Injection bruises

Daver

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Malicious liars, people who interrupt, war.
Hi All,

Everything seems to still be going good since being diagnosed earlier in the year, but more recently I've noticed that I'm occasionally bruising where I've injected. Is this normal? Is it because it's getting warmer? I'm careful to do the 90 degree angle etc and haven't risked injecting through clothes. I find it most comfortable to inject in my legs - a) it doesn't hurt and b) whilst on holiday, the bruising isn't seen.

I'm on Novorapid and Levemir. I've now split the levemir to take it in two doses of 7 instead of one dose of 14 (was experiencing morning highs which this has now sorted). And take (roughly) 4, 2, 6 of Novorapid for breaky, lunch & dinner respectively.

Your thoughts are much appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

KerryH

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there Dave,
Its noting to worry about. I'e been a diabetic for 25 years and my legs have got some bruising. Its just when you catch the vein and it bleeds. I mainly to do inject in my legs because of the bruising, so it can't been seen on your arms.
Regards Kes xxx :)

Daver

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Malicious liars, people who interrupt, war.
Magic - thanks Kes.

Dave

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My daughter often has small bruises where the injection site is. It's nothing to worry about.

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
hi,

thats life as a diabetic....keep smiling and approach it with a sense of humor....its harmless getting bruises.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Daver said:
I'm careful to do the 90 degree angle etc

Subcutaneous shots can be given straight in at a 90 degree angle, or at a 45 degree angle. Give the shot straight in at a 90 degree angle if 2 inches of skin can be grasped between your thumb and first (index) finger. If only 1 inch of skin can be grasped, give the shot at a 45 degree angle.

Source : http://www.drugs.com/cg/how-to-give-a-s ... z0wJG5UOh8

If you can't 'pinch 2 inches ' maybe you should try a 45º angle to see if the bruising is less.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
5mm and for many adults 6mm needles don't need a pinch at all.(It was only when I started reading UK forums I heard about 'pinching' up, I used small needles from the start and no one even mentioned it.)
Also reusing needles may lead to more bruising.

iHs

4mm pen needles are also available now and are a bit thinner than the 5mm ones. Look at BD :)

samkw

i used the 5mm needles when i used the pens.
but im on the 8mm now with my pump.
i still get bruises its just where i hit a vein or whatever.
bit annoying as i take a long time to heal.