Type 1 I'm having my first blood test tomorrow in probably 5 years. I have no veins and major fear. Tips?

Catsymoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hi guys,

I've had to bite the bullet and book a blood test for tomorrow as I've been feeling dreadful the last week or so, no energy whatsoever and a strange sickly empty feeling in my stomach regardless of sleeping normal 8 hours and normal meals. I am so tired and fatigued I can barely function. I saw a nurse practitioner yesterday who has mentioned depression, but also needs to rule out any physical problems such as anaemia or an under active thyroid. I am definitely not feeling myself. My limbs feel like jelly, I can't concentrate and I am exhausted. I almost feel as if I'm in a permanent hypo, that's how weak and nauseous I am feeling at times. My sugar levels have been higher than normal, but that's nothing new for me. I've tested for ketones today just to be sure and nothing. There is a bug going around at work and lots of people are off sick, but I haven't had any sickness or any extra trains leaving the rear tunnel. My tummy does feel a bit hollow, and my whole body feels like I haven't eaten or slept in days.

Now, my veins are just non existent, and even googling blood test tips is making me have a panic attack and want to throw up. I couldn't even be sedated for an endoscopy a year ago due to not being able to find any veins anywhere. The last time a nurse tried to get blood out of me, her prodding made me almost faint and she gave up. People touching my veins makes me cringe and nauseated. Even before any blood is drawn. The anxiety has gotten worse and worse and I just can't handle it at all. I KNOW I NEED this test because I haven't even had an HBA1C since 2014/2015. I want to get better but my intense fear is making me feel even more ill. What can I do? I also have the dentist for a filling an hour after the blood test... I am not looking forward to tomorrow!!!!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Drink water/fluids. Lots of it. Dehydration is a huge factor in having “difficult” veins. It may not be the entire answer but it definitely won’t help. Get up and drink. Drink as much as you can manage til your test.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
As @HSSS says, drink.
Be warm when you go in.
Ask them to use a kids butterfly needle.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As soon as the person who is intending on taking your blood introduces themselves, take control and stay in control. Remember nobody likes having needles stuck in them but we do it because it’s a necessary evil and if you are running high BS you’re heading for complications that will require treatment and monitoring with those needles.

Tell them clearly (while you are standing up) that this is a massive issue for you and unless that person is absolutely confident in getting blood from tricky veins then they are not to do it and to find someone else. Categorically state that they are not to poke and prod randomly and the second you say ‘stop’ they are to stop immediately. Lie down whilst having it done. If you faint (a very normal reaction for humans on seeing blood) let them know if you are ok with them continuing or not.

I make noise when I’m pain, lots of it because it helps me cope ESPECIALLY when I’m having blood taken and I warn them I’m going to do it but they are to ignore it and get on with what they are doing until I say STOP. I sing, repeat words or noises or say ‘ow’ over and over.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Also is there anyone that could go with you to help keep you calm or at least keep your mind occupied it may help.
It wasn't a blood test but I know when I had my last contraceptive implant put in I took a friend who held my free hand and kept my mind occupied whilst the doc was trying to remove the old one (and omg she made such a hash of it - if said friend hadn't been there I'd have been in an awful state by the end of it - it should not have taken nearly that long and I'm def not having her do it next time!)

Cobia

Type of diabetes
LADA
One thought from me.

With hard veins to find. id ask for some one that is good at it. Im some one who gets trainees i dont have the hidden vein issue..... they still stuff it up.

Good luck.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I am always "back of hand" because I have very hard to find veins and apparently when they do find one, the wretched things "dodge". I drink plenty before going and still usually have to repeatedly clench my fist and let go before they try putting the tie thingy round my arm.

Most times it works OK. There was one brilliant nurse at the surgery who could always get blood out of me but she retired. I still miss her!

Good luck! The advice to drink plenty and stay warm is good, and speak up for yourself - tell them this is huge for you, that you are liable to become nauseous and need someone experienced and good at the task.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I tend to find if the phlebotomist is good, it'll be less painful.
I've had a phlebotomist who was very rough with me, I bruised for about a week. Whereas the phlebotomist at my hospital is very skilful and it wasn't as painful. She tied a belt clip around my arm, slapped the area a few times, clenched my fist once and she spoke to me, not like small talk but she actually spoke to me which kept me calm. I fell in love with her after, I didn't bruise at all and healed very quickly.
But as everyone else said drink, keep warm and express very very clearly to your phlebotomist.

Catsymoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hi guys, it went OK. I just got very sick afterwards for about 10 minutes but they did get blood out of my arm very fast and I drank loads of water all morning... and the nurse was annoyed at previous nurse saying she must've been going too deep. I actually need to ask you guys for some more advice because I feel I am being discriminated against at work due to my health/diabetes. I've been crying most of the evening and having the ''why do I have this disease'' ''I'm such a burden'' thoughts going round my head.

A few weeks ago, I injected my insulin at work, then noticed someone had taken my lunch. I panicked as it was the one day I misplaced my emergency sugar as we had started hot desking and I forgot I took my can of red bull and jelly babies home with me the day before. I do accept responsibility for that. However, the next day I got pulled aside for a ''catch up'' by my manager.. I got told I overreacted, am being negative and to be mindful of other people around me that may get offended at my behavior. This was on a week where SHE KNEW my sugars were out of control and I had been crying down the phone to my diabetes clinic for help with no answer. I went home that night and cried my eyes out and felt horrible and guilty for upsetting other people with my condition - they don't know I am diabetic and probably assumed I am just being a brat.

I did pull my manager aside another day when I had some time to process the information and what happened, and I explained how if I am going to potentially have a medical emergency, what other people think of me is not my concern and they can judge all they want. She still did not understand and just compared me to her dad with type 2, saying he manages his with exercise, and suggested I take a walk around the lake on my lunch to improve my diabetes. (I actually did this one day for a charity walk and had a hypo before dinner) She did not understand how blood sugars effect my mood, either.

Today it happened again... they questioned whether my doctor's appointment was ''that urgent'', and mentioned that I only said anemia and suddenly I am talking about HBA1C, depression and thyroid. I didn't know these things, hence why I rang the bloody doctor, and he deemed it urgent based on my symptoms! My co worker also told my boss I had depression before I had the chance to, and they basically grilled me about ''how I come across to other people'' and mentioned I am still on probation and it sounded like a threat. They kept asking questions and trying to make MAJOR issues out of minor things or questions I've asked. Kept asking if I was OK, and almost didn't believe me? Asked more about the depression, made me feel very uncomfortable as if I was lying... I am so upset, this has just made everything worse. And I am so angry at my co worker for going behind my back like this. I wanted to wait for blood test results and plan of action before I approach my manager. Because now I am sat there looking like an idiot and unable to answer their questions... sorry for the rant, this is just so overwhelming.