I'm negative, my duaghter is positive and we live in same house

fictionuk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My Daughter has come home from work (nursery teacher) and She has tested positive. I went for a test and have tested NEGATIVE. Whats the best advice. Should I stay in the same house or if possible, go somewhere else ?

Any advice will be most welcome.

Thanx in advance

Dean

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My Daughter has come home from work (nursery teacher) and She has tested positive. I went for a test and have tested NEGATIVE. Whats the best advice. Should I stay in the same house or if possible, go somewhere else ?

Thanx in advance

Dean

Gosh, that's a hard question and it's all down to individual choice. Personally, I would stay put but try and isolate myself within the house (not possible for all of course). Unless you have an empty property to go off to you are in danger of spreading it to others because even though you have tested negative you may still have it and if you were following the NHS rules, you'd be self isolating anyway having been in contact with someone who has it!!! Complicated eh, but yes, I'd stay at home as far away as poss from your daughter, then I'd try to get another test in a few days (not always possible) whilst monitoring myself for any symptoms. x

fictionuk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Many thanx for the prompt reply. Its actually a flat so its not that big. Yes, she spends most of the time in her bedroom anyway. But for piece of mind I think it could be Travel Lodge, just me and no one else for ten days. As I just told my Missis, its head ruling heart ruling health. As you say, tough one.

Thanx for the reply :)

Dean

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I lived in separate rooms from my hubby while I had covid19. He didn't appear to catch it but could have been asymptomatic as we weren't allowed tests back then.

fictionuk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I lived in separate rooms from my hubby while I had covid19. He didn't appear to catch it but could have been asymptomatic as we weren't allowed tests back then.

That is an option but as its a relatively small flat I can't get that feeling that one wrong move and i've got it. Tough call to say the least. As mentioned its heart ruling head ruling health.

Thanx for the reply

Dean

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is an option but as its a relatively small flat I can't get that feeling that one wrong move and i've got it. Tough call to say the least. As mentioned its heart ruling head ruling health.

Thanx for the reply

Dean
And as I said...I think it worked for us but it may not have. Hubby may have caught it after all our efforts but may have been asymptomatic.

Good luck. I hope you stay well

Last edited:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Thanx for the reply

Dean
I personally would act as if I am infectious. I would isolate as much as possible in the flat.

Travelodge and others have strict rules now about who can stay, and infection control.

fictionuk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I personally would act as if I am infectious. I would isolate as much as possible in the flat.

Travelodge and others have strict rules now about who can stay, and infection control.

Yeah I read earlier. I was tested NEG about 2 hours ago, at least I can prove it..

Anyway, i'm going to site on it for a couple of hours and make a decision. Its probably going to be Travel Lodge just for peice of mind. I won't have to mix or see anyone and in my head that feels best.

Thanx again and you too stay well

Dean

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @fictionuk, as you say it's a difficult situation and not one I have experience of so can't offer any words of wisdom, I'm afraid. Sorry if it's a silly question, but what would you do about food if you go and stay in the Travelodge?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What about your daughter? She might need you if she becomes unwell.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My partner who works in a care home has had a positive result. Getting confirmation from the nhs tests, thing is we wive in the same house, I can’t see anyway if he has it that I don’t too!

so fingers crossed for us all!

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am

Thanx in advance

Dean
I wish you all well. If you can it may be worth buying an oximeter. This is to check blood oxygen levels in case anyone with covid19 needs medical assistance. The PM was checked with one before being admitted during the first peak.
We all had Covid in September. As we have children sharing bedrooms, we isolated the first 17 yo and moved our 14yo in with our 12yo. The 14yo was already getting it and moving her just meant the 12yo got it. Then we all did. No one had complications but some of us were ill for 3 weeks. I've heard of people in more spacious homes managing to isolate the sick successfully with the ill person using one bathroom and staying in one room. Overcrowding is a big factor. Good luck with whatever you decide.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @fictionuk, as you say it's a difficult situation and not one I have experience of so can't offer any words of wisdom, I'm afraid. Sorry if it's a silly question, but what would you do about food if you go and stay in the Travelodge?

Deliveroo?

fictionuk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Right, Theres 4 of us, two of which are clear (me and my partner. My missis is going to be working from home and my daughters boyfriend is going to his bosses as he is clear too.

Regarding food, i'll have a brekkie and (sadly0 a Mcdonalds next door and a Tescos so munchies aren't a problem. Its just a ****** position to be in. Different strokes...and all that.

Everything is in place for everyone else its just i worry like hell and really don't want it (no one does). .

Thanx for the replies and advice

Dean

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Regarding food, i'll have a brekkie and (sadly0 a Mcdonalds next door and a Tescos so munchies aren't a problem. Its just a ****** position to be in. Different strokes...and all that.
You said earlier
I won't have to mix or see anyone and in my head that feels best.
I'm not trying to start an argument but I'm a bit confused. I thought you were going to the Travelodge to isolate. You could contract covid literally within seconds of taking a test, so a negative test is not a guarantee that you haven't got it, especially if you've been in close proximity to your daughter since you were tested o_O

Reactions: lovinglife

Honeyblossom

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My sister in law had it she works in our hospital. She self isolated straight away in her bedroom, husband in separate room and three daughters separate. None of them caught it thankfully. Whatever you decide hope it works out

Reactions: lovinglife

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please stay where you are that’s the rules. My hubby has and is still working right through this pandemic, he is an essential worker and sometimes has to stay away from home even during lockdown - I worry about him a lot as we all have underlying conditions including himself.

You are putting a lot of people in danger by staying away from you’re home when you’ve been in close contact with someone with Covid - the staff, guests etc at the hotel, people who deliver your food or the staff who serve you at the takeaway/supermarket

Reactions: TashT1

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m sorry. Am I missing something. You have been living with someone who has tested positive. You should not be leaving your house for any reason. It is actually a legal requirement to isolate and you could be fined if you do not. Your daughter needs to isolate in her own room. Leave meals outside her door. And do not be around when she needs to use the bathroom. Moving elsewhere would be an extremely selfish move.