1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Increased insurance??

Discussion in 'Driving and DVLA' started by Twinks, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Twinks

Twinks · Well-Known Member

Im finally ready to start taking driving lessons (once i send off the forms) but i was just wondering if having diabetes increases your insurance payments as i don't want to learn how to drive and not be able to afford the actual car :/

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

2. mrman

mrman Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Re: Increased insurance??

When I notified my car insurance I was told there would be no increase. The only thing you have to do is notify both the dvla and insurance company you r diabetic. There should not be any higher premiums because of this. However, being a new driver without any no claims discount your premiums would be high enough !

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

3. Twinks

I can (just) reason with myself paying the amount most my friends do,but just wanted to make sure they wouldn't b drastically higher

4. mrman

No, no higher than a non diabetic unlike life cover

5. hale710

hale710 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

When I notified my insurance company they didnt care. No increase in cost and no change to my policy. I asked for that to be sent to me in writing just so it was completely clear in the unfortunate event that I needed to use my insurance

6. qbix

qbix · Well-Known Member

Same here. I phoned up my insurance provider and they didn't seem to care. The Dvla just changed my license to a 3 year license.

7. Twinks

Does that mean you have to retest in 3 years?

8. mrman

No, don't have to do a re test but, will have to apply for another 3 year licence from dvla. type 1 on insulin are only issued with three year licenses which can be revoked if a severe hypo requiring assistance from another person happens. The dvla will contact your consultant/gp to verify your levels r ok to drive. I believe this also applies to type 2s on meds that lower blood sugar

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook