Infections and BG

markd

A couple of people have mentioned some otherwise unexplained jumps in their BG - and it is often said that even a small infection can cause this.

My BG is normally pretty stable - fasting around 4.5 and 2Hr pp perhaps as high as 4.7, until late last week, when my fasting soared up to 6.0 and my post meal about the same.

At the same time, I started noticing pain and some bleeding in one of my gums - got that fixed yesterday at the dentist and today my fasting BG magically is back down to 4.6 and 2hrs after lunch back to 4.5

So yes, even a small infection can make for quite a jump in BG.

markd

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
Wow, you're lucky, that's an amazingly teeny jump that I can only envy.

I was ranging in the high 20s when I was diagnosed with an infection post operation. (fasting around 9/10)

Also when I was diagnosed with a throat infection I was hitting around the 15 mark. (fasting around 11)

However, I'm in the oddball category of diabetes (BMI 22)

markd

Sanober said:
Wow, you're lucky, that's an amazingly teeny jump that I can only envy.

In real terms, I guess it is - but on the graph plotted by the OneTouch software it looks huge!

Since I started using the A1CNow at home test kits, I've cut down testing my BG a lot, but this just happened to coincide.

I've heard that a lot of GPs actively discourage non-insulin T2s from testing as it causes them to 'worry unnecessarily' (tho probably a cover for wanting to save costs!) and I can sort of see the point for short term issues like this.

I started out with a BMI around 40 but now down to 23 - I've often wondered if the T2 that skinny folk get is actually the same disease as those of us of who were obese or morbidly obese at diagnosis get.

mark