impaired glucose regulation

Andiii

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
HI

I've been feeling really tired, weak, aching muscles, headachy, light-headed, ringing in ears, nauseous, frequent hot sweats, poor concentration, occasional blurry vision, poor sleeping recently which is slowly getting worse. I've always had palpitations and several checks found nothing. I have been for blood tests last Thursday and yesterday was mortified to receive a doctor's standard letter to say I had impaired glucose regulation. I cannot see how this has happened as I eat loads of fruit and veg (so much I have wondered if I have eaten too much fruit over the years), low fat and sugar, I don't drink alcohol or smoke, take regular exercise (aquafit, walking, yoga) am not overweight, if anything my BMI is under and have had lowish blood pressure, and my latest reading at doctors (when a little anxious) was 109 over 75 (I think). I am terrified that this will develop into Diabetes or heart problems and cannot see how I can change things to prevent this when considering the above. I am a born worrier and always stressed and am very isolated, having no family which makes my anxiety worse. I have started the menopause so presumed my ill feelings were this. I do not feel this is the root of my problem and was expecting it to be more a thyroid or iron deficiency problem. I am due more blood tests for other things next Friday but am getting terrified to go far, even to work because of my current symptoms as when they come on they are quick and I just drain of energy to do anything and feel so ill. Whilst I do urinate frequent, I would not say excessive and do not have thirst problems as I drink water (sometimes forcing it down) to get my daily allowance and keep hydrated. My weight can fluctuate a few pound either way but I generally stay around 7.5 stone. I have always had IBS symptoms and expected this to be the cause - perhaps coeliac as I suffer from terrible bloating and stomach cramps and gas.

I've joined this forum as I am totally ignorant to this condition and don't know where to go from here. I guess I need all the tests first to see if anything else is wrong but am so worried I am going to collapse or get worse in the meantime. Can anyone relate to this and are my symptoms typical for diabetes?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Andiii and welcome to the forum,

I'm so sorry you have all these problems, but if you take control of this now you can stop it developing into full blown diabetes. The key is a suitable and sustainable eating plan, which believe it or not, excludes fruit to a large extent. Fruit is very high in sugar. It is natural sugar, but sugar none the less, and some fruits are worse than others. For now I would cut the amount down, and stick to a small apple or berries, avoid bananas and tropical fruits, and avoid smoothies and juices altogether.

Diabetes type 2 isn't restricted to fat sedentary people who eat too much rubbish food, it is fairly random and often genetic or just bad luck. However, you have been caught early, so you can look at it as an opportunity to improve your health generally.

I would take a few deep breaths and wait for the next lot of test results to confirm if there are any other problems. When you go for these tests, please ask your nurse/doctor what basis they made the diagnosis on. Which glucose test you had, and what the readings were. You can also ask for a print out. You are entitled to this and will find it very useful further down the line.

Please stick around on here, ask as many questions as you wish, and I wish you the best of luck with your next tests.

Reactions: 2 people

nancyb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with Bluetit, but also, I really think you need to consider the impact of stress in your life as this can also mess up your blood sugar. Stress can lead to a state of chronic inflammation that can cascade into a whole range of health issues.
I would follow the advice on this site regarding nutrition (I suspect you may find the idea of raising your fat intake difficult, but trust us on that!) but in addition, have a big think about stress and how to reduce it.

Sukayalid

Hello Andiii,
You will get so much support on this site, and the symptoms you describe are so similar to myself, although I would guess I am a few years further on. Bluetit is correct, it is important yo get the stress under control. I worry and stress so and after my diagnosis a few months back and change to low carb diet, I became an emotional wreck and made things worse and had an angina attack, glucose through the roof etc... I am now recovered, although still a little emotional but all the help and info received on this forum made all the difference. Good luck and I am sure there will plenty of advice from members

Naveed123

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Pump
I've joined this forum as I am totally ignorant to this condition and don't know where to go from here. I guess I need all the tests first to see if anything else is wrong but am so worried I am going to collapse or get worse in the meantime. Can anyone relate to this and are my symptoms typical for diabetes?

Cut down your exam stress by using our latest lean six sigma certification and high quality ccie service provider gmat and Testking We provide updated www.sterling.edu with 100% pass guarantee along with Thomas Aquinas College

Last edited by a moderator:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

Yes, getting the tests is the first step - and I suggest that you dont make any dietary changes until you have got the tests done. this is because if you make any major changes first, they may affect the results.

Then, when you have got the rsults, please come back, tell us what the results are, and any medication you may have been given. Well be able to help with any questions you still have - diet, lifestyle, etc.

:)

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Hello and welcome. I agree with @Brunneria Come back after your tests, and let us know how you go on. You aren't going to get any worse before then

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You must be glad that you are here, the info here is very valuable. Firstly I am not a medical doc, but have had all the symptoms that you listed. Am also single, divorced, did not have access to my daughter for years. But she is big now, 16years; visiting me whenever possible, but without knowledge of my ex. So all these stress me out even now. For me seeing of my baby at the railway station is the most difficult part; it looks as though it will be the last. My list is endless; am sure everyone has his/her list probably longer than I do.

I suffer from terrible bloating and stomach cramps and gas.
You have acidity problems. Are you on medication for this? like beta blockers or prozols?

I am a born worrier and always stressed and am very isolated, having no family which makes my anxiety worse. I have started the menopause so presumed my ill feelings were this. I do not feel this is the root of my problem and was expecting it to be more a thyroid or iron deficiency problem.
This clearly indicates that you are stressed and may be suffering from anxiety disorder. Again, acidity and anxiety disorder have strong relationship. Persons suffering from these problems are deprived from sleep in terms of number of hours and quality [deep sleep]. I do not have any idea on thyroid, so cannot comment on that aspect.

I don't drink alcohol or smoke, take regular exercise (aquafit, walking, yoga) am not overweight, if anything my BMI is under and have had lowish blood pressure, and my latest reading at doctors (when a little anxious) was 109 over 75 (I think).
Apparently you are a clean person in terms of habits. Your BP is very good for your age, actually in the athletic range; may be due to your regular exercises. Keep them doing.

As per your post, indication is that you have impaired glucose regulation. Well, at 50years with your stress levels, menopause etc it is likely. But nothing to worry much as it can be managed very well. May be it is good now that you know action is needed. A few guys I know have had impaired glucose regulation; impaired glucose tolerance; even pre-diabetes for more than 10 years and yet not fully T2D. They managed with simple diet and exercises. But you definitely need to avoid stress - that is the big spoiler. I am with you on the aspect of being lonely, it is very miserable life to be alone. My biggest fear is how to spend the weekend. But we need to try.

From my end; best advise is -

1. Exercises: keep trying different forms of exercises - like resistance exercises, yoga, running, swimming, biking etc. Keep exploring new forms of these workouts, by doing that you work on different muscle groups. To an extent, you can keep the anxiety factor under check by doing so.

2. Low carb diet. Read on this forum about low carbing.

3. Sleep well. at least 6hours. This is the tough part, but very important. I won my battle with sleep issues, but had to try several ways. In short, Internet is great - there are so many methods reported - I am lucky that somethings worked for me. These days, I sleep for 6 hours, and might get up in between [due to acidity or any other reason], down a hot chocolate - spend sometime on my computer about 1hr or so; go to sleep again. So you need to find what works for you.

Keep us posted on your progress.