Injecting

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys, Can you elucidate?

I've just started injecting NovoRapid in my belly and take 1u generally. But I've twice noticed something I never see injecting basal in my thighs. I keep the pen button depressed for about 10 seconds, then draw the needle out slowly. My DN told me to wait 10 more secs with it half out. Even so, though, I've twice noticed that a large bubble of insulin has come out with the needle. Why is this? Am I getting the dose? How can I stop it?

All advice welcome. I'm wondering if it's anything to do with the (very) special qualities of my belly fat. I'm positively scrawny these days, but I still have some flobber on tummy.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You will always get some insulin which is visible at the end of the needle when you withdraw it Lucy, as long as you prime the needle before dialling up the 1 unit there shouldn't be a problem.

You can leave the needle under the skin for much longer if you want, not sure why your DSN has said to leave the needle half way in for 10 seconds, just inject the insulin and leave it as it is for 15 seconds and see if that makes a difference.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
This wasn't a tiny bubble on the end of the needle though: it was quite a big blob of insulin on my skin where I had withdrawn the needle. It was really quite large. As if the insulin dose had all come out when I withdrew the needle. Any thoughts?

L.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
So it's leakage from the injection site. Just leave the needle under the skin longer Lucy, and don't withdraw the needle half way, try counting to 20-30 seconds (slowly) and see if that works.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It did work Noblehead. Thanks, as always.

That's good to hear Lucy, still not sure why your DSN said to pull the needle half way out and then count to 10 :confused:

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had a couple of similar occurrences with the Novopen Echo - it's the only pen I've ever found this with. What I do now when injecting Levemir is prime the pen, dial up two units, tap a few times and air shot the two units; dial the amount I'm going to inject, put the needle in and hold the plunger down with the needle in for a slow count to 10, release the plunger and then push it in and release it again before withdrawing the needle.

Smidge

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That's good to hear Lucy, still not sure why your DSN said to pull the needle half way out and then count to 10 :confused:
I thought it was to help make sure that large doses are absorbed (tho my doses are teeny). But it may have been a Danish to English translation mistake.

Last edited by a moderator:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I thought it was to help make sure that large fuses are absorbed ( but my doses are teeny). But it may have been a Danish to English translation mistake.

I'm not sure Lucy tbh, I would have thought if anyone was on large insulin doses then they would be better split dosing to get better absorption, doesn't Bernstein say something along these lines that anything over 7 units should be split..............or I'm I mistaken? Sorry I've not read the book.

Reactions: 3 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not sure Lucy tbh, I would have thought if anyone was on large insulin doses then they would be better split dosing to get better absorption, doesn't Bernstein say something along these lines that anything over 7 units should be split..............or I'm I mistaken? Sorry I've not read the book.
Yes he does say that. Has to be good sense, doesn't it. Most people don't seem to have had it suggested though.

Last edited by a moderator:

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've run a week of splitting up my lantus and in all honesty seen no identifiable difference on my blood sugars, but it is only 10-15u at a time. It would alleviate the straight into muscle issue though.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
This wasn't a tiny bubble on the end of the needle though: it was quite a big blob of insulin on my skin where I had withdrawn the needle. It was really quite large. As if the insulin dose had all come out when I withdrew the needle. Any thoughts?

L.
Try count off up to 10 - this ensures all insulin is administered into subtaneous fat layer
within your skin fully .
Always press plunger on pen slowly too - doing it fast can sting causing pain
and risk force of insulin in/out too quickly .
It is normal to have a teardrop of insulin sat on the needle tip after withdrawing your needle .