Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
IMPORTANT: Roche issue battery warning about Accu-Chek Insight insulin pumps

Roche Diabetes Care have warned that using low-quality batteries or incorrectly confirming the battery type in the Accu-Chek Insight insulin pump can lead to hyperglycemia.

Roche added that doing this could result in rapid pump battery depletion or unexpected shut down. If this goes undetected, patients using the pump will receive incorrect insulin doses.

In June 2015, Roche provided battery model recommendations and have advised that all users check to make sure the batteries in their pump meet the required specification.

If you experience a rapid decrease in power, you should contact the Accu-Check Pump Care line on 08007312291.

https://www.gov.uk/drug-device-aler...ump-battery-depletion-or-unexpected-shut-down

Read more at http://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2015...accu-chek-insight-insulin-pumps-94234159.html

Reactions: 2 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Further to this, it's not just low quality batteries that are causing this problem.

I have only used the lithium batteries supplied by Roche and the last three batteries have gone from Low Battery Warning to Battery Expired in less than 30 seconds, which then suspends the pump.

This time I was in the middle of a yoga session at home, so no problem, but it could equally have been while out walking around site at work. I intend to call Roche today.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Reported this morning

new pump will be on the way tomorrow

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Thankfully, everybody should be sent an email from Roche if their details have been logged with Roche.
These faults as said before many a time should be logged on the MHRA website.
These pumps have been out a year now and for this only just to come out is quite appalling really because a lot of children and parents have these because of the handset. If these faults were reported to MHRA Accuchek would be forced to investigate sooner... Rather than eaiting "for a number of ysers to report incidents".
Accuchek are brilliant at resolving issues. They certainly listened to me 5 years ago but I still believe it was my reporting to MHRA that sped matters up. At the time on this website people just didn't realise problems were from the sets.
The MHRA ask Accuchek and all pump manufacturers to officially investigate themselves... As MHRA have not got resources to do this but it does put time limits etc in place and ensures problems are rectified sooner rather than waiting for numbers of people to report.. Which people either don't realise or just think its ok...its not ok. These pumps are our health...

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
Just had a brief look at the MHRA yellow card scheme and I I'm going to write a copy of my issues and get the form on line filled and emailed to the over the weekend, anyone who's had experience of this is the yellow card thing the way to complain about their products? " pump & handset "
Let us know please

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Only from the sets issurs, but also with the Navigator Freestyle CGM. All 3 years ago now. Know I did it on equipment, wrote down serial or box numbers etc.
With MHRA I also photocopied all my books of readings when they contacted me to prove how exact etc I was. I still have those books as a reminder that problems aren't always the diabetic!!

I was very exact.. Too unusually exact probably. Even to this day I still have people telling me that it wasn't the set (that was withdrawn) fault but me...

I also took photos of the sets etc as I did of the cgm sensors when wrongly alarming to prove they were stuck solid at times of alarms b blood not matching etc.

If its mechanical I always take photos.. and when MHRA email me then I have address to send everyttning to.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
My team have offered me this pump (and others). Have the problem above been resolved?

Thanks
Hi Johnny, you need to search the forums and the net for all the problems involving the insight, there are more than one or two. Some people have handed the pump back and demanded a different one or gone back to injections.

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Johnny, you need to search the forums and the net for all the problems involving the insight, there are more than one or two. Some people have handed the pump back and demanded a different one or gone back to injections.
i want to hand mine back and go for a different one but i don't think the nurses will allow me to swap =.=

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
i want to hand mine back and go for a different one but i don't think the nurses will allow me to swap =.=
The combo is still in use so ask Roche to swop you over to the combo if not I would suspect you need to make a whole list of problems and say you don't feel safe on the pump and as far as you are concerned it's not fit for purpose.

Reactions: 2 people

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The combo is still in use so ask Roche to swop you over to the combo if not I would suspect you need to make a whole list of problems and say you don't feel safe on the pump and as far as you are concerned it's not fit for purpose.
im on my second handset and pump already lol, this is my first ever pump >.<

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
im on my second handset and pump already lol, this is my first ever pump >.<
Then that's not good. Most people liked the previos pump the combo, so give a large hint if you have anymore problems.

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
These pumps have been out a year now and for this only just to come out is quite.appalling really because a lot of children and parents have these because of the handset.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
These pumps have been out a year now and for this only just to come out is quite appalling really because a lot of children and parents have these because of the handset.

The Admin's post is a year old now @mariakatosvich, so was posted in August 2015.