Impaired Glucose Tolerance / prediabetes in previously healthy, normal weight toddler

sallyp13

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum. My almost 3 year old son was in hospital over the weekend and ended up with a diagnosis of Impaired Glucose Tolerance / Prediabetes. He was previously well and is a very active, happy child who is normal bodyweight. His symptoms were:

- Fatigue to the point of not being able to sit up / hold his head up followed by vomiting on Sunday morning

- Fasting BM 7.8, BM later that morning 17.1

- Having been dry at night since October 2019, he has started wetting to bed most nights over the previous 3 weeks

- Increased thirst and excessive weeing over previous few weeks

His BM readings while in hospital ranged from 4.9 to 10.8, and a glucose tolerance test showed a normal fasting level but a raised 2 hour level of 8.2. We are waiting for more blood test results later this week for autoantibodies etc.

Had anyone else been in a similar position with a young child? Did they go on to develop full blown diabetes? In the early days was there huge variability in readings, suggesting an element of glucose control at times, and not at others?

Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks,

Sally

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi @sallyp13, can I just offer empathy and some support.

Generically, accurate diagnosis is important, followed by a treatment protocol that maintains within range numbers and minimal variability between highest and lowest numbers; this should help your son feel well.

If the treatments do not provide the outcome you expect, then maybe detail the diagnosis and what has been prescribed. Whilst no one on here can treat (especially pediatrics) we are good at sign posting and making suggestions that may help.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Saying a 3 year old has Prediabetes is very odd unless his BMI is very high. Type1 fits the information, but the doctors will be trying to rule out a few less common possibilities.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum. My almost 3 year old son was in hospital over the weekend and ended up with a diagnosis of Impaired Glucose Tolerance / Prediabetes. He was previously well and is a very active, happy child who is normal bodyweight. His symptoms were:

- Fatigue to the point of not being able to sit up / hold his head up followed by vomiting on Sunday morning

- Fasting BM 7.8, BM later that morning 17.1

- Having been dry at night since October 2019, he has started wetting to bed most nights over the previous 3 weeks

- Increased thirst and excessive weeing over previous few weeks

His BM readings while in hospital ranged from 4.9 to 10.8, and a glucose tolerance test showed a normal fasting level but a raised 2 hour level of 8.2. We are waiting for more blood test results later this week for autoantibodies etc.

Had anyone else been in a similar position with a young child? Did they go on to develop full blown diabetes? In the early days was there huge variability in readings, suggesting an element of glucose control at times, and not at others?

Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks,

Sally

Hi @sallyp13 ,

Welcome to the forum.

How is your son now? Whilst you are awaiting blood work results, do you have access to a home meter?
I can only suggest that if your son expresses those symtoms accompanied with a high BG level. Dial 111.

Best wishes.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I can only suggest that if your son expresses those symtoms accompanied with a high BG level. Dial 111.

You could also buy some ketone urine testing strips from a pharmacy and check his urine for ketones. Ring 111 if they go high.