I'm worried about my eyes

apdouglas

Dislikes
Rude people. Manners cost nothing!!
Hi. Been diagnosed with T2 for 4 months now and just got the results of my retinal screening and they showed "some background retinopathy". I appreciate that they say no treatment is necessary but I’m only 29 years old and worried that in time my eyes will deteriate so much I will go blind!

You all have probably heard this loads of times but is it always a case of background retinopathy becoming more serious or can it be reversed through tight BS levels?

My most recent (last week) HBA1C was 6.8% which I know still needs some reduction but I didn't think that was too bad and since I have been told this, I feel like all the hard work over the last 4 months has been a waste of time because complications are starting already!!

Probably being over dramatic and I suppose I’m just looking for some reassurance really but any experiences or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Andrew, I am further down the retinopathy road than you, but something I have observed is that the eyes are the LAST to settle down following a radical change in glucose control, so your experience is not uncommon. Also, provided you catch them early enough, some people do report a reversing of initial signs of complications, but only following a significant tightening of control.

An HbA1c of 6.8% is not bad but it could be a lot better too! Don't forget your blood pressure as well, this is just as important when dealing with the microvascular system, so your kidneys benefit too. HOW you get your numbers better I will leave to someone else, as my experience is from a T1 perspective. Good luck!

kewgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Andrew

To try and put your mind at ease.

The whole purpose of eye screening is to pick up any potential eye complications earlier rather than later. One of the reasons people with diabetes lost their sight was because screening was initially not available & also a vast majority of people failed to attend the appointment choosing instead to ignore their invitation either because the purpose of the appointment had not been explained to them or they just wanted to ignore it.

Controlling blood glucose levels & not smoking can reduce the risk of getting sight-threatening eye changes.

Have you been given a follow on appointment yet?

The following may also be helpful to peruse if you haven't already been given a copy
http://www.retinalscreening.nhs.uk/user ... abetes.pdf

best wishes

Txx

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi
Background Retinopathy isn't serious and if you keep your BG under control, it may reverse.
there is a school of thought that complications are inevitable, but I don' hold to it. I firmly believe that BG control at non-diabetic level prevents damage and heals that which has already happened.
A non-diabetic Bg is close to 5mmol/l at all times and goes back down almost immediately if it evrer goed up.
I believe that complications come about as a result of injury to microblood vessels done by glycated haemoglobin.
Keep down to 5 for a year and your next retinal scan could be "all clear"

apdouglas

Dislikes
Thanks for the responses, they really put my mind at ease.

I am trying to get my numbers down and to be honest this has spurred me on even more so you never know, one day I might be able to join the 5% club :lol:

Kewgirl - Thanks for the link, the leaflet was really interesting, I just wish I had received that before hand. And to answer your question, no I haven't been given a follow up appointment, I just have to go next year. So thinking about, it can't be that serious, can it.

I just find it annoying that they send a letter out saying that I have background retinopathy but it doesn't need treating and just come back next year. No explanation into what it is, why i have it or anything....disappointing!

Oh well, I know now, thanks again for the info.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi Andrew

I had my first scan shortly after my diagnosis in March, I think it may have been late April after my blurred vision had gone and my eye sight had returned to normal.

I was told, like you, that I had background retinopaphy but the doctor who took the pics and looked at them while I waited also told me that I had one haemorrhage behind my left eye and that although it was really nothing to worry about he would have to report it as background retinopaphy. A few weeks later maybe a month I am not sure I had my eye tested for glasses and told the optician what I had been told about the haemorrhage, he gave me a very thorough eye examination and although he didn't dilate my eyes as is done at a retinal screening he said that after a good hard look he could see no damage.

Now it could be that he saw nothing because he didnt dilate my eyes but it could also be that as my eyesight had settled back down the small amount of damage had repaired itself. I wont know until next year when a new photo is taken and can be compared to this years.

But I would say to you not to worry about background retinopathy. Just carry on working on your bg control and all should be well.

hanadr said:
A non-diabetic Bg is close to 5mmol/l at all times and goes back down almost immediately if it ever goed up.
A recent small survey showed that non diabetics spent almost an hour a day with their bg levels over 7.7mmol/L and also showed that non diabetics could swing between 1.6 and 13.4mmol/L. It also concluded that tight control is essential for avoiding complication but the survey shows it is incorrect to believe that non diabetics bg levels are always in the 5's.

apdouglas

Dislikes
Hi Sid.

Thanks for that, it's really reassuring. I know we are all different and have different experiences but it's nice to hear people say not to worry about background retinopathy because I did think it was the start of a very slippery slope.

I am no expert but when i have tested my friends and family, they have had numbers ranging between 3 and 8 but obviously they come back down in the 5's quite quickly so i agree with what you are saying about the non diabetic numbers. Either that or a lot of my friends and family members have diabetes :lol:

Cheers

Andrew