1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Injecting in public

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Jimberlands, May 14, 2018.

1. Mick1959

Mick1959 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

While I have great sympathy with those who have to inject, I think in the current climate where everyone seems to take offence at the smallest thing, discretion is called for, by that I mean just carry on as normal and not make it obvious what you are doing.

Otherwise some professional offence taker, could make your life a misery for a short moment in time by drawing attention to you.

To me it should be up there with breast feeding and permissible , but we also have to appreciate the majority of the public do not understand or appreciate why someone injects and may think drug user.

Perhaps those who take offence would like those that have to inject wear Hi-Vis with Diabetic emblazoned upon it

2. damianpclow

damianpclow Type 1 · Member

Well said Mick. Maybe us diabetics could get our own back and take offence at people taking paracetamol in public, after all it, like insulin, is a legal drug, see how people react then!

• Like Like x 2
  3. db89

db89 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm fairly sure that's what happens and how most of us probably approach it. Can't think of an occasion where I've waved the pen around and announced loudly my intention to plunge it into me.

I've learnt over time to react proportionately and so far haven't needed to go beyond staring somebody back down during the act of injecting. Not my problem if I've not made a song and dance about it myself (see previous point).

If they want to know they can ask without making a scene. If they want to make a scene sod 'em. If it's come to it, people have backed down all embarrassed after trying to be clever with a semi-mute 'Oh' usually. You can tell from the inflection and tone whether there's an interest or whether they're just trying to be an (for lack of a better term I can use without the mods amending me) ignorant fool.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

I used to inject WHILE breastfeeding in public :smug:

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. videoman

videoman Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Have allways injected in public if required to do so,aas to injectic through clothes , yes it does work as I normally ,when out inject in my stomach

6. Suzypooh77

Suzypooh77 Type 1 · Member

I've always done it wherever I am and quite often injected through my clothes with no issues at all. Then this week I developed cellulitus, which is an infection in my legs. Very painful and uncomfortable by the way and I'm now on antibiotics, antihistamines and an antibiotic steroid cream. My DSN thinks I got it because I inject through my clothes as I have no other open sores or cuts that I could have got it from. Just a wee warning of the risks.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Dodo

Dodo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm quite happy to inject in public, it is so quick to do these days with a pen. I have tried injecting through clothing but you can almost guarantee that's the time I will draw blood. Blood stains don't look great.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. KenBachelor

KenBachelor Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've been injecting for over 60 years and when I started, it involved a spirit case, a glass syringe and a 1" x 24g needle. In those days I used the airport medical centre or the loo, although I was never very keen on the loo.

Oh what a blessing the pen was when it came into being, as now I can pull my shirt up anywhere and show off about a couple of inches of tummy, but I don't think anybody has ever noticed. I always use a new needle, but I certainly wouldn't inject through my clothes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. snowleopard

snowleopard Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have a friend who has been T1 for nearly 50 years. She told me that in the old days when she used a conventional syringe she sometimes got abuse from those who assumed she was a junkie shooting up. These days with a pen it's not obvious at all that you're injecting as the needle part is almost invisible. When out in public I always inject through my shirt and have never experienced ill-effects either to me or the shirt. I always use single-use needles and, as the tip is cut diagonally, there is nothing to snag fabric.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. Fragola

Fragola Type 1 · Newbie

Hey I inject through my clothes often since I have to move all the time for work. A great costumers trick if a drop of blood gets loose: spit on it, just a dab of your own saliva will digest the blood almost immediately, the rinse with clear water. That's it, simple!

• Informative Informative x 2
  11. Mike_Speakman

Mike_Speakman Type 2 · Newbie

I would avoid injecting through clothes. It would be a bad idea to catch a piece of fabric on the needle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. bgst

bgst Type 1 · Member

I’ve been diabetic for 28 years and always injected in public. At most I have had a “are you diabetic (or is that something else you want to share with me?)” and has typically ended up in a discussion about diabetes. I have never had anyone getting anxious or uppity about it, with the exception of some people with a real needle phobia. In this case the discussion has quickly turned from diabetes to needle phobias!

Feel free to be confident about your diabetes - you may meet some interesting people!

• Like Like x 3
  13. robertconroy

robertconroy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

14. robertconroy

robertconroy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Been doing that for over 10 years. No problems.

15. kev-w

kev-w Type 1 · Well-Known Member

In the early days with a syringe & bottle I'd hide in a toilet for a jab, but once I had a pen then anywhere really that's comfortable and has my back to a wall, I've never injected through clothes in 33 years >50k injections, nor would I as the needle has a 50/50 chance of shearing a piece of fabric to passing thru the weave, or look at a hole punch :)

I try to be discreet, but I've had to stare at people staring at me a good few times. I guess being just short of 6 feet with tats and a bald head helps in those circumstances :p as they'll just think I'm a junky and leave me be with a tut....

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. donnieboy

donnieboy Prefer not to say · Member

I just moved to a pump but injected through my clothes all the time and never suffered for it. I consider it akin to breast feeding. Some people are put off but I got pretty sneaky and no one really noticed after a while. I injected a lot into my upper thighs.

17. donnieboy

donnieboy Prefer not to say · Member

There have been occasions when I pricked a capillary and bled a bit, thus ruining the clothing.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks will try this, sick to death of spotted clothes. Don’t inject through them, but always manage to get blood on favourite items.

19. ivorgreen

ivorgreen Type 2 · Newbie

I always injected straight into my flesh until I saw a friend who happens to be a doctor injecting through his trousers.
    I asked him about contamination from his clothing he replied that in twenty years he'd never been affected, now if I find myself in a bit of a tight spot such as in a restaurant I inject straight through my trousers. You must use single use needles or you run the risk of them being blunted by the material.

20. New2T1D

New2T1D Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

I love the fact that my son, dx 18 months ago and now aged 17, is totally unfazed by injecting at the table, in school, with friends... (So proud of him!) We've been advised by the diabetes medical team NOT to inject in toilets for hygiene regions or through clothing, as can cause site infection. Though Dr Bernstein seems to say it's ok to inject through a shirt. Maybe that's if you use long needles and not a pen. I hope this helps :)

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook