I'm more confused than ever

bolt911

Hi,

I'm hoping someone out there can help me understand my situation better.

I was diagnosed as diabetic in October with DKA and a high HBa1c of 16.5% & BG in the high teens
I was immediately placed on background insulin (Lantus) 20 units per day.

Other than the DKA I was a fit & healthy when diagnosed, although I had lost some weight immediatly before diagnosis, probably due to the DKA

Since then my requirement for insulin has diminished to the stage of not needing it at all, even a few units tends to make me Hypo at some point in the day, in fact I was at one point having to eat just to stop me from becoming Hypo, So I'm no longer taking insulin.

I'm on a low carb diet, as I find pasta, potatoes and especially rice & bread spike me up into double figures, so I avoid them,
at my last checkup my HBa1c was around 6% , my BG is now between 5 & 7 as long as I avoid carb rich food

I'm not over weight my BMI is in the mid 20's and I'm not from an ethic background, although there is a history of Type 2 on my fathers side of the family (he does not have diabetes, however my Grandmother did and Aunt does)

I don't have the markers for Type 1a diabetes and am clearly not one as I no longer require insulin

so I don't seem to fit DKA prone Type 2 either, due to low BMI & my ethnicity

I don't have high blood pressure and my cholesterol is normal

I was 43 at the time of diagnosis and am now 44.

My GP has no idea and neither do the diabetic team at the surgery, as to what my treatment should be as I'm not like any other diabetic they have come accross. I'm currently on Type 2 medication of Metformin & Januvia
They are however very supportive and helpful. they just term me as a unusual case.

Is there anyone else out there who has a similar experience to me? As I feel somewhat isolated.

glenmoray

I would suggest you try starvation at different times of the day for a few days closely monitoring your blood sugars and ketones and without taking insulin. If they all come back normal you might not be a diabetic and it could have been something else that triggered the KA.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App