1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Impact and value of apple cider vinegar tablets on levels

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments' started by memememeiii, Jan 21, 2017.

1. memememeiii

memememeiii Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have been measuring my blood sugar for easily over a week, and the levels are all over and high, most of the time. Then yesterday I started taking apple cider vinegar tablets with every meal. Today numbers tested at NORMAL. What should I take from this as I work to lose weight and reverse T2D?

Presumably it's like a natural drug, then? What's happening in the body with this, and can you have detrimental effects? I'll research this, but I wonder what you guys think?

Thanks.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. wiseowl_123

wiseowl_123 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Juicetin

Juicetin Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Good evening Wiseowl, do you just sprinkle cider vinegar liquid neat on top of your food?
    Does it not make your meals taste nasty?

• Like Like x 2
  4. Jamesuk9

Jamesuk9 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I always put a tablespoon into a small amount of water and drink it right before my meal. It's great stuff for many things besides glucose control.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. miahara

miahara Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It affects one of the enzymes that break down carbs into sugars so reduces BG spikes. There was a good programme on the BBC's Trust Me I'm a Doctor a few months ago. Cider vinegar seem to work better than malt.
    The main benefit, as evidenced in the programme seem to be a reduction in cholesterol and as far as I can understand there were no long-term effects on BG.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/art...j20/is-apple-cider-vinegar-really-good-for-me

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    #5 miahara, Jan 21, 2017 at 9:00 PM
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  6. Jamesuk9

Forgot to mention, there is growing evidence that it is at least as effective at glucose control as drugs such as metformin too. Can't find the link as I'm not at my pc but it's on Google somewhere.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. 75Bedford

75Bedford Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I also take a tablespoon with with water before each meal and going to bed, has to be the pure unpasteurised one though that contains "the mother" to help.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

My eyes caught a bottle on the supermarket shelf the other day, and after reading elsewhere on the forums that people use it I bought the bottle. (pure unpasturised "the mother" type.) I had a dessertspoonful in water before bed last night. I woke about 2am with dreadful indigestion, which I never normally suffer from. This may or may not have been caused by the vinegar but it has slightly put me off.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jamesuk9

That unusual, for most its a remedy to indigestion and Gerd. Stick with it for a few days as it helps glucose regulation really well.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

It was probably my evening meal then!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tabbyjoolz

Tabbyjoolz Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I did try it for a while, drinking it neat, like a shot (not recommended!), and got slightly lower readings. More recently I've been sprinkling it on food when I remember.

I might try drinking it again - this time diluted in water.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Speedbird

Speedbird Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have pickled dill with my cheese most evenings. It is very vinegary. No sure whether it works or not but since low carbing my tastes have changed and I now crave vinegary food. The last time that happened was during my pregnancy! I suspect though that if you "listen" to your body, it may tell you what it needs. X

13. walnut_face

walnut_face Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I tend to make up a salad dressing of 1 part Apple Cider Vinegar, 1 part basalmic vinegar and 1 part olive oil

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

I don't buy balsamic vinegar as it tends to be laced with sugar, up to 20 percent, so well over the limit I set for my consumption. I use wine vinegars, without any added sugar.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook