Indigestion

ggalek2951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi there been on slow release metformin 500 since June last year .been find but find I get a bit of indigestion and wind try to rule different foods out had a lot of brown bread does any one have the same problem

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Not anymore! But I did have it really badly. Started two years ago after starting prescribed oil supplement...stopped taking that and it helped but I never did get rid of the indigestion totally...and slowly it started get worst. Tried adjusting my diet...stop eating and drinking many things but it didn't really make any difference.
I have been takin metformin over 20 years, non stop, and decided to have small break from it to see what will happen.. and the indigestion disappeared! I'm now on slow release form of Metformin and it is working wonders...no problems with that.

Reactions: Manfrediwife

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. If this doesn't clear with a few weeks then do ask the GP for the Slow release (SR) version.

norbitonite

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Might be worth talking to the pharmacist about OTC Omerprazol. Works for my hiatus hernia-induced acid reflux and burping in a way that Gaviscon won't touch.

The other thing that - bizzarely - helps is flat Diet Coke/Pepsi.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi ggalek2951 I have been on Metformin 500mg 2 daily since I was diagnosed in Jan this year, had lots of wind and bloating indigestion for 2 weeks then that went, but never felt right with them. Doctor changed them to SR been on these a week seems to be settling down. I am on Omperazole 20mg caps had these for years for acid reflux so think this does help with the indigestion as that has now gone. I always have Gaviscon in as well, but I think the Omperazole are better once they get in your system its ok. Honestly it looks well when we have to take another form of medicine to combat the other meds we take.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reactions: 2 people

ggalek2951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been on anafranil 10mg for years I took that after breakfast then I went on blood pressure pill and colesteral tablet and I was told take the three at night don't think that agrees so going back to taken anafranil after breakfast see if that helps as never had a problem before the change

novo10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
im new to this i hope im posting in right place looking for help advice i was on normal metformin at the start taking my omeprazole as i have reflux , when they put it up to 1000mg x2 a day i had stomach problems pain acid ect had endoscopy nothing to report i stopped metformin and it got better so they change me to sukkarto sr prolonged release all has been well on 750mg x2 a day it has been put up to 1000mg x2 a day due to my weight going up , but now i have horrendous acid reflux hours at a time it wont stop omeprazole morning and night and ranitidine 300mg still no use ive been told you dont get it on s;ow release but im not convinced anyonr know if im right ??? please please hekp its killing me acid is horrible pains

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
im new to this i hope im posting in right place looking for help advice i was on normal metformin at the start taking my omeprazole as i have reflux , when they put it up to 1000mg x2 a day i had stomach problems pain acid ect had endoscopy nothing to report i stopped metformin and it got better so they change me to sukkarto sr prolonged release all has been well on 750mg x2 a day it has been put up to 1000mg x2 a day due to my weight going up , but now i have horrendous acid reflux hours at a time it wont stop omeprazole morning and night and ranitidine 300mg still no use ive been told you dont get it on s;ow release but im not convinced anyonr know if im right ??? please please hekp its killing me acid is horrible pains
Are you eating low carb? Reducing the carbs in your diet can do far more to lower your bg than Metformin. I can't comment on Sukkarto, but I imagine the amount of help it can give you is similar to that of Metformin, as you were given it as a substitute.

I have had 2 endoscopies for bad reflux in the past, but my digestive problems practically disappeared quite soon after starting to eat low carb. If this is an experiment that appeals to you, there is lots of help available on this Forum. You can see by the info in the signatures under Forum members' posts that many of them have been able to give up meds after lowering their bg readings with their low carb diets.