1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

I'm furious!

Discussion in 'Diabetes Soapbox - Have Your Say' started by hanadr, Oct 26, 2012.

1. hanadr

hanadr · Expert

I wrote to DUK about the dropping of the AHEAD study, because it has been found that the conventional dietary advice doesn't work. I suggested they should look into LCHF again
    I got a reply from them saying that as they are evidence based, it's unlikely that they would ever recommend a high fat diet. I got furious and here's what I have sent back to them

>If you claim that a high fat diet exacerbates cardio-vascular disease, you are NOT evidence based. The "heart healthy diet" belief begun by Ancel Keys is based on falsified data as is well known to anyone who has actually looked at it. He studied 22 countries and discarded all the data that didn't fit in with his beliefs. His study was published as the 7 countries study. Please open your eyes and look at the mass of evidence which shows clearly that restricting carbs is the best way by far to control diabetes. There's evidence from Sweden as well as the USA, that a high fat diet in the absence of carbohydrates is perfectly safe. It's only when you combine the high fats with carbohydrates that problems arise. That's been known since the Steffanson/Anderson Study in New York in 1926!!!!.
    It takes courage to examine data and DUK DOESN'T have enough of it. Instead the orthodoxy, which is outdated is being followed. It's not right just because a lot of people say it is and it's in the textbook. Books have been known to be wrong before. Galileo suffered for that And a lot of published material is sponsored by pharmaceutical companies for profit.
    In the past diabetics were taught to carb count [not just insulin pump users] That has gone in favour of a more pharmacological approach.[ all pharmaceuticals have side effects. some Really do cause heart attacks and end up being withdrawn after they have killed enough people. Remember Avandia!]
    I realise that there will always be patients who won't take things seriously and will carry on with a dangerous lifestyle. However there are plenty who WOULD if they knew what to do keep healthy. How can they do so with the rubbish that passes for advice. You have the AHEAD study in front of you showing quite clearly that the conventional diet approach DOES NOT WORK. How about following that evidence? Incidentally which evidence are you using to show that fat is harmful? does it actually exist? Have you checked? Sorry if I'm rude, but I'm furious! so many people are being harmed buy the stupid low fat advice. Try reading Gary Taubes, Richard Bernstein, Mary &Dan Eades, John Briffa and the others.
    Hana Rous<

2. Patch

Patch Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Nice. (No pun intended).

I'd love to hear how they respond...

3. Superchip

Superchip · Well-Known Member

GO hana ! very well said !

Speak loudly and through a megaphone, don't forget that they are all STONE DEAF !

You have managed to precis exactly the feelings and belief of most on here, IMHO.

It will be only by ignoring the downright stupid dangerous advice given by the discredited NHS and DUK lackies and getting on with our own choices that we can collectively get better control.

Like you, I am volcanic at the total stupidity at the so-called medical profession in the pay of the pharmas.

Up the revolution !

Diabetes Popular Front ( Suffolk Division )

4. xyzzy

xyzzy Other · Well-Known Member

So would I!

A brilliant letter Hana thanks for sending it :clap: :clap: :clap:

5. dawnmc

dawnmc Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Wow Hana, nice one. As someone said 'You go girl'. Mind you apologies to any Americans - I hate americanisms.

6. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Nowt like letting off a bit of steam Hana :)

7. candyfloss

candyfloss · Well-Known Member

You are up against the Establishment. Good luck!

8. rtee

rtee · Well-Known Member

Don't mess with us Grandparents! We bite! :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap:

9. Unbeliever

Unbeliever · Well-Known Member

I doubt if anyone will have the courage to answer that Hana! Unfortunately. I just wish that all the HCPs who diasagree with the "pary- line" and who know better could find an effective voice and weren't too scared to come out and sate their convictions .

No that I blame them of course. They would ruin heir own careers without making one iota of difference and would then not be in a position to help others.

Thanks hana .

10. GraceK

GraceK · Well-Known Member

Take a chunk outta their bum Hana!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

11. smidge

smidge LADA · Well-Known Member

Nice one Hana!

Wish I had the energy to join you in holding them to account, but absolutely shattered at the moment - trouble at work :roll:

Just felt I had to login and show some support!

Smidge

12. IanD

IanD Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I wrote the following to the Hounslow group leader & dietitians:
    Replies to date:

13. IanD

DUK have issued a "Position Statement" on low carb.

The PS does not consider the increased fat aspects of a low fat diet. Also:
    Nor does it take into account its own references (11, 13) to the 44 month Swedish trials, nor ref. 18: which was a study of the effects of the Atkins diet:
    I did email Ms Worth (who is on the DUK committee that reviewed the scientific data) but got no reply.

14. IanD

15. ))Denise((

))Denise(( Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I read the document. It makes several assumptions about people with Type 2 (I didn't read the Type 1 bits) that don't apply to me.
    1. We are all overweight and need to loose weight - ok I'll put my hand up to this one, with a BMI of 28, I need to loose a stone or two.
    2. We all have high blood pressure - I don't, my machine tells me that I have 'optimal' blood pressure at around 120/70.
    3. We all have high cholesterol - my total was 5.2 so an endo put me on statins, which took it down to 3.0 which I felt was too low, so stopped the statins (haven't had a test since).
    4. We are all heading for a heart attack and have blocked arteries - I took part in some medical research where I had my heart CT and MRI scanned and put under pressure, the cardiologist said that I have no calcium deposits and there is nothing wrong with my heart.

They seem to make more of problems with our hearts than what we really have problems with which is glucose control from our wonky pancreas. Yes, I take a high dose of metformin along with a small dose of gliclazide, but it is the amount of carbs you eat that makes a difference to your HbA1c.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook