In a bit of a dilemma

Sparklygal

Hi all. Basically there were a couple of posts yesterday that I think have been removed from tv producers wanting women with type 2 diabetes to go on a special diet for a show on ch4. I rang them up and was interviewed by one of them today just a couple hours ago. the woman wouldnt tell me what diet it is but I suspected the newcastle diet as on tuesday you have to go to newcastle for an MRI scan. Filming starts next friday in london. I live in northern ireland but that isn't a problem. The problem is I have found out in a roundabout way that it probably IS the ND. I am not confident of my ability to stick to the diet nor am I confident about appearing on national tv IF I get chosen. I live in a small town and would be a bit embarrassed if anyone said anything to me after it airs, especially if I failed. You're medically supervised on the show and probably by your own doctors at home but after you leave you're pretty much left to your own devices.

I dunno what to do, one the one hand it could be a unique opportunity to get my life sorted out, on the other I could end up an object of ridicule and a laughing stock in my hometown. I have tried and failed numerous times on a VLCD over the past 6 years and each attempt ends in failure and me ending up more depressed. So why would this time be any different? I told the lady to succeed I'd need to be in a clinical setting for the entire 8 weeks not just 4 days!

I saw the first series when it was on last year and thought it was pretty good and if the diet was food based I might be more willing but since I kinda know it isn't I am scared of failing yet again plus the embarrassment of being on tv and people knowing if I fail.

Plus it's quite short notice. I have a dog who can't bear to be parted from me and I wouldnt wanna put him in kennels anyhow. Last time he stayed with my parents he wouldnt settle and had to be brought home again. I don't know if my post breaks forum rules or not and if so I apologise and expect it to be removed but I wanted to put my feelings into writing and find out what other folks on here think. Have to make my mind up soon as there's not much time.

MaryJ

Hi Sparklygal

I think you need to do pro's and cons and see if there are any showstopping reasons not to do it.

Part of me thinks youre thinking of reasons not to do it, ?

It is a good opportunity if it suits you.

Mary x

desidiabulum

I suspect you have already made up your mind subconsciously -- you just need to find out.
You have just received an email telling you that they do not need you for the programme after all.
Are you relieved, with just a hint of disappointment? Or are you angry and frustrated?
Ask yourself -- what response do you WANT forum members to give you?

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Hope you don't mind my honesty Sparkly...I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

A "special" diet that they want you to undertake and they won't tell you what it is? Bug*er that! Sorry, but most of these programmes aren't there to help us rather to increase their viewing figures without giving a monkeys what happens afterwards. The fact that there is no real follow up also emphasises that point.

The other point - you know that you have problems with VLCD's, you have said so yourself and you have doubts about putting yourself through anything where it might make you feel worse..if you can't manage the ND, then it isn't going to do much for your confidence. I would worry about it making you feel low. I get depression and it doesn't take much to knock me "off kilter", I would hate to see this programme make you feel bad about yourself.

The best one to turn your life around is you. I'm not being sanctimonious because I have got exactly the same problem and it is a continual struggle. I still believe in myself, I hope you can do the same about yourself. :)

Sparklygal

Hey thanks folks for your replies. I knew myself deep down that this wasn't for me but I needed a sounding board with people who understand. I read my replies then re-read my own post and the answer was staring me in the face. And what ladybird said about they dont really give a **** about me just the viewing figures, I thought when she told me your on your own after thats not much good!

do ya know this site has been SUCH a help to me already and i really think i can find an eating plan to suit me and I know i'll have plenty support when I need it, thanks everyone. :mrgreen:

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
The post in question was moved to the Diabetes Research Forum.