Improvement in retinopathy

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I had my annual diabetes eye check yesterday. 10 years ago there were signs of retinopathy - bleeds in the retina. Not then needing treatment, but needed to be watched. It would normally progress to needing laser surgery.

Now there is no indication of a problem. I presume it is due my my low carb diet & improved diabetes control.

Thank you Jesus for guiding me in this. And thank you, forum members.

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for sharing the great news!
I hope the low carb helps out with my background retinopathy too.

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Fantastic news!!!! I too had my eyes screened last week and in awaiting my results. I've had type one for 34 years and few years ago mild retinopathy was found. Screening since has shown no further deterioration however so far no improvement .... Here's hoping I have so e good news like you. Keep up the good work!!! I'm a very low carber.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Patch13 said:

I hope so too, for you.

I do experiment occasionally, (not often as I don't want to undo the positive progress.)

In particular, I have experimented with cereal breakfast or porridge, comparing it with my nut porridge, & measuring BG hourly. My nut porridge stays stable for several hours, only rising to about 7- 8 after 1 hour & dropping again for 5-6.

The carb b'fasts rise to about 14 after 1 hour. after 3 hours BG drops to 4-5. My suspicion is that the spikes from carb contributed to the complications I was suffering, even though BGs were in the range approved by DUK, & my HbA1c was below 7.

I showed my results to a DUK rep who spoke to the Hounslow group about "Diabetes Voices." I'm waiting to hear from her.

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Picci said:
Fantastic news!!!! I too had my eyes screened last week and in awaiting my results. I've had type one for 34 years and few years ago mild retinopathy was found. Screening since has shown no further deterioration however so far no improvement .... Here's hoping I have so e good news like you. Keep up the good work!!! I'm a very low carber.

Please let us know if your results show an improvement. That will definitely keep me more motivated to keep low carbing!

By very low carb do you mean under 30g a day?

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I will let you know my results. My carbs are 20 per day and occasionally 30. I love my food and eat a huge variety, I don't miss carbs and my BG is almost consistently 4.4 to maximum 5.5 mmol.

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Picci said:
I will let you know my results. My carbs are 20 per day and occasionally 30. I love my food and eat a huge variety, I don't miss carbs and my BG is almost consistently 4.4 to maximum 5.5 mmol.

Wow that is great. I'm working on getting mine better, but clearly I have more work to do!

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
IanD said:
Patch13 said:

I hope so too, for you.

I do experiment occasionally, (not often as I don't want to undo the positive progress.)

In particular, I have experimented with cereal breakfast or porridge, comparing it with my nut porridge, & measuring BG hourly. My nut porridge stays stable for several hours, only rising to about 7- 8 after 1 hour & dropping again for 5-6.

The carb b'fasts rise to about 14 after 1 hour. after 3 hours BG drops to 4-5. My suspicion is that the spikes from carb contributed to the complications I was suffering, even though BGs were in the range approved by DUK, & my HbA1c was below 7.

I showed my results to a DUK rep who spoke to the Hounslow group about "Diabetes Voices." I'm waiting to hear from her.

I haven't eaten any breakfast cereals or "real carbs" for a while now, but I'm working on making my sugar levels better. They've definitely improved a lot since going low carb and my highs and lows aren't as dramatic and don't happen as often.

It's good you are sharing your findings - It would be great to have more support for low carbing. I haven't told my DSN I'm doing it yet, but I'm not expecting a good response!!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
IanD said:
I had my annual diabetes eye check yesterday. 10 years ago there were signs of retinopathy - bleeds in the retina. Not then needing treatment, but needed to be watched. It would normally progress to needing laser surgery

It doesn't always lead to laser surgery Ian, it's not uncommon for to see the early stages of retinopathy in the eyes and for it not to progress, much is dependent on bg control and if....like you someone gets a handle on it the outcome is favorable.

Congratulations anyways Ian, I'm back myself in 2 weeks time so hoping for much the same :thumbup:

Sammeh5678

My eyes are getting better with diabetes. I don't need glasses or treatment and I am amazingly lucky not to need the eye drops to dilate my pupils :)! So lucky :3

--
Sam
Sent from the iOS App
Facebook.com/sammskii999

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I developed a spot in my vision last week and went to get it checked. I had a blocked blood vessel which caused tiny new blood vessels to grow. According to ophthalmologist the jelly in the eyes breaks down as we get older (harmless) and the jelly tugged on one of the new vessels and caused it to bleed. I have lived in terror of eye complications for 27 years. Apparantly the jelly did me a favour as the vessels would have increased with time. I had laser done today for first time and was stunned to find it was okay! Not painful just a little sore. I was poorly controlled for periods of time over the years because of denial and depression. I have been assured that with good control retinopathy can be reversed. There are no giarantees in life about anything but by keeping our diabetes under control we give ourselves the best possible chance. I am more determined than ever to keep on top of my health.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I'm glad you received quick treatment with a good result,Thundercat. I hope you will have no further trouble.

mickey121

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Had my first retinal screening on Friday waiting for results back , why is it always a sunny day when you screened and dull days either side

charon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations.

Indicates that retinopathy is due to the BG level and not anything else to do with diabetes.
I couldn't find anything to confirm that, just that they are retinopathy is a complication of diabetes similarly for necrosis/neuropathy.
I'm hoping that good BG control will prevent all this rather than delay the onset.

Had my first screening results today. Came back as normal - followed by lots of comforting paragraphs saying they can have missed things which may threaten my sight!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Great news Ian!
some years ago Iwas told Ihad "mild to moderate non-proliferative retinopathy" My last retina scan was described as showing slight signs of "changes" I assume my retinas are improving on the low carb, but since I haven't seen the photos in hi-def, I can only go by the language used. Certainly in the low def on the computer screen and with eyedrops in, there's nothing visible [and Ido know what to look out for]
Hana

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you Ian. I have a few more treatments ahead but my ophthalmologist isn't worried so that gives me peace of mind. I wish you continued success with your bs control and a complication free life.

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Came home to my results. Once again graded as R1 = the mildest form of retinopathy. So once again no deterioration or improvement since it was first detected in 2011. Type 1 diabetic for 34 years since child hood. Low carb, on levemir and novo rapid

Keith300-01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Strong wind
I've had a bad bleed in my left eye 2 weeks ago and a small one in the right so now I can hardly see till it clears been to eye clinic and can't have no more laser done so they are removing the jelly got an app for 3weeks to meet the doc who is doing it have some of you had it done what did it involve ? Will I need to be off work ?

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Picci, comgrats! It's always a relief to get a good result.

Keith, good luck with your procedure. Hope everything goes well for you. Stay strong