why I need insulin.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Like to know what your diet is ...

But you're young, you're clearly very intelligent, and T2s can do almost anything with their life, insulin or not.

Set goals my son, and this is just one challenge, but with a hard attitude to it, you'll find fortitude you never knew you had.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello & Welcome @JoshJogail to the club that none of us want to join and you have nothing to be ashamed of you have not done anything wrong - none of us have ... They are a really friendly, helpful, knowledgeable bunch on here so any questions just ask away ...

Reactions: EllieM and ziggy_w

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

As previous posters say the cause of your diabetes is your genes. Many people have very bad diets and never develop diabetes.
Type 2s if you are actually a type 2 are intolerant to carbohydrates and usually insulin resistant. Many here have been able to control their blood sugars by dramatically cutting down their carb intake. I would recommend that you consider that as if you have any level off insulin resistance you don't want that to increase.

Welcome.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hello, my name is Josh and I'm living with 2 diabetes since I was 16. This is the first forum that I register to. And I don't know how to express my thought's clearly.
Now I think it's the time I'm comfortable can talk about my condition and don't be ashamed of myself.

Welcome to the diabetic forums Josh, and well done for coping with covid when taking insulin and living alone. It does sound like you have a very caring doctor. As all the others have said, T2 is a genetic condition that means you are intolerant to carbohydrate, just as some people can't eat dairy or gluten, so you absolutely shouldn't be ashamed. (Though I know school kids can be cruel and will pick on anyone who is different.)

Anyway, we're an international forum, so there's usually someone online to chat if you want to post, though many posters are UK based. Can I ask which country you are located in? (No need to reply if you do not want to.)

JoshJogail

Like to know what your diet is ...

But you're young, you're clearly very intelligent, and T2s can do almost anything with their life, insulin or not.

Set goals my son, and this is just one challenge, but with a hard attitude to it, you'll find fortitude you never knew you had.
Thank you for your support.
My diet is really simple. I'm actually lucky because I can't eat anything that has sugar and I can't eat citrus fruits and pork. So I make my diet so there would be any of this thing. I really right now even don't remember everything I can't eat.

For today breakfast I eat white bread with beef ham and a little bit of butter, of course, a cup of coffee
At lunch, I eat rice and stewed chicken with vegetables like a few potatoes, carrots, and broccoli.

JoshJogail

Welcome to the diabetic forums Josh, and well done for coping with covid when taking insulin and living alone. It does sound like you have a very caring doctor. As all the others have said, T2 is a genetic condition that means you are intolerant to carbohydrate, just as some people can't eat dairy or gluten, so you absolutely shouldn't be ashamed. (Though I know school kids can be cruel and will pick on anyone who is different.)

Anyway, we're an international forum, so there's usually someone online to chat if you want to post, though many posters are UK based. Can I ask which country you are located in? (No need to reply if you do not want to.)

Thank you for the support

I'm from Lithuania, but right now live in Finland.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Bread (any color) and rice? No ....carbs aplenty
Though given that @JoshJogail is on insulin, any reduction in carbs needs to be done with care.

I have heard of Types2's now being diagnosed very young but for diagnosis at 16 I'd want some tests done to verify the type.

Reactions: HSSS

JoshJogail

Though given that @JoshJogail is on insulin, any reduction in carbs needs to be done with care.

I have heard of Types2's now being diagnosed very young but for diagnosis at 16 I'd want some tests done to verify the type.
Right now I can't even remember what kind of test I was taking. But I know I have type 2 diabetes. Because I trust my doctor and she tells me I have this type of diabetes.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We mention checking what tests you have had because 16 is very young to have type 2. Not impossible but unusual. I know you trust your dr but sometimes things are overlooked or mistaken. This is your health condition, and your body, and to manage your diabetes the best you can involves understanding it fully. That includes the tests you have, what the numerical results mean and what to do next. Sadly not all the right tests are done by every dr. Perhaps ask for a copy of the tests you have to confirm type and what your hb1ac (3 month average) is and has been.

How much education have you been given about type 2? For example potato, rice and bread are not suitable foods for a type 2 in almost all cases. They have a lot of carbohydrates which raise levels. Sugar is a type of carbohydrate but not the only one.

Have a read of these links and come back and ask questions about anything that is confusing etc. Knowledge is power.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...ish-i’d-been-told-at-type-2-diagnosis.173817/

Reactions: Rokaab

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Right now I can't even remember what kind of test I was taking. But I know I have type 2 diabetes. Because I trust my doctor and she tells me I have this type of diabetes.
I agree with other posters that T2 is very unusual at age 16 and T1 more likely. What is your weight like? I'm afraid many good GPs get the diagnosis wrong for diabetes. If you are on the slim side I would ask for the two tests for T1 i.e. GAD and C-Peptide.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are on the slim side I would ask for the two tests for T1 i.e. GAD and C-Peptide.
Even if you're overweight having T2 is unusual at your age, so I agree with looking a bit deeper in how your doctor came to their diagnosis.
But I know I have type 2 diabetes. Because I trust my doctor and she tells me I have this type of diabetes.
Asking questions is not the same as not trusting your doctor; doctors are only human and they can overlook things.