Injecting & testing in public

BlueQ

Hello

Im starting a new job next week but I'm really worried.

I was diagnosed as T1 in December but up to now I've been working from home so I haven't really injected in public or worried about the presence of others. I can't help but feel a bit nervous about injecting or testing in public or in the workplace. Im okay doing it around my family but not strangers. I really don't want to have a full on conversation about it or freak anyone out.

I also don't fancy injecting in a toilet but I just want to keep my diagnosis private for now.

What did you do and how did you handle injecting in public for the first time? Am I overreacting? I would really like to hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

iHs

Re: Injecting & testing in public

Hi

Will you be working within an office environment or in a factory?

iHs

Hi

There's nothing to stop you from doing your bg test from within your desk drawer. That way none of your work colleagues will see you do a test. Try to get a finger pricker that doesn't make too much of the click noise or try to do your tests when there is a fair amount of background noise going on in your office (not deafly silence).

Where doing your injections are concerned, if you dont want anyone to see you do them, you can go to the loos and just inject standing beside the sinks as long as they are empty. Ive done injections here, there and everywhere... Some of them have been done straight into my tummy through a t-shirt and funnily enough, no one has even noticed what I have done. I think attention comes when diabetics lift up their clothing and show bare skin....

Try not to worry, you'll find your own way of dealing with your injections and the bg tests etc.

Just remember to take some sweets or glucose tabs with you in case you feel that a hypo might be coming and test your bg levels regularly as that can help to prevent many a hypo. If you do feel low, deal with it straight away and not 15mins later because you are busy doing something in the office.....

I take it that your emplouer does know that you are a type 1 diabetic?

BlueQ

iHs said:
Hi

There's nothing to stop you from doing your bg test from within your desk drawer. That way none of your work colleagues will see you do a test. Try to get a finger pricker that doesn't make too much of the click noise or try to do your tests when there is a fair amount of background noise going on in your office (not deafly silence).

Where doing your injections are concerned, if you dont want anyone to see you do them, you can go to the loos and just inject standing beside the sinks as long as they are empty. Ive done injections here, there and everywhere... Some of them have been done straight into my tummy through a t-shirt and funnily enough, no one has even noticed what I have done. I think attention comes when diabetics lift up their clothing and show bare skin....

Try not to worry, you'll find your own way of dealing with your injections and the bg tests etc.

Just remember to take some sweets or glucose tabs with you in case you feel that a hypo might be coming and test your bg levels regularly as that can help to prevent many a hypo. If you do feel low, deal with it straight away and not 15mins later because you are busy doing something in the office.....

I take it that your employer does know that you are a type 1 diabetic?

Ive never tried doing it through my clothes ill give that a go and see how I do with that!

For now I use jelly babies, but I'd like to get the glucose gel or tabs.

Yes they know, I declared it on my pre-employment form.

Thanks for the advice and for responding - I feel less nervous about it now what you said makes a lot of sense.

QuirkyBit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

When I was on my DAFNE course the nurse on it stated never to inject through clothing. The needle can catch a thread, insert into your stomach and cause infection. Also, what happens if you bleed after injecting? Then you would definatly have to explain a blood soaked shirt :p

I have always struggled with this, but in my new job I just decided to be open with them and I just test and inject by my desk. I just said "I'm diabetic so I need to inject before eating. I'll try and be discreet.". I figured, they can't sack me for it and if they cause a fuss then I don't want to work with those kinds of people anyway. They just said that's fine, made a joke about "shooting up" and that was that. I feel much more comfortable about my diabetes in this job than any before, and it's because I was open about it.

Previously I have injected in the toilet which is not hygenic, or gone to my car and done it there. Even though they knew I had diabetes, it kind of made me feel like I had a dirty secret. Once you get into a routine of doing it a certain way it's hard to break it.

carol39

I work in a care home and do my blood sugar on the floor l work on my team members are very support do not let your diabetic rule you live you need to be the one in control as it good for work members to know you got diabetic so there they if you had a hypo

beanz75

HI, I work in a care home too and also test and inject at work. It is very handy for them to know about being diabetic in case anything happens and they are not sure how to deal with you. I really think you should be honest, its nothing to be ashamed of :)

BobCornelius

Hi BlueQ,

I work in hospital operating theatres, and test / inject whenever I need to, nobody bats an eyelid! It's important my colleagues know about it, if I had a hypo whilst scrubbed for an operation they need to know what to do!

I also test and inject out and about in restaurants or shops, just before Christmas I was shopping in Sainsburys with wife and youngest son, felt a hypo coming on, so tested right there in the cat food aisle! Sure enough, I was hypo, so took some glucotabs from my bag, and carried on shopping!

Diabetes is a common condition, most people know you cant 'catch it' from another, in my experience ( albeit only a couple of years), people aren't threatened by diabetes so they aren't that worried by it!

Ultimately, I control my diabetes, it doesn't control me!

So I'd say do what you need to, when you need to, without fear or worry! People will get over it or on with it!

:)

Bob

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying

BlueQ said:
Hello

Im starting a new job next week but I'm really worried.

I was diagnosed as T1 in December but up to now I've been working from home so I haven't really injected in public or worried about the presence of others. I can't help but feel a bit nervous about injecting or testing in public or in the workplace. Im okay doing it around my family but not strangers. I really don't want to have a full on conversation about it or freak anyone out.

I also don't fancy injecting in a toilet but I just want to keep my diagnosis private for now.

What did you do and how did you handle injecting in public for the first time? Am I overreacting? I would really like to hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks
Hello BlueQ.

No you are not overreacting at all .
Totally understand your feelings with being a bit nervous and wary of doing your blood sugar tests
and insulin shots in front of strangers .
Plus its a brand new job and start for you .

To feel nervous or wary 'is' normal I "did" but honestly as time goes by it becomes second nature .
You and your work collegues will not even notice ...
It does take time to reach this point I admit but it can be done .

Have you explained to your employers that you are diabetic with these needs to attend to
during your working hours?
This is the best and first place to start ...
A good employer should let a line or department manager/supervisor know firstly .
Then you could discuss things with them upon starting your new job.
Explain your regime , ask if can find a room available for you [not the loo's either ]
To use to do your insulin shots etc...
Will add a link here about this for you to browse through.

Here it is .

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24530&p=223835&hilit=never+inject+in+a+toilet#p223835

Hope this helps.
Ask any other questions you feel/need to .

Anna.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been injecting through clothing in public places for years. Diabetes team have no problem with it and I have never had any trouble at injection sites. In my own experience with injections in the workplace, people can be a little uncomfortable initially but once they have seen it a couple of times it just becomes normal.

Paulasensio

I am an injecting militant . When I need to inject I just pull my shirt up enough to reveal an inch of tummy and I inject. I am pretty discreet and will turn the other way or do it close to a table or desk but I refuse to leave a room. I have never had any negative reaction (apart from my parents who hate to see me having to inject) and people who notice normally have a question/story to tell/ know somebody who has T1. In a similar way I would never expect a breast feeding mother to feed her baby in a toilet.

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly

When I was on injections I just used to pull up my shirt a little and go for it. To be honest nobody really notices or says anything because no one is looking at you! I think it's the fear of people looking at you but don't worry. Just go for it. After a few public injections you'll soon not be bothered by it :D

Finzi

Faith* said:
When I was on injections I just used to pull up my shirt a little and go for it. To be honest nobody really notices or says anything because no one is looking at you! I think it's the fear of people looking at you but don't worry. Just go for it. After a few public injections you'll soon not be bothered by it :D

I'm not type 1 so I'm just curious - forgive me - people often mention pulling up their shirts and injecting in their tummies (which wouldn't bother me to see in the slightest, by the way) but wouldn't it be easier to inject, say, into your forearm or something like that? Or can't you do it there?

Type 2 on Metformin, diagnosed Jan 2013, ultra low carber, Hba1C at diagnosis 8% (64), average BS now between 5 and 6 mmol.

lynde89

They only times I really get nervous injecting in public is if they're are people walking by, mainly kiddies or waiters who might knock into me.

I test & inject at my desk all the time, I was having a conversation with 2 guys in my office the other day (1 of whom is the director) about a meeting with an architect while doing my insulin, it's just the norm now. The same whilst I'm in meetings. I'm just a lady trying to take care of herself :)

I have had issues with one person who would make comments from time to time, quite mean, & it was hurtful, it got to the point where I did not want to attend my university because of it & wouldn't inject or test incase they made the comments again, standing strong as individual is hard sometimes, but when I started to talk to other people about it the amount of support I had was amazing. Although of course I was still scared of crying infront of this certain person if/when it happened again.
I think it all boils down to confidence & making it part of the norm, as long as you are comfortable doing it most people won't even notice.

BlueQ

Thank you for your words of support and thanks for all the replies! It is really helpful hearing all of your experiences

I've got few things to consider from you all, but it seems you think it best to just be upfront from the start. I'm going to have to discuss this with my new line manager or supervisor so they are aware, but Im just dreading the moment.

In answer to Finzi's suggestion about injecting somewhere other than the tummy, I could inject in the upper arm or the inner thigh but if I remember correctly, it will take longer for my Novorapid to work instead of the usual 15 minutes or so - I'd have to test that at home first to see its effects.

Ill keep you all updated on what happens ...

Finzi

Lol I'd imagine that inner thigh would be a bit more exposing even than the tummy!

Type 2 on Metformin, diagnosed Jan 2013, ultra low carber, Hba1C at diagnosis 8% (64), average BS now between 5 and 6 mmol.

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I inject wherever I am and just try and be discreet about it. If someone is near me I usually check to see if they mind needles first though as not everyone likes to see them....as I found with one of my workmates!! :D But he was still fine about it as long as I warned him first so he could look away.
If you are wearing a jacket or cardigan you can often hold it in front of where you are injecting to hide it from view mainly so it becomes even more discreet.
Don't let anyone try and banish you to the toilets....would they take tablets or cough medicines etc in the toilets??
Many folks don't even notice you have actually done your jab if you just carry on as if it is a regular procedure and not something to be ashamed of so you get worried over nothing most of the time.
Good luck in your new job and I hope you get a good set of workmates who will support you and accept everything happily.
Best wishes
Angie

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly

Finzi said:
Faith* said:

I'm not type 1 so I'm just curious - forgive me - people often mention pulling up their shirts and injecting in their tummies (which wouldn't bother me to see in the slightest, by the way) but wouldn't it be easier to inject, say, into your forearm or something like that? Or can't you do it there?

You have to inject into subcutaneous fat such as stomach, tops of thighs, buttocks, outer area of your arms. I believe some people do there blood glucose tests via there forearm though. I stick with my finger tips :D

BlueQ

Finzi said:
Lol I'd imagine that inner thigh would be a bit more exposing even than the tummy!

Lol that was meant to be outer thigh