immunosuppressant medicine for type1?

debbietowns

Hi,

Can i ask what may be a stupid question that has been buzzing round in my head for a while.

If type 1 is an autoimmune disease where you body is killing the good cells, would it be possible to take tablets that suppress your immune system to slow down or stop it?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Debbie

IrishJoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Fish =p
Funnily enough I've been thinking about this recently.

This link (diabetes.org.uk) has something along those lines.

The test would be if a Type 1 diabetic got HIV/AIDs and their insulin production started up again as the compromised immune system wouldn't be able to attack the 'foreign insulin' producing cells

badmedisin

Surely taking drugs that knock out your entire immune system would be far more dangerous than diabetes? You'd have to live in a bubble! Don't most people who develop AIDS die from opportunistic infections? You would basically risk dying from something really stupid like a cold. Personally I'd rather have the diabetes.

debbietowns

I agree it seems strange but my husband has been takining drugs to supress his immune system for years for Ulverative colitis. I dont think its as scarey as it sounds.

I have seen some research trials that are looking into this but i wondered if the is any treatment already available?

Debbie