I'm actually proud of my control now :)

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Heya all,

I've now had diabetes for longer than I can remember (nearly 45 years I think), and its taken me a long while but I finally feel like I'm in some sort of control :)

Bit of background: Most of my first 35-40 years or so my control was god awful (that's a very polite way of putting it), my HbA1c during my A-levels was 90+ lol, it wasn't til the appearance of the libre than my control changed from its previously awful state (where getting an HbA1c of under 58 was pure luck rather than skill or judgement) - the libre did get my HbA1c down into the 40's for the first ever, however my inconsistent DP was causing many rollercoasters on my libre graph

However even with the libre my time in range was between 40 and 50% no matter what I tried, and my overnight rollercoaster rides were making my tired and irritated (I think I just wasn't sleeping well due to said rollercoaster)

So my latest improvement is mostly cos I finally persuaded my hospital that I needed a pump just under 2 years ago (it took a number of years of fighting for it and I only got it cos the old consultant retired ...), and I managed to prove to them that I needed the sensors as well that worked with said pump (mostly due to my nasty DP most nights of the week, but hypos on the other nights - with no predictability) - so I am using Medtronic auto-mode on the 670g to deal with that - though I still have a lot of 'tweaking' to do, I cant just leave it to do its thing

So yeah my proud achievement is getting from my previous 'control' to this :)
upload_2022-5-19_10-43-30.png

That graph/chart compares the last 30 days with the previous 30 days, and woot, look at that percentage of time in range :)

Reactions: DunePlodder

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
Rokaab my story is pretty much the same as yours , in the early years I didn't really look after my self at all , doing a pee test was to much bother so I didn't , and when the blood testing was available I still didn't do it that often and as far as carb counting was concerned no way I just ate what I wanted , how the heck i've got here without a single complication is amazing and I can only thank God for that , only recently I have got serious about looking after myself , carb counting and multiple blood tests losing weight and I can say how great I feel I only wish I had done all this 47 years ago , I look back and think about the hypos I had and how it affected my everyday life and would just say to any newly diagnosed , don't let it rule your life but take it seriously enough to keep a long and healthy life .

Yaya10_10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's fantastic.
Well done
Congratulations on this amazing control.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tenacity, perseverance and technology. Winning combination!

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks all, and yeah its mostly down to the newer tech, cos I could not see what was going on before and I certainly couldn't deal with my overnight issues without the auto-mode on the pump - ie the newer tech for me has been a complete game-changer.

An yes @jaywak I had pee sticks at the beginning as well and when they brought in blood testing it was like a torture device (especially as I was only 8 or 9 at the time I think) which set up my lifelong hatred of blood testing

Reactions: DunePlodder

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
Congratulations! You're a Hero!