Increased Hba1c Reading For Type 2 After Shock Of Death Of Husband

libbyM

i had to have a reading done here in France this morning and have just received my results this afternoon.
The numbers are different in France but have been 6.3 for a long time but today 6.6. Is it normal for
numbers to rise after such a terrible shock?

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i had to have a reading done here in France this morning and have just received my results this afternoon.
The numbers are different in France but have been 6.3 for a long time but today 6.6. Is it normal for
Bereavement is a massive stressor and stress of all kinds will raise blood sugars so will also be likely to affect hba1c as this is an average of BG.

BarbaraDavies

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm very new to this testing etc.. but from what others have said, stress and shock do effect numbers and I think what you're going through must have an effect. I think that is a very small rise and in the great scheme of things, not worth worrying over, looking after you is whats important now. With condolences and best wishes.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
sorry forgot to tick box to be notified of replies. Would Admin adjust ps
At the top right or middle it says "watch thread". Just click it.
I'm sorry to hear about your husband, must be very hard for you.
And I have two answers: 1. This is not a very big rise, could even be due to a different lab. 2. Yes, it's quite normal to see changes in emotions back in changes in bg and thus hba1c.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At the top right or middle it says "watch thread". Just click it.

So sorry to hear about your husband @libbyM I hope you have plenty of support around you. As others have said stress can push up your readings.
I’ve tagged you here so you’ll get a notification, then you’ll have arrived back here and can read the comment from @Antje77 about the watch thread button.

Reactions: Antje77

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very sorry to hear about your husband's death.

As others have said, any stress and grief are likely to impact on blood glucose, as will any change in eating patterns that come from the life change. Please look after yourself and get plenty of rest.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
You have my condolences on your loss. Of course the passing of a loved one can affect us mentally and physically. Please take good care of yourself through this very sad time.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Very sad to hear of the sudden death of your husband.

I’ve had the same. Mine died aged 51 after being dumped in A&E with chest pains and no medical assessment in 8 hours. My hubby was sudden too and aged just 51.

Yes, stress can play havoc on bloods, but yours haven’t risen too dramatically. Don’t fret over them. It is a blip as we have so much else to deal with.

Just try to keep the routines that you had before, if you can.

You are aware of higher hba1c and it is important that you do take time for yourself each day.

It’s so hard, I know but you can get back to lowering levels again but now is not the time to beat yourself up about them.

Thinking of you XX

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi there Libby - I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Do look after yourself.

In terms of adjusting your settings to notifiy you of replies; you can do this yourself.

If you want to watch individual threads, such as this one, then @Antje77 's suggestion is spot-on. If you want to watch and receive notifications for every thread you create, or when you reply, you can set that via your account preferences.

To get to account preferences, just hover on your name at the top right hand side of your screen, and select "Preferences from the mini drop-down menu. You'll then see a tile, looking a bit like the illsutration below, and as you can see, you have a couple of options you might like to choose between.

You can turn this off/on at will.

upload_2018-6-28_8-45-20.png

I hope that helps.