1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Im New & need some advice

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by kevsteph30, Jul 14, 2010.

1. kevsteph30

kevsteph30 · Newbie

Im on here to find out some advice. My son (now nearly 2) was born weighing 10lb 12oz, a huge shock after my first baby was 8lb 1oz. The last 3 times my urine was tested by the midwife I had sugar detected but I never questioned it as I have never dealt with diabetes before. After my son was born I got an apology & was told I probably had gestational diabetes. Luckily my son was born without intervention & was healthy.

Over the last 4 months or so i have noticed a definate change in my sons drinking. He has gone of milk totally & will only drink juice. I diltute it very weak as im afraid of tooth decay. During the night it is not unusual for me to have to change his nappy 4 times & he drinks just under a litre of juice. I decided to measure it by filling up an old squash bottle with diluted juice & he's drinking all if it in a night. During the day I am having to change his nappy every 2 hours or so & if by accident I happen to leave him any longer he'll leak through & wee on the floor. it's costing me a fortune in nappies as im using the leading brand as the others leak after an hour. A close friend told me about her neice having similar symptoms when she was younger & she now has diabetes. Do you think im being paranoid or is this unusual behaviour. Im considering potty traing & I don't stand a chance while he's drinking so much. also he has dry patches on his skin that flair up now & again, I thought it was eczma but i've been told that could be a symptom of diabetes too. i am going to make an appointment for the GP but would like to see what other people think. if it is diabetes could it be linked to me having it in pregnancy? thanks

2. annettekp

annettekp · Well-Known Member

Hi

I think you need to take him to the GP as soon as possible. Yes your son is displaying signs that MIGHT indicate diabetes BUT diagnosis has got to come from qualified medical personnel who can rule out what it isn't very quickly.

Annette

3. ebony321

ebony321 · Well-Known Member

I definately agree with annette!

If your concerned then take him straight to the GP.

If he looks very unwell, starts to be sick or loses conciousness call the NHS helpline or take him straight to A&E, i don't mean to cause you anymore worry that is necessary but it's best not to risk anything with a small child!

again like annette says it could be something apart from diabetes, but whatever it could be best to get it checked out to be safe!!

all the best!

4. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

I agree with others, you need to get your boy seen as soon as possible, this most be awful for your little lad and you do not want to leave this any longer.

Nigel

5. kevsteph30

kevsteph30 · Newbie

Thanks everyone, appointment booked with GP today at 12pm. :?:

6. Lynne C

Lynne C · Member

If your young son is drinking as much as you say you need to get his blood glucose checked out as soon as possible. The fact that you had gestational diabetes indicates a possibility of your son having diabetes, let's hope it isn't but the sooner you find out the safer for your son.

Regards

Lynne C

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook