1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Injecting in public

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Jimberlands, May 14, 2018.

1. Jimberlands

Jimberlands Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've been on a pump for as long as I can remember, however as of this year I decided to go back to injections; for a few reasons, though particularly because I felt like it was becoming 'too easy' I suppose. Nonetheless, I can understand why pulling my trousers down and doing an injection below the waist would be weird in public... But what about the arms/stomach? Is it weird to be doing that at a dinner table, or in a cinema, something like that? It feels strange, my friends are all used to it but it feels like I should be going somewhere more private to do it?

Another question following that actually - is it possible to do an injection through my clothes (assuming they're thin) or will I end up with some sort of deathly infection? Just an idea, would be nice if I could do it through my trouser-leg when I'm out, as I sometimes run out of 'public' places to inject.

Cheers
    Jim

• Like Like x 1
  2. novorapidboi26

novorapidboi26 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

For me these issues are/were non existent, however I soon realised that's not the case for others.....so you're not alone in your feelings....

The arms and stomach were my site of choice when out in public......it can be done discreetly, just as if you were scratching an itch...the feeling you have to go and do it in private is common, but you don't need to.....of course if you're happy to do that, that's OK too...

you can inject through clothes yes.....I never done it as I was always wearing jeans.....you can expect to get blunt needles quicker that way also, so getting fresh one on each time would be important if you were doing it...

• Like Like x 1
  3. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have never worried about injecting in public. It would be in my stomach and, really, no one even notices.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

To me there is a huge difference between doing something, like injecting, in public and doing it publicly.
    As long as you don't make a song and dance about it (or pull your trousers down in public), anyone who complains are the ones with a problem, not you.
    If I ever noticed anyone staring, I used to stare back ... not say anything, just stare. They turned away pretty quickly.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

I only do stomach and inject through my shirt (even at home, most of the time, as I'm too lazy to put my shirt back in my pants after injecting). I inject anywhere and everywhere, in any company, and have had the occasional question and one time a small scream from the person opposite from me, but no nasty reactions. And even with the screaming person it ended in having a good laugh and no more screaming with the injections for the next courses (it was a very long meal with six courses or so, so plenty of opportunity to get used to seeing someone injecting :p ).

• Like Like x 3
  6. Jimberlands

Jimberlands Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

That's a pretty good way of looking at it. I too stare back at people in those situations, so I'll just start doing that. Nice.

• Like Like x 2
  7. luv2spin

luv2spin Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

Do it Proudly... Do it however YOU AND ONLY YOU feel comfortable... I wouldn't do it through the cloths no matter how thin they are.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. mountaintom

mountaintom Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yeah i do it wherever I need to. I do it in the street sometimes.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

On the train, in meetings if there is food, wherever and whenever needed. I always feel it might look more suspicious if I go for the arm rather than the stomach but no one has pulled me up yet.
    One colleague at an awards ceremony did ask if I was 'going to do that here?' And I just said that the table was likely to be cleaner than the loo and carried on...

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. jlarsson

jlarsson Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've never done it through my clothes which to me seems like a bad idea both for the needle itself and the state of the clothes, but injecting in public is perfectly fine. I've never had anyone call me out or anything, at most I've had some weird looks probably wondering what the hell I'm doing.

• Like Like x 3
  11. kevinfitzgerald

kevinfitzgerald Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have never worried about injecting in public. I am discreet though so if at a table in a restaurant I will inject into my stomach (below the table) If anyone complains it will be because they are being nosy..

I did however the other week inject whilst walking down the High Road as I had forgotten to take my morning Novorapid with my breakfast and sugars felt very high.

If it upsets people it really is their issue not mine. As stated I will always try to be as discreet as possible and I will always be aware if there are children present.

It's a medication I need to stay alive and I'm not going to apologies to anyone for that.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Hi. I inject at the table into the stomach and try to be discreet. No one ever seems to notice. I did this once in a restaurant and looked up and someone on another table was doing the same!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  13. kevinfitzgerald

kevinfitzgerald Type 1 · Well-Known Member

That has happened to me also some years back. I was on a train though and was doing it at the same time as a young lady sitting across from me..

She smiled....... And then it ended!

• Like Like x 3
    • Hug Hug x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Radinator

Radinator Type 2 · Newbie

I'm a train conductor and have to do it whilst on the train. I try to go to a discreet part of the train (a middle cab if it's 8 or 12 coaches long or unoccupied first class). I've have been stared at by passengers and most are discreet about it. One time I had a passenger blatantly staring and when I walked past he asked me what I was injecting. I naturally said heroin and carried on walking past. I did call my line manager and let him know just in case there was a complaint lol. I always do my stomach, as for injecting through my clothes I'm to worried I might end up with half my trousers or shirt embedded in my skin

• Like Like x 1
  15. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

I just do it wherever and whenever I need to. The more matter of fact you are about,it, the less likely people are to even notice , I’ve found. I’ve been asked when our for food if I’m going to do an injection, and nine times out of ten I’ve already done it without anyone noticing. I’ll get skin out if I’m at home, but that’s not always possible when I’m out (long dress, anyone?) so I’ll go through clothes. Not bike leathers though ;)

• Like Like x 1
  16. jlarsson

jlarsson Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity for those of you who do inject through your clothes, have you ruined any clothes because of it, and what do you do about stains etc?

17. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

Most of my clothes are black, so it doesn’t matter :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't own any clothes that care about stains. Actually worn my shirt inside out all day today and only just found out.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  19. Glucobabu

Glucobabu Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I was sitting next to an elderly gentleman on a flight recently when I did a blood test and also injected myself. A little while into the flight we started chatting and the subject turned to health, fitness etc. So I naturally mentioned my diabetes. He was very curious to know about Type 1 and Type 2 etc and how they were different. He wondered how I did my blood test, injection etc. Obviously he hadn’t noticed me do them both right next to him! I was of course pleased to show him my meter, pen, needles etc. He was well impressed and thanked me profusely for enlightening him on the subject. He was a wonderfully curious retired teacher.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  20. damianpclow

damianpclow Type 1 · Member

I usually inject in the stomach and often inject through my t-shirt when eating out in public. this is fine. Do you use single use needles as I do? just make sure you have sufficient needles for the amount of time you are likely to be out.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook