Increasing split basal

samantha13

Hi all. I take levimer 10u at 8am and 10u 8pm. My readings always highish (8-10) between 6am and 1pm but lowish (4-5) between 8pm and 10pm. Which time do I need to adjust?? Can't get my head around it xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I would increase the 8pm dose by 1 unit to stop the morning rise between 6am-1pm, your drop in bg down to 4-5mmol between 8-10pm might be due to you miscalculating your evening meal dose, if you skip your evening meal and bolus injection and your bg continues to fall then you would need to reduce your morning dose by a unit and see how that goes.

samantha13

Thank u noble head. Iv found my evening dose I need such a reduced ratio compared to breakfast and lunch. I take 1u to 10g whereas bf and lunch it's 3u to 10g. I will try your advice. Thanks again xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi samantha, agree with noblehead. You might find it handy to do a 3am test also. You might find you need a small amount of carbs to help you last till 6am. Around 6 am till 10am I also require more qa as people find they are more insulin resistant in the am. I need more basal in the evening to counter act the dawn phenomonan, where cortisol levels rise early hours thus increasing sugar levels. However if I did not have a snack before bed I would hypo around 3 to 4 am. Am hoping to get my pump soon so I can set a lower hourly basal rate from bed time till 6am, and then have more 6am onwards.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app