Increased insurance??

Twinks

Im finally ready to start taking driving lessons (once i send off the forms) but i was just wondering if having diabetes increases your insurance payments as i don't want to learn how to drive and not be able to afford the actual car :/

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Re: Increased insurance??

When I notified my car insurance I was told there would be no increase. The only thing you have to do is notify both the dvla and insurance company you r diabetic. There should not be any higher premiums because of this. However, being a new driver without any no claims discount your premiums would be high enough !

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Twinks

I can (just) reason with myself paying the amount most my friends do,but just wanted to make sure they wouldn't b drastically higher

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

No, no higher than a non diabetic unlike life cover

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

When I notified my insurance company they didnt care. No increase in cost and no change to my policy. I asked for that to be sent to me in writing just so it was completely clear in the unfortunate event that I needed to use my insurance

qbix

Same here. I phoned up my insurance provider and they didn't seem to care. The Dvla just changed my license to a 3 year license.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

No, don't have to do a re test but, will have to apply for another 3 year licence from dvla. type 1 on insulin are only issued with three year licenses which can be revoked if a severe hypo requiring assistance from another person happens. The dvla will contact your consultant/gp to verify your levels r ok to drive. I believe this also applies to type 2s on meds that lower blood sugar