INJECTING AT WORK

hrhmoo

Firstly hello, I am brand new to this site but really pleased I have found you all :)

Just want some advice from you all and maybe other experiences if you have any....

In my first week at a new company they asked me to 'refrain from doing my injections in front of anyone' and suggested maybe the hallway!!
The second day then then suggested the toilet....and now they are trying to tell me where and 'when' I am allowed to inject. I have never experienced problems at work or anywhere else for that matter, I managed really well and literally live a normal life but this is making me feel perhaps I do have a problem and I am really quite stressed about the whole thing now.
I understand that a lot of people would want a room to go into etc but I don't and it isn't particularly practical due to the fact I am on the fast acting insulin so inject as and when I eat etc....I am quite safe to others as carry a BD Safe Clip if I need to change needles out and about and have never had any kind of problem at any other company before...
Im pretty sure they are not allowed to do this and maybe this is discrimination? :(

Thank you for any comments/advice written

Mel x

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi hrhmoo.
Welcome to the forum.

Is it your boss who is telling you when, where etc to inject whilst at work, or is it just another employee

This is a clear breach of the Disability Discrimination Act and your employer should be fully aware of this.
Failure to comply with the duty to make reasonable adjustments - All employers, under the Act, have a duty to make reasonable adjustments for disabled employees to remove any disadvantage from which they may suffer as a result of their disability. For example, allowing a person with diabetes to
take extra breaks throughout the day in order to test blood glucose or to eat or inject insulin as required.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
In that case you definitely need to remind them about their responsibilty under the DDA. If you still have problems then contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau. They are very good at this sort of thing and it is all free.

Here is a link to the DDA advice from the Ukgov site.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeo ... DG_4001068

Makes interesting reading. You should take a copy to work and put on the
desk of said Manager..... :twisted:

Edited.
Plus this one in particular....
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeo ... DG_4001071

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
HRH
As Ken said
there are laws covering this
Don't you have a First aid room?
If your co-workers are too squeamish, then that would be the place. The toilet is quite unsuitable although probably the cleanest place there is.

hrhmoo

But what if I don't want to go anywhere else....I don't have a problem with it and no one has complained....surely they can't force me to go somewhere else? :?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
hrhmoo said:
But what if I don't want to go anywhere else....I don't have a problem with it and no one has complained....surely they can't force me to go somewhere else? :?

Hrh.
You shouldn't have to move somewhere else, but it pays to be flexible as well ? You know that the law is on your side They would have a get out clause if it was hazardous to either the processes around where you work, or some other similar reason.

You say the person is a Senior Manager. Presumably this person is answerable to someone else, maybe your H & S rep, or the Human Resources person. You have to take this higher and remind THEM of THEIR responsibilities. That is where to put your arguments and your objections.

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You say nobody's complained, but as you're new there maybe someone is squeamish but didn't know how to approach you about it, so they asked someone higher to have a word. Everyone in my office (in a hospital) knows I'm diabetic but I inject shielded by my desk or in the cloakroom so they don't have to watch. Its a delicate balance, but if you show you are trying to be discreet, they're less likely to make a fuss.

As others have said, your employer can't dictate when you can inject/test/eat, they must let you do so whenever your condition dictates. If your immediate work environment has no easy place to inject discreetly, they should provide somewhere suitable. The loo isn't suitable... kick the chief exec out of his office for 5 mins and inject there!!!

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
I agree, be as discrete as you have to be with regards to your collegues if they have a problem with 'needles' but perhaps you should ask them, maybe they need some educating?! As others have said however, the toilet is no place to be banished to take medication that you need to live :?

hrhmoo

Thank you for support...I have now raised complaint with them...however without appearing to 'go on' about this...I understand that if I 'wanted' a private place to go they would need to provide me with a suitable room but 'forcing' me to go seems really really bad....hmmm we shall see the outcome :D I am sure that they can't in fact otherwise if they go on the 'care of duty' then what about planes etc where we can take our equipment through.....its very interesting!!

cally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi..

For the Disability Discrimination Act to apply do you have to be registered as disabled?
Or does this happen automatically because I am diabetic?

I have never thought of myself as disabled because of my diabetes.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/Disa ... kplace.pdf

The beneficial effects of medical treatment are discounted when considering
whether someone is disabled. So, for example, while someone who has well
controlled diabetes thanks to a successful and well managed insulin regimen
may not have substantial negative effects on their day to day activities, take
the insulin away and the situation changes radically, allowing them to be
protected by the Act
Due to the fact that medication is disregarded, it is almost certain that all
insulin dependent diabetes sufferers are viewed as disabled for the purposes of
the Act (this is often not even disputed by employers)

Those people who manage by diet and exercise alone, may not be offered the
protection of the Act. However, this is by no means certain, since government
guidance on the issue provides that "if a disabled person is advised by a
medical practitioner to behave in a certain way in order to reduce the impact of
a disability, that might count as treatment to be disregarded". In other words,
if you have been advised by a nutritionist or doctor to follow a strict diet and
to take certain exercise on a regular basis, the assessment as to whether you
are disabled may have to take place in a world where you don't do the diet or
take the exercise;

If you read the document you will see that there are various criteria.

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Mel,
What do you do for a job? I could understand a supermarket not wanting you to inject sitting at the checkout, but I can't imagine many situations where it would be unacceptable.

I always ask if I'm in new company: "is anyone squeamish about needles" and no one has ever objected to me injecting - even in restaurants. Obviously, I don't ask the whole restaurant, just the people I'm with. :lol:

Sam.

hrhmoo

shedges said:
Mel,
What do you do for a job? I could understand a supermarket not wanting you to inject sitting at the checkout, but I can't imagine many situations where it would be unacceptable.

I always ask if I'm in new company: "is anyone squeamish about needles" and no one has ever objected to me injecting - even in restaurants. Obviously, I don't ask the whole restaurant, just the people I'm with. :lol:

Sam.

Hi Sam

Exactly we judge the daily situations we are in and I am the same as you NO ONE has ever complained or had a problem, most don't actually notice what I have done as I am so quick. I am in Sales so I should be out on the road most of the day anyway!! This should not have proved a major problem for them, however by making a problem out of it I now have a problem with them.....I have a meeting with them tomorrow and have taken legal advice so I shall await their response. If I had asked for a room to go in then fine but forcing me to go into a room is not ever going to suit me and I simply won't do it. If someone had a needle phobia then I would be happy for them to be moved away from me or suggest perhaps they go for some therapy regarding this :lol: ....as at least they are able to try and change this about them. Imagine if I had only had this a few months and was struggling to come to terms with it myself....it could easily push someone over the edge being made to feel what they do is so horrid it can't be done in front of anyone...

....sorry rant over :lol:

Mel

africandoll

hrhmoo said:
Firstly hello, I am brand new to this site but really pleased I have found you all :)

Just want some advice from you all and maybe other experiences if you have any....

In my first week at a new company they asked me to 'refrain from doing my injections in front of anyone' and suggested maybe the hallway!!
The second day then then suggested the toilet....and now they are trying to tell me where and 'when' I am allowed to inject. I have never experienced problems at work or anywhere else for that matter, I managed really well and literally live a normal life but this is making me feel perhaps I do have a problem and I am really quite stressed about the whole thing now.
I understand that a lot of people would want a room to go into etc but I don't and it isn't particularly practical due to the fact I am on the fast acting insulin so inject as and when I eat etc....I am quite safe to others as carry a BD Safe Clip if I need to change needles out and about and have never had any kind of problem at any other company before...
Im pretty sure they are not allowed to do this and maybe this is discrimination? :(

Thank you for any comments/advice written

Mel x
Mel,
You have nothing to be stressed about and they cant tell you when to take your insulin your body your rules.
I am shocked that people are acting so mindless about someone taking their insulin its not your fault you did not ask to have inject its becaus you need it,tell them to get of their high horse and dnt inject yourself in the toilet thats unhygenic.

I read about this same problem that another diabetic was having with his new job and people adviced him to take a look at the disability discrimination act.

Good luck and dont let them get to you,you deal with diabetes you can deal with mindless individuals.