Impact and value of apple cider vinegar tablets on levels

memememeiii

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dunno. Strange question.
I have been measuring my blood sugar for easily over a week, and the levels are all over and high, most of the time. Then yesterday I started taking apple cider vinegar tablets with every meal. Today numbers tested at NORMAL. What should I take from this as I work to lose weight and reverse T2D?

Presumably it's like a natural drug, then? What's happening in the body with this, and can you have detrimental effects? I'll research this, but I wonder what you guys think?

Thanks.

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I always put a tablespoon into a small amount of water and drink it right before my meal. It's great stuff for many things besides glucose control.

Reactions: memememeiii

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
It affects one of the enzymes that break down carbs into sugars so reduces BG spikes. There was a good programme on the BBC's Trust Me I'm a Doctor a few months ago. Cider vinegar seem to work better than malt.
The main benefit, as evidenced in the programme seem to be a reduction in cholesterol and as far as I can understand there were no long-term effects on BG.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/art...j20/is-apple-cider-vinegar-really-good-for-me

Last edited:

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Forgot to mention, there is growing evidence that it is at least as effective at glucose control as drugs such as metformin too. Can't find the link as I'm not at my pc but it's on Google somewhere.

75Bedford

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I also take a tablespoon with with water before each meal and going to bed, has to be the pure unpasteurised one though that contains "the mother" to help.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My eyes caught a bottle on the supermarket shelf the other day, and after reading elsewhere on the forums that people use it I bought the bottle. (pure unpasturised "the mother" type.) I had a dessertspoonful in water before bed last night. I woke about 2am with dreadful indigestion, which I never normally suffer from. This may or may not have been caused by the vinegar but it has slightly put me off.

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My eyes caught a bottle on the supermarket shelf the other day, and after reading elsewhere on the forums that people use it I bought the bottle. (pure unpasturised "the mother" type.) I had a dessertspoonful in water before bed last night. I woke about 2am with dreadful indigestion, which I never normally suffer from. This may or may not have been caused by the vinegar but it has slightly put me off.
That unusual, for most its a remedy to indigestion and Gerd. Stick with it for a few days as it helps glucose regulation really well.

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
I did try it for a while, drinking it neat, like a shot (not recommended!), and got slightly lower readings. More recently I've been sprinkling it on food when I remember.

I might try drinking it again - this time diluted in water.

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have pickled dill with my cheese most evenings. It is very vinegary. No sure whether it works or not but since low carbing my tastes have changed and I now crave vinegary food. The last time that happened was during my pregnancy! I suspect though that if you "listen" to your body, it may tell you what it needs. X

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I tend to make up a salad dressing of 1 part Apple Cider Vinegar, 1 part basalmic vinegar and 1 part olive oil
I don't buy balsamic vinegar as it tends to be laced with sugar, up to 20 percent, so well over the limit I set for my consumption. I use wine vinegars, without any added sugar.