Infusion set pain!

justjay

Does anyone else find it really painful to insert infusion sets sometimes? Quite frequently lately when I try and put a fresh one in, it's really painful and I have to stop an try another site. All the places tried are "virgin" sites so to speak.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Re: Infusion set pain!

Did find that using flexlink (teflon) ones so swapped to rapid d with just the metal canula. I do pinch up the skin a bit which helps.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

justjay

brett said:
Did find that using flexlink (teflon) ones so swapped to rapid d with just the metal canula. I do pinch up the skin a bit which helps.

Thanks brett. I can't even think what ones I'm using at the moment, comforts I think.

iHs

justjay said:
brett said:

Thanks brett. I can't even think what ones I'm using at the moment, comforts I think.

Hi

Infusion sets are 'mass produced' so some might get through quality control as being passed as ok but the reality of using them is a different matter. It might be that the introducer needle on the comforts is not sharp enough so ring and complain and get replacements sent out and see if things are ok again.

Stefano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I had pain with Medtronic "quick set" every time I tried to insert the infusion set in the abdomen. So I changed with the "mio infusion set" and I have no problem.
But still I have the problem that every time I try to insert the infusion set in my upper legs the cannula gets bent. So I will have to try different infusion set if I want to use my upper legs.
But that's a different issue. Sorry!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

justjay

iHs said:
justjay said:
brett said:

Hi

Infusion sets are 'mass produced' so some might get through quality control as being passed as ok but the reality of using them is a different matter. It might be that the introducer needle on the comforts is not sharp enough so ring and complain and get replacements sent out and see if things are ok again.

I was wondering if it was something to do with the needle being less sharp than it should be as it's not with every set. I only use my abs for the set and am not sure on where else to use!

Stefano said:
Hi, I had pain with Medtronic "quick set" every time I tried to insert the infusion set in the abdomen. So I changed with the "mio infusion set" and I have no problem.
But still I have the problem that every time I try to insert the infusion set in my upper legs the cannula gets bent. So I will have to try different infusion set if I want to use my upper legs.
But that's a different issue. Sorry!

I had a similar thing with another set but can't think of the name for the life of me! Months ago last year I tried this other one which goes straight in rather than at an angle and my levels rocketed. Checked and the canula had bent and not even gone in!

Stefano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yep that's my problem if I want to use my upper legs. Statistically 95% of times the cannula is bent. I guess I should try the 45 angle instead of 90

justjay

Stefano said:
Yep that's my problem if I want to use my upper legs. Statistically 95% of times the cannula is bent. I guess I should try the 45 angle instead of 90

I can't imagine using my legs now tbh. Injections were ok as the needles were small but as I'm using my legs walking/running most days, they are too muscley (sorry!) to put them in I think. Need a change of site though!

Stefano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah the reason why I was trying with upper legs was exactly to change site more often as I have been almost 33 years injecting with pens using arms and abdomen.
I didn't like injecting in my legs when I was using pens,
but I didn't find painful with the insulin pump so I hoped it worked...but clearly it didn't.

Luckystar96

Some areas just always hurt!! It's trial and error really. I can only really use abdomen and around to my back ( as far as I can reach)!

justjay

Luckystar96 said:
Some areas just always hurt!! It's trial and error really. I can only really use abdomen and around to my back ( as far as I can reach)!

I'd like to say it's a pain in the backside, but only if your infusion set is there! :lol: I've just seen I could do my kidney area which I might try....

lexilox

I was just using my lower abdomen for mine as found upper abdomen and kidney area painful but this last few I've had in my upper buttocks after another friend and pump user suggested trying there and I honestly can't feel a thing! Im going to do them there as well now to vary my sites a bit. Good to try new sites. Not had cannula problems apart from they can't stay in for more than 48 hours anywhere on me or they get sore.

justjay

lexilox said:
I was just using my lower abdomen for mine as found upper abdomen and kidney area painful but this last few I've had in my upper buttocks after another friend and pump user suggested trying there and I honestly can't feel a thing! Im going to do them there as well now to vary my sites a bit. Good to try new sites. Not had cannula problems apart from they can't stay in for more than 48 hours anywhere on me or they get sore.

I think it's gonna be hard work trying to get in near the kidneys! :shock: in fact both sites I reckon I'll struggle with....!