In a fight between diabetes and hypothyroidism...

hose1975

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Who would win in the weight stakes? Given that unexpected weight loss is a symptom of diabetes but unexpected weight gain and a fudgey metabolism is a symptom of hypothyroidism. Assuming that you were undiagnosed with both at the same time, of course.

I've always wondered!

Jo

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I suspect the diabetes, I lost a lot of weight before diagnosis. Seven years later I became very lacking in motivation and stopped exercising, I started gaining some weight. My weight gain was nothing like the amount of weight I lost prior to diabetes diagnosis. I was diagnosed with hypothyroid and had antibodies . When my thyroid was scanned, it was found it to be very atrophied; I don't actually know but suspect that deterioration must have been going on for some years.

hose1975

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Most of the online articles seem to talk about people with diabetes then being diagnosed with hypothyroidism and the rate being suspiciously high, rather than the diagnosis some years down the line of diabetes in people with a pre-existing diagnosis of autoimmune hypothyroidism.

I had a thyroid scan too. Ultrasound. I can still remember the choking sensation as they rolled that ******* scanner over my neck. Still, the discovery that a whole half of my thyroid was missing made up for it...

Reactions: 2 people