I'm Climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro!

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Some friends and I are climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro in Africa in January. (This is not a joke – I’m really doing it. Bought the boots and everything...). It’s in support of The Penny Brohn Cancer Centre, and in memory of our friend Gary Haynes who died of Cancer in August of last year aged 33. We have recently set up a JustGiving page for sponsorship:

http://www.justgiving.com/garyhaynes

We would all very much appreciate if you are able to sponsor the whole group. We are funding the trip ourselves – so every penny of sponsorship will go to Penny Brohn. They do an absolutely awesome job (completely free of charge), and rely solely on charitable contributions.

Many Thanks! (Wish me luck!!!)

-Pat.

P.S - a number of the group are Dr's/NHS employees. This can only be a good thing, right?

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
I'll sponsor you Pat, but seriously mate, you'd better start seriously training nowish.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Tell me about it! We've been training for a while - it's not something we're taking lightly! (I'm secretly petrified...)

Been doing LOTS of hill walking (we're lucky with that in the West Country!), and got the mountain bike out for some uphill/downhill riding.

Thanks for getting in there first, boro!!! Really appreciate it!

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
So that's what you meant by being a bit busy! :lol: Good for you, Patch!

Keep us posted about your progress with training, and we expect to hear all about it when you get back. :D

Viv 8)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Patch,
My heart says
'Well done for not letting this 'thing' beat you
My head knows how hard it could be and worrries about possible problems.
Please train sensibly, please get medical advice (my doc insisted that I had an exercise stress test before the VLM)
I'll add a donation but have to wait till I get 'paid'.

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Patch - we've just sponsored you... and will add some more to it in January before you go! Do you have a minimum limit you're trying to achieve?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Administrator said:
Hi Phoenix - we've just sponsored you... and will add some more to it in January before you go! Do you have a minimum limit you're trying to achieve?
I'm not climbing Kilimanjaro, far too hot,
it's PATCH thats the crazy one :lol: