I'm an idiot

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I finally did the genius act of losing my blood test meter. I just thought I would share some tips on how to deal with this situation. In hindsight, these are all things I would love to have done.

1. Don't lose your meter.

2. In case number 1 ever fails, write your name, address and phone number somewhere on your meter or its storage case.

3. Have a spare meter. If it's not the same as your regular meter, make sure to have test strips to hand.

Thankfully, I actually had number 3 to fall back on.

Preparation is key here, if you take precautions you can be far more relaxed about your idiocy than I have been.

Reactions: 10 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I finally did the genius act of losing my blood test meter. I just thought I would share some tips on how to deal with this situation. In hindsight, these are all things I would love to have done.

1. Don't lose your meter.

2. In case number 1 ever fails, write your name, address and phone number somewhere on your meter or its storage case.

3. Have a spare meter. If it's not the same as your regular meter, make sure to have test strips to hand.

Thankfully, I actually had number 3 to fall back on.

Preparation is key here, if you take precautions you can be far more relaxed about your idiocy than I have been.
I lost my sd code free. Think left it on desk at school. No idea where it's gone. At all. Bought new one at mums then doc decided to give me strips for nexus which he gave me on repeat. I now have one sd code free, one nexus, one accucheck ( which I will never use unless sd code free go bust and doc stops repeat prescription!). Might by small nexus as it would fit in handbag but that'll have to be next month. Deep sympathies!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just like insulin pens, always keep a spare meter just in case, Number 1 is stating the obvious :)

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just like insulin pens, always keep a spare meter just in case, Number 1 is stating the obvious :)

I feel a bit daft, cos I haven't got a spare meter. It never occurred to me to ask for one. I was given a meter, but would I get a spare one on the NHS or would it be a case of funding it myself?

I would prefer to upgrade: I want my current meter to be my spare and I want a paper white good readability sort as my new current one. I don't want much. :(:rolleyes:

Reactions: 2 people

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you contact the company who make your meter they'll probably send you a spare. Glucomen did that for me and upgraded at the same time so sent me two of the new one.
X

Reactions: 2 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you contact the company who make your meter they'll probably send you a spare. Glucomen did that for me and upgraded at the same time so sent me two of the new one.
X

Thank you for the advice - I'll give it a try today. It's true we need a spare.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I feel a bit daft, cos I haven't got a spare meter. It never occurred to me to ask for one. I was given a meter, but would I get a spare one on the NHS or would it be a case of funding it myself?

I would prefer to upgrade: I want my current meter to be my spare and I want a paper white good readability sort as my new current one. I don't want much. :(:rolleyes:

Ring just about any of the meter companies and they'll send one out for free, if they ask how many times you test a day just say you test 8+ times, I'm sure being a type 1 that figure won't be too far away.

I nearly always get mine from my DSN when I go for a diabetes check-up, the meter reps give them away for free knowing they will get passed on to the patients, the money that the companies make is in the strips not the meter so that is why they give them away for free.

Reactions: 6 people