I'm freaking out! Anyone know what this means?

madfish69

Hi,

i get my usual eye checks for diabetes done every year. Well last October I did mine...and several months later (i think in March...so a couple of months ago) I got a letter from them saying that I need to go back as the photographs taken were inconclusive.

But I called them to book it for later as I went abroad at the time.

Anyway, so today I get a call about the rebooking and the admin lady at the Willesden clinic said that apparently my "notes" on their system say that I needed to get a split lamp examination done as the photos before were inconclusive?

This is freaking me out!!! Does this mean my eyes have major problems. Is there any way the photos could be inconclusive the last time and to be safe they want me to have a split lamp...or is it a certainty that there's some big problem.

My eyesight issues scare me as much as death itself :(

Please let me know what you know to be true. Don't sugar coat anything...at the end of the day I need to face up to whatever I have to.

I'm so depressed.

Anyway, thanks in advance to all who respond.

C

catherinecherub

Hi madfish,

Calm down, or you will raise your blood sugars. I have just read my leaflet that accompanied my eye screening and it says,

"VERY OCCASIONALLY IT IS NOT POSSIBLE FOR PHOTOS TO BE TAKEN SUCCESSFULLY. IN THIS EVENT YOU WILL BE REFERRED FOR MANUAL SCREENING".

This may be what it is all about.

Catherine.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
possibly, your pupils didn't dilate enough for the camera to get a good view.
I'm sure it's nothing to worry about
Hana

madfish69

I very much hope that you're both right! I will be soooo relieved if that's the case. Thank God this forum exists with helpful people like yourselves.

Thanks again :)

MaryChristine

Hi

Just wanted to add that, in the unlikely event of there being something wrong with your eyes, at least it has been picked up early, giving the best chance of successful treatment.

And if you're thinking "split lamp" sounds scary, i expect they mean "slit lamp" which is just a device for examining the eye by shining a narrow beam of light at it (the beam passes through a slit, hence the name :) ) No worse than the examination your optician or GP has probably done with a hand-held ophthalmoscope.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes
MaryChristine